News: Season a failure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY prop Brent Kite has described the Sea Eagles’ season a failure following their brave exit from the NRL premiership.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5156-season-a-failure.html">Read the full article</a>

I dont agree.

I always thought we would finish 6 - 8th and that is how it panned out

Without injuries and t full strengt we are easily a top 4 side. It is very disappointing but injuries are part of the game. Just not happy with the suspensions.

This team close to full strength and with better understanding of the rules would have ran 2nd or 3rd and made the grand final. I have no doubt about that.

So it is obviously disappointing.

But I think after the roosters debacle I had made peace with myself that they were on the outer this year.

I dont think it really matters what we think. As a player group , you have to believe you can win the comp. Anything else is like souths really. So for the players and remember this is an article quoting a player, they feel they have failed as there goal would have been to win it.

I agree Dan. While I'm as gutted as anyone to not make more of an impact, you've got to look at the reality. At the start of the season I thought untried halves combo, lack of forward depth, and Snake recovering from serious injury and court case over his head. I was hoping for top four but realistically thought 5 or 6. However, if you told me then we'd lose Snake and Wolfy for the season, Choc would play most of the season on one leg, lose Matai and Gift to suspension at a crucial time and be on the end of some atrocious ref decisions, I would have said we will struggle to make the finals. The problem I see is we still have these problems. Snake knees still a concern even if he's available to play after the court case and we still have a lack of forward depth. I can still only see 5-6 at best for next year.

Top 8 with rookie halves is a good return.

Next year i expect a 5 - 8 finish again then to start pushing up the table in 2012

I agree with the comments but what annoys me more is hearing people saying the Rabbits had a good season and didnt make the 8 but Manly failed this season. The Rabbits have spent so much money on their roster and would be more like us in 2006 and should make the 8. They failed and have failed for their second year. In all reality if they are being compared to us in the rebuilding stage they should win the premiership next year.

Also their fans see this as a good year and again they have failed and because they see it as improvement = they will never become a force. 

Rambo1987 link said:
I agree with the comments but what annoys me more is hearing people saying the Rabbits had a good season and didnt make the 8 but Manly failed this season. The Rabbits have spent so much money on their roster and would be more like us in 2006 and should make the 8. They failed and have failed for their second year. In all reality if they are being compared to us in the rebuilding stage they should win the premiership next year.

Also their fans see this as a good year and again they have failed and because they see it as improvement = they will never become a force. 

The Rabbitohs are looking at it as the Glass half full and not half empty.

I too am disappointed with our finish this season especially after losing the first 2 games the way we did.  Add to that some major refereeing blunders then we did finish top 4.  With the injuries we now have we probably still would of been knocked out in the 1st or 2nd week of the finals.

What we as fans need to do now is look forward not backward into 2011.  Forget about 2010 and just move forward and start afresh.

Souths had 12-13 injuries well into the season, my mate tells me they never had their full strength pack nearly all year. We fell apart at the end of the season.

We really finished 9th, it's just that Melbourne's wins were not counted.
I think we had a disappointing season knowing how well we did sometimes compete, such as the two wins against Melbourne (the only team to achieve this), and the impressive first clash against Illawarra.
In other matches we had blindingly-good first halves, and shocking second halves.
There's no doubt that, at full strength (on paper) we could have won the comp. But I've yet to hear a reason for all our second half-blow-outs, other than we weren't fit enough. If that is the case then our on-field failure can be sheeted home to off-field reasons.

Barry Hyland link said:
. . . But I've yet to hear a reason for all our second half-blow-outs, other than we weren't fit enough. If that is the case then our on-field failure can be sheeted home to off-field reasons.
Yet to hear a reason? It has been suggested here many times that inexperience in key positions would obviously be a factor in our inability to close out some games in which we'd been in the box seat. Pretty darn obvious I would have thought.

Barry Hyland link said:
We really finished 9th, it's just that Melbourne's wins were not counted.

I see this line on here from time to time, and it really annoys me

There is a bloody good reason Melbourne finished 16th. We made the top 8 fair and square

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Barry Hyland link=topic=185329.msg294595#msg294595 date=1284429307]

. . . But I've yet to hear a reason for all our second half-blow-outs, other than we weren't fit enough. If that is the case then our on-field failure can be sheeted home to off-field reasons.
Yet to hear a reason? It has been suggested here many times that inexperience in key positions would obviously be a factor in our inability to close out some games in which we'd been in the box seat. Pretty darn obvious I would have thought.

Right. Now I understand. It was all Hodkinson's fault. So that's why he played every match.
Problem solved. He's off to the Dogs.
No, wait on, DCE is even less inexperienced. So by your reckoning it's obvious we are stuffed again next season.
[/quote]

It was but not from most of the players (not going to say who,you all know) however the injuries killed us,i can forgive the suspensions,even Matai's

Barry I don’t think we are obviously stuffed next year at all.
If we happened to lose both Foran and Lyon, and had to go with another 2 brand new halves, then yes we’d probably struggle in a similar fashion.
Otherwise, Foran has gained a lot of valuable experience this year, so even if we go with DCE we should be better off than this year on the score of halves experience.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6