News: Sea Eagles pair play down spat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<div class="articleBody" /><p>Manly pair Matt Orford and Anthony Watmough offered a cuddle for the cameras and then defended their heated argument in Saturday night's upset loss to South Sydney as nothing more than a show of passion.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4167-sea-eagles-pair-play-down-spat.html">Read the full article</a>

Manly's Anthony Watmough and Matt Orford get over on-field spat
By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph August 12, 2009

IT COULD be Manly's kiss of life.

On a day when coach Des Hasler dumped a star player and made three positional changes, feuding pair Matt Orford and Anthony Watmough made up with a hug ... and a kiss.

Three days earlier at Brookvale Oval, Watmough and Orford argued openly on the field during Manly's shock loss to South Sydney.

The make-up comes as Hasler dumped giant winger Tony Williams and promoted rising rookie Kieran Foran for Saturday's vital match against the Roosters at the SFS.

Foran enters at five-eighth with Jamie Lyon returning to centre and Ben Farrar shifted into Williams' wing position.

After successive defeats, Manly did not need any division between Orford and Watmough - two of their high-profile stars.

That fear was laid to rest yesterday when Watmough snuck up behind Orford and planted a kiss on the back of his skipper's head.

This all happened as injured fullback Brett Stewart started training again with his teammates.

"It was in the heat of battle. We are passionate," Watmough said.

"Ox wanted to get the boys where he wanted them. We kissed and made up after the game.

"He rips into the front-rowers more than me."

Told Manly's front-rowers don't bite back, Watmough said: "Probably that's my problem. We both love what we do. If you don't have passion you are kidding yourself.

"Manly always give their all. We just have to worry about winning and working our butts off."

Orford denied there was any rift with Watmough.

"At the end of the day, we are both passionate. I give a lot more to the middle men," Orford said.

"We are mates. I think it is all a bit of a beat-up. I would rather players be frustrated and let it out."

Manly has lost to Souths and Wests Tigers in their past two games and cannot make the vital top four.

It appears the Sea Eagles have lost momentum - making the match against the Roosters crucial.

"We need a bit of luck," Watmough said. "But you can't beat around the bush, we're not playing our best football.

"But I don't know if the wheels are off. We will turn the corner sooner rather than later."

Orford suggested his club must improve its on-field discipline.

"Des (Hasler) tore shreds off us (after Souths) and it was well deserved. We have have the right attitude," Orford said.

"The little errors and penalties are costing us. Des really made that point to us this morning. I'm sure you see a disciplined team in coming weeks."

Stewart has completed solo sprint work previously but not trained with his teammates for 16 weeks. He is still due back in round 25.

"You guys can beat it up as much as you want but he won't play for a couple of weeks," Watmough said.

Orford added: "He had a bit fo a smile on his face."

I've got a good feeling about the changes to the team and the attitude of these two.  Maybe now the start of the defense of the title can begin.   

I thought the man-hug wouldn't happen, but it did and with a kiss as well. Good to see the boys have made up, now let's hope they stop cuddling, train hard, play hard and win us some bloody matches again.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6