News: Matt Orford faces pay cut

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
his defense is not good enough for centre

His 1 on 1 defense is pretty damn good - remember the games he smashed Wendell all night and took care of Vatuvai.
His positional pay on the wing may be questionable - maybe he will go better at centre?

Give him a crack at half back :) Let Orford sit on the bench.  Might be what he needs to pull his socks up.

half back is a concern if ox goes

went to quad park on saturday nite and wasnt really impressed with hodgikson or wat ever his name is

Pepi is right regarding Williams.  His wing defense is not good.  Centre is marking up stuff.  he'd be good at that and still be near the attacking action.  His hard straight running would be an asset at centre.
offer Carney some money to come and be half.

Hey, why not introduce a players only room at the whalf bar or the Harbord Pub- that would get him and a few others our way. Put in a bar tab, surely that would be allowed under the salary cap? ;D ;D

I think it's pretty funny that some of you blokes consider yourselves knowledgable league fans and you'd rather retain a winger over a halfback.

That's priceless.

Anyways, Wolfie would be tops in the centres but he's never gonna get there with Lyon and Matai both fit. Wolfie is our winger..... he can fill in at centre but it'll never be his position.

On the wing or gone in my opinion..... if he's asking too much let him free. A halfback will win you more games than a winger will and our halfback took us all the way last season.

Nutzcraw link said:
I think it's pretty funny that some of you blokes consider yourselves knowledgable league fans and you'd rather retain a winger over a halfback.

That's priceless.

$ wise I believe Williams is a better option. Orford is not worth the money and is getting on. If Orford wants to start winning games for the team he needs to take a step back and concentrate on organising and leave the kicking to others.

Nutzcraw link said:

That's priceless.

Anyways, Wolfie would be tops in the centres but he's never gonna get there with Lyon and Matai both fit. Wolfie is our winger..... he can fill in at centre but it'll never be his position.

On the wing or gone in my opinion..... if he's asking too much let him free. A halfback will win you more games than a winger will and our halfback took us all the way last season.

so youd rather get an overrated half back for $400k..and a useless winger..for peanuts...  rather than keeping a very good winger for 200k. with 200k to spend on a decent half back? Which is all we need really.. we just need a half back who can do the general things well.. kick etc... we won the comp when Orford took a back seat and didnt dominate in the plays. Theres enough talent in the squad to score points.. they just need direction and calmness. Orford is too inconsistent.. you can find a similar player and younger for 200k im sure.

Yeah I agree on Orford. I don't how we can drive a truckload of cash at Lyon while we have Orford on what he is and other players on upgraded contracts. I like the Orford and would love him in the team, but I'd much rather have Lyon and a decent half back than Orford and no Lyon. And I agree with Ryno, please stop kicking for goals and dropouts.

KaZa link said:
[quote author=Nutzcraw link=topic=179943.msg216928#msg216928 date=1238650516]

That's priceless.

so youd rather get an overrated half back for $400k..and a useless winger..for peanuts...  rather than keeping a very good winger for 200k. with 200k to spend on a decent half back? Which is all we need really.. we just need a half back who can do the general things well.. kick etc... we won the comp when Orford took a back seat and didnt dominate in the plays. Theres enough talent in the squad to score points.. they just need direction and calmness. Orford is too inconsistent.. you can find a similar player and younger for 200k im sure.

[/quote]

You just want Monaghan back. Your Monas love clouds your judgment.

Can't believe all the hate for our first captain and halfback to lead us to a premiership since the great Tooves.

That being said, I wouldn't re-sign him for anything over 400k. 350k max. He's worth that much for sure.

I'd be willing to give Todd Carney a chance, yes he has been a complete knob, but I believe Des could turn anyone around. He (Des)demands respect. If the Rooters haven't already got him, we could get him cheapish.

I'd just like anyone who knows how to marshall the troops and get them going forward.  Oh yes, as well, I'd like them to not lose their heads when attacking the line.  Surely there's someone out there who would like to earn 250000K to do this simple thing 22 weeks of the year.

blitzkrieg link said:
I'd be willing to give Todd Carney a chance, yes he has been a complete knob, but I believe Des could turn anyone around. He (Des)demands respect. If the Rooters haven't already got him, we could get him cheapish.

I'd be hoping the club never,never ever consider signing Carney.

As you said- a complete knob- and someone who no club needs, although the rorters are welcome to him.

Great halfbacks don't grow on trees unfortunately. Orford is a solid enough player, but far too inconsistent to be paying him over $400K, he just doesn't have the range of skills and composure to be in the top tier of halfbacks. I won't be tearing up my membership if we let him go, over the time he has been here I'd have to say I've been underwhelmed by his contribution on average.

Hopefully one of Foran, Hodgkinson, or Cherry Ripe will show some potential, otherwise I'm sure something will come up. Manly have always seemed to come up with good home grown halves. We've never really struggled in that department except during the Ferris and Monas (to a lesser extent) eras, but they were the dark club rebuilding years.

I might be wrong but Foran played a fair bit of Centre a few years ago, then moved to halfback then to 5/8th?
He looks like the total package at 5/8th, strong defense, strong runner, good passing game and has a fair boot on him. Not sure how he would go as half.

Has Bailey ever played half?  If Foran is the goods t 5/8th then Bailey might be the go at half. 

I haven't seen much from Bailey in the kicking department, that's a crucial skill (both long and short) for a halback IMO.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2