News: Tainted NRL needs rebrand

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>AN A-LEAGUE style revamp of the game is under consideration amid claims that the NRL brand has become so tarnished a change of name is needed.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4239-tainted-nrl-needs-rebrand.html">Read the full article</a>

The boffins that run the ARL enjoy the free sandwiches more than any of our mob

Until News Ltd genuinely exits ownership and control of the game, we may as well be honest and rebrand it MRL ... Murdoch Rugby League.

Putting a mercedes badge on a ford will not change a thing.

Gallop needs to go bfore any rebranding can start

The Gallop Cup

The Brisbane Broncos Shield

News Limited Cup - (can be only won by a team owned or previously owned by News Ltd)

The Queensland Cup

the C-League

A-League is taken
B-League would go to AFL because its more popular

so that leaves us with C-League :)

Why not RLA (Rugby League - Australia)?

bring back arko and quale and call it the ARL

Our game before those news limited whores got involved.

Piss off gallop
piss off finch, harrigan and ANALsely

and revoke all press previledges too those dogs at the telegraph

theres a good start

We cant really call it "Australian Rugby League" with New Zealand in the competition and with everyone crying out for the islands and papua to get involved

Cliffy Gc link said:

Piss off gallop

theres a good start

Yeah, I'd prefer that the ARL runs the game again (much like the ACB did with cricket after Packer's WSC) but if that can't be because of a News Ltd condition for them to step aside for another independent body to run the game then RLA as I suggested in the other post is the closest thing that I can think of.

Cliffy Gc link said:

Piss off gallop

theres a good start

Let's examine your claims about the Arko and Quale golden years Cliffy.  According to Gallop and his News Ltd bosses, News Ltd brought professional administration to the game and got rid of those ARL amateurs. He is loudly bragging today that crowds are approaching the highest since his involvement.  Just over three million spectators.

A closer inspection shows that crowd levels STILL haven't reached the level at the time of the News Ltd takeover of the game. After 12 years of News Ltd "professional administration" we see that 1995 is still the record for crowd numbers. Remember all the promises of how News Ltd was going to make Rugby League a true world game?

Since 1995 the Australian population has grown by over 16%.  To just maintain the status quo, before any real expansion, crowd numbers should have surpassed 3.5 million this year.  So we will be half a million spectators short in this "record" year that Gallop is crowing so loudly about. We have gone backwards by half a million spectators under Gallop's reign.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/02/2674785.htm

And to back up the facts from Rex are the thoughts from Steve Mascord who lays bare the lies dished up.

"I COULD hardly believe my eyes on Sunday when I saw NRL chief executive David Gallop use crowd figures to support his argument that the League was going great despite all the controversies of 2009.

That is, attendance fugures which have recently been proven to be, at best, extremely rubbery and at worst just plain fake.

At Rugby League Week we went to the annual reports of several stadia and compared the crowds listed with those announced publically.

We found that at WIN Stadium, Parramatta Stadium and Skilled Park, not one number in the periods covered by the annual reports tallied up with that which was released to the public.

And an official from Parramatta Stadium openly admitted it was "common practice" for the hirer to inflate the figures agreed upon privately with the venue. Crowd figures were only available in annual reports for six venues.

Our story alleged the that rugby league and some of its clubs were deliberately exagerating how well their business was going to create a false impression in the market place.

And yet aside from Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle - who said there were first-year ticketing glitches at Robina - no-one bothered to deny the accusation and there was not one angry phone call from any official when the story appeared.

It's one thing for NRL officials to contend that everyone inflates their crowds, so what's the big deal (although if a club cheated the salary cap and used a similar argument I'd suggest it would get short shrift)?

But to come out less than two months later and claim that the game is flying because this year's fake crowd figures are up on last year's fake crowd figures is the height of arrogance and treats all rugby league followers like imbeciles.

And what is more nefarious is that the same dubious figures will be used to sell sponsorships in the months ahead - creating wealth for the game under false pretenses."

i personally believe the AFL do the same thing.

Watch sports tonight a few weeks back and they showed highlights of 3 games at etihad stadium, the crowrds reported varied between about 34K and 39k yet on the TV you could clearly see a major discrepency.

The 34K looked about 15 - 20K and certainly would not have been more than half the crowd in for the 39K match

Its my information that Gallop has been setting out how he can leave the game. The current release of the "Games Figures" is one confirming indicator.

Fluffy link said:
i personally believe the AFL do the same thing.

Watch sports tonight a few weeks back and they showed highlights of 3 games at etihad stadium, the crowrds reported varied between about 34K and 39k yet on the TV you could clearly see a major discrepency.

The 34K looked about 15 - 20K and certainly would not have been more than half the crowd in for the 39K match

didn't they give out heaps of free to tickets to rival clubs, to prop-up numbers!?

Dan link said:
We cant really call it \"Australian Rugby League\" with New Zealand in the competition and with everyone crying out for the islands and papua to get involved

How about 'Pacific League'....or 'Pacific Nations Rugby League'..PNRL?

that way we can introduce Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG in the near future..and at the same time not make the sheep shaggeers feel left out. Sorry Kiwi, had to lay the boot in!

Rex link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=181553.msg239485#msg239485 date=1251872954]

Piss off gallop

theres a good start

Let's examine your claims about the Arko and Quale golden years Cliffy.  According to Gallop and his News Ltd bosses, News Ltd brought professional administration to the game and got rid of those ARL amateurs. He is loudly bragging today that crowds are approaching the highest since his involvement.  Just over three million spectators.

A closer inspection shows that crowd levels STILL haven't reached the level at the time of the News Ltd takeover of the game. After 12 years of News Ltd "professional administration" we see that 1995 is still the record for crowd numbers. Remember all the promises of how News Ltd was going to make Rugby League a true world game?

Since 1995 the Australian population has grown by over 16%.  To just maintain the status quo, before any real expansion, crowd numbers should have surpassed 3.5 million this year.  So we will be half a million spectators short in this "record" year that Gallop is crowing so loudly about. We have gone backwards by half a million spectators under Gallop's reign.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/02/2674785.htm
[/quote]

We also cannot forget that 1995 was a 20 team competition so there may have been more games played in the regular season, info from wikipedia states that in 1995 there were 229 games played to 201 in the year 2008, i am assuming that 2009 is the same as last year.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2