News: NRL refs to go back to basics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">New NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan has defended not revisiting the grounding rule ahead of the new season, following a spate of controversies in 2010.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5343-nrl-refs-to-go-back-to-basics.html">Read the full article</a>

and there is this

http://www.nrl.com/news/latestnews/n...l/default.aspx

NRL Referees Coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper have vowed to clean up the play-the-ball and ensure more traditional scrums in 2011 Telstra Premiership rule guidelines outlined at today’s meeting between NRL referees and coaches at ANZ Stadium.

Raper and Harrigan today received support from NRL coaches for their ‘back to basics’ approach to refereeing that will excite fans keen to see some of the fundamental rules of the game strictly enforced while encouraging the exciting play that captivates fans week in, week out, during the season.

Under the guidelines outlined at today’s meeting:
- Referees will strictly enforce the on-side rule at restarts of play;
- Players will be penalised for not playing the ball on the mark;
- Scrums will be properly bound and players must not break until the referee has called ‘out’;
- The obstruction rule remains the same but if, in the opinion of the referee/video referee, the play had no effect on the scoring of a try then it will be awarded.

“We’re not changing the rules, we are simply making a season-long commitment to enforce some of the fundamental principles in our game that will ensure a cleaner, fairer play-the-ball and give both the attacking and defensive teams a reward for their efforts,” Harrigan said today.

“Not playing the ball on the mark, being off-side at restarts, these are things that really frustrate fans and they will appreciate that part of the game being improved.

“We want all teams to be able to play their best football and this approach will certainly give them that opportunity.”

Raper said today’s meeting reflected the open communication lines that exist between NRL coaches and the game’s officials.

“We have spent much of the off-season talking with coaches and our team of referees have been involved in assisting clubs at training sessions to prepare for the new season,” he said.

“These guidelines are just part of that communication process and we will continue to work with the coaches and have an open dialogue with them throughout the season.”

They should make it that a try can only be scored with the hands, and only if the hands force the ball onto the ground. Get rid of the arm, the torso and such. And if there is separation as the ball hits the ground, its no try.

That seems fairly simple to me.

Agreed Rusty.  As well, I'd like to see them ensure there was an absence of forward passes in the try scoring movement.  Doesn't seem much to ask. 

I like that they had to have a meeting/conference/whateverthiswas to remind refs to watch the play the ball and on side. Am I the only one who learnt this sort of stuff in under 6's

Rusty link said:
They should make it that a try can only be scored with the hands, and only if the hands force the ball onto the ground. Get rid of the arm, the torso and such. And if there is separation as the ball hits the ground, its no try.

Hey Rusty what happens if a player scores what is known as a slide try? There is no forcing the ball with the hand or downward pressure. The hand is on the side or even closer to the bottom of the ball. The ball is grounded by the chest. Going on your opinion this should be disallowed?

In my opinion, they should also get rid of flat passing too and all passed balls should be received by the catcher at a point rear of where the passer threw it i.e. no balls floating forward of the position of where the ball was passed.

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=186362.msg314073#msg314073 date=1296675097]
- Players will be penalised for not playing the ball on the mark;

A crackdown on this is long overdue.
[/quote]
Obviously the walking off the mark rule had to be fixed pronto.  It's ridiculous when rules/referee interpretations so clearly aren't working that we have to wait for the next season before the referees adapt.

Same with the players wanting to stop the clock having to keep their heads in the scrum while waiting for the opposition to manicure their fingernails and adjust their hair-styles and chat about their twitter postings before finally deciding to pack the scrum.

Simple and easy fixes were ready for both of these abuses.

A penalty (possession change, 40 metre kick plus six tackles to the opposition) for walking off the mark is simply too severe.  They should just be made to go back and play the ball again in the correct spot - this allows the opposition extra time to set their defensive line - penalty enough - without referee whim changing the momentum of the entire game.

Rex link said:
A penalty (possession change, 40 metre kick plus six tackles to the opposition) for walking off the mark is simply too severe.  They should just be made to go back and play the ball again in the correct spot - this allows the opposition extra time to set their defensive line - penalty enough - without referee whim changing the momentum of the entire game.

Agreed

Agreed Rex.  It happens in soccer.  The ref just tells the guy where to take the kick, end of story.  A penalty for a step to the right is stupid.  Just get the guy to play the ball where he's tackled.  Shouldn't be to hard.  A penalty is for illegal play, not just walking a metre of two.  Everything in perspective.  Forward passes are more irritating to me, especially if they lead to a try.

I'd love to see Refs rule to the rules of the game as set down in the book, not "interpretations" of said rules.

I sometimes wonder why we bother having a rule book when they aren't enforced.

Who would have thought actually enforcing the rules of the game warranted a press conference and a fanfare ? Maybe they can try policing the rules where it says a player must get to his feet to play the ball instead of letting them put it on the ground as they get up and then fall over the top of it. Also whatever happened to the rule that said the marker or the person playing the ball couldn't interfere with each other, my guess is that rule still exists...the clowns just choose to ignore it. As sure as David Gallop is a goose you can bet that the refereeing this year will be abysmal and we'll continue to have games decided by ridculous penalties or poor refereeing decisions

Jethro link said:
In my opinion, they should also get rid of flat passing too and all passed balls should be received by the catcher at a point rear of where the passer threw it i.e. no balls floating forward of the position of where the ball was passed.

Totally disagree. Lets not make the game less exciting than a rule like this would almost certainly kill back line moves where they are running at speed. Seriously its hard to get the ball to travel backwards when running at full pace!

Its tempting to tip other teams to score 1st by a penalty goal

Choc is the worst for taking another 5 metres after being tackled
He was always heavily penalised as it was,its just goin to get worse

ads link said:
Seriously its hard to get the ball to travel backwards when running at full pace!

What a load of crap. How come that they used to be able to do it then? All it takes is a little extra angle to get it to go back.

Fonz link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186362.msg314076#msg314076 date=1296676173]

Hey Rusty what happens if a player scores what is known as a slide try? There is no forcing the ball with the hand or downward pressure. The hand is on the side or even closer to the bottom of the ball. The ball is grounded by the chest. Going on your opinion this should be disallowed?
[/quote]

If the hand is on the ball when it is forced, then its a try, if it is not then it is not. The issue isn't really the forcing so much as having the hand on the ball.

Seriously how many trys have we seen that there was no hand in, either upper arm or torso only. I remember one with Lyon at Suncorp a couple of seasons back that was a shocker. Not that I cared at the time.

Rusty you clearly said that the hands should force the ball onto the ground did you not? If the hand is under the ball how can this happen? It's not that black and white mate. As with alot of laws in our game.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=186362.msg314156#msg314156 date=1296741225]

Seriously its hard to get the ball to travel backwards when running at full pace!

What a load of crap. How come that they used to be able to do it then? All it takes is a little extra angle to get it to go back.
[/quote]

Running at full pace it's almost impossible to get the ball to travel backwards relative to the point on the ground where the ball is released from. Look at this video and you'll see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8