1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: QLD Cup: Sea Eagles go down to Mackay

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jethro, May 31, 2010.

  1. Jethro

    Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

    +2,307 /13
    <p class="storyHeadline">THE Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles have crashed back to earth after going down to Mackay 40-28.</p>

    <a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4827-qld-cup-sea-eagles-go-down-to-mackay.html">Read the full article</a>
  2. Jethro

    Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

    +2,307 /13
    Cutters keep winning at home

    Steele Taylor | 31st May 2010

    MACKAY Cutters coach Paul Bramley issued a stern warning to visiting teams after his outfit smothered last year's champions Sunshine Coast 40-26 at South Mackay yesterday.

    “We beat the premiers here; we didn't beat mugs.

    “I want every team to know that when they get off the plane to play in Mackay there are no freebies,” he said after the Cutters kept intact its unblemished record on home soil this season.

    “We get a lot of confidence when we play at home and each time we do it we're improving,”

    Although Bramley conceded the Cutters didn't play the perfect game, he lauded their will to win.

    “They (Sea Eagles) came back, that's why they're the premiers and that's why we dug in. It wasn't as good as I wanted, but we showed a lot of character to keep composure and win the game.”

    A point-scoring blitz at the start of the second half propelled Mackay to its fifth win of the season and sixth place on the Intrust Super Cup ladder.

    “We turned up in the second half and put them under pressure. We got three quick tries and that set the game up,” Bramley said before praising the work of hardworking prop Liam McDonald.

    “The (Qld) country selectors were here today and I think he (McDonald) played his way into a country jumper. He was outstanding,” Bramley said.

    “The bench (was also good). We went to the bench and we asked the bench to bring a fresh attitude and energy to the game and I thought Mussy (Shane Muspratt) and Peter Quinn turned the game around for us.”

    Despite the score line, the STM Cutters were hard-pressed by the Sea Eagles for much of the contest and only made sure of victory within the dying stages.

    Former Mackay footballer Daly Cherry-Evans was involved for the Sea Eagles and his early grubber, off the back of a penalty, led to an opening try to Jamie Buhrer. Cherry-Evans then provided a ball to Paul Morwood, who was held up.

    The Cutters levelled the scores when centre Tyson Martin brushed off a defender, offloading to Donald Malone. The winger showed pace to beat two tacklers on the sideline before providing pivot Grant Rovelli with a try.

    The hosts edged ahead when a wayward pass from Rovelli was scopped up by Martin, who crashed over. But Eagles second-rower Darcy Lussick got involved to lay on tries to Cherry-Evans and Filinga Filiga, giving the visitors a 16-10 lead at the break.

    Cutters fullback Shannon Gallant, who showed plenty of spark, made a try-saving tackle to start the second half and then the Cutters clicked into gear, scoring three tries in five minutes.

    Back-rower Jardine Bobongie started the sequence when his offload found Gallant, who passed to Rovelli, who found centre Michael Comerford in a 50m play.

    A 70m effort followed when rake Neil Budworth, who was strong again, found Muspratt who linked with Quinn to score.

    Rovelli then stunned the Sea Eagles when he scored from his own kick – a brazen lob-and-chase, leading to a 28-16 lead.

    When Mackay prop Isaak Ah Mau, who worked hard, coughed up the ball on half-way, Buhrer nabbed a try after repeat sets to reduce the margin to six.

    Rovelli then missed a field goal attempt and with six minutes to play, the visitors capitalised on a lost ball from Malone in his own 30m. Tyrone Coppedge scored out wide, but Michael Chapman's attempted conversion under pressure went horribly wrong.

    When Cherry-Evans couldn't handle the Cutters' kick-off, Mackay was presented with a chance to ice the game, which they did when a great pass from Budworth found try-scorer Luke Fatnowna.

    Comerford was then unable to grasp the Sea Eagles' kick-off, but the visitors' last raid came unstuck when Cutters lock Ben Harris, who was fierce in defence, caught a grubber and passed to Malone who raced 80m to score.

    Martin will receive treatment on a damaged ankle after he was forced from the field midway through the second half. Mackay will clash with arch-rivals Central Comets at home on Sunday.


Share This Page