News: Salary cap lift boon for Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>SEA Eagles management remain confident off-contract New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai will remain at the club beyond 2010 following the salary cap increase.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4891-salary-cap-lift-boon-for-eagles.html">Read the full article</a>

Great news.

Matai is a class player, lets keep him out of the judiciary.

IMO a raised salary cap will not improve his offer or standing with the club. If Manly have a value on him that won't be altered by the cap increase. I wouldn't rate his chances of being resigned more than 50/50. But from what i have heard those odds were way better than they were before the start of the season.

Those odds and the reports could be false trying to keep him believing he is wanted for as long as possible.

Ernie - do you think that Manly would have increased their offer for Hodkinson with the cap increase or did they also have a value put on him no matter what the salary cap allowed them to pay?

TBH he hasn't been that impressive in recent matches and I thought that he was pretty ordinary against souths (he was wrong footed badly for one souths try, he couldn't catch their hooker for a try and he doesn't take the line on) and it was only his two field goals that made any impression on the night. 

Thats a pretty low call,but i guess theres been lower on our 2008 heroes,Anti Ox posts comes to mind,those people dont know what theyre talking about,Hodko is a pimple popping scrub with 2 field goals to his name

i hope hope matai stays ,sure he does some silly things and has a dodgy shoulder but hes gutsy ,i dont think any other coach could get better results out of him,he suits our style well hope they can come to terms soon !!!!!

Would you really want Matai at another club? The guy has a lot of heart and a lot of skill. He hits hard, runs hard and his passion for the game often makes me hard. He always puts in. I'd hate to see him go anywhere.

Shane link said:
Thats a pretty low call,but i guess theres been lower on our 2008 heroes,Anti Ox posts comes to mind,those people dont know what theyre talking about,Hodko is a pimple popping scrub with 2 field goals to his name

Well, quite a few people in the media said that Hodko was pretty ordinary up until the last 5 minutes as well, so maybe it is you that doesn't know what they are talking about?

At this stage 150,000-200,000 grand would be a good price but we just couldn't justify matching the Dogs offer of 280,000.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6