News: Manly wants Watmough long-term

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="intro">MANLY has taken the first step towards tying the game's form player, Anthony Watmough, to a long-term deal which would make him one of the highest paid forwards in the NRL.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4157-manly-wants-watmough-long-term.html">Read the full article</a>

That's good about Lyon - keep him here til he's in his 30's and then he can go back to ESL like he said he wants to.

Anyone know when Kite is off contract?  Signing Choc for around $400k is massive, we'd probably end up losing a few guys...

The Bulls have got to be kidding themselves about Burgess - what club would/could blow over 20% of their cap on one player?

Would that definitely go onto the cap or would it be considered a transfer fee (not that up on the cap rules so don't know if there is any difference), maybe there could be a loophole that we could exploit ?

TokyoEagle link said:
Would that definitely go onto the cap or would it be considered a transfer fee (not that up on the cap rules so don't know if there is any difference), maybe there could be a loophole that we could exploit ?

I don't actually now but I wouldn't have thought so considering it is going to the Bulls club and not the player. Still a massive amount of money for us to shell out and I doubt we would do it. Maybe Rusty could afford something like that, not so sure about the Penns/Delmege stumping it up.

Cletus link said:
[quote author=TokyoEagle link=topic=181285.msg235332#msg235332 date=1249611105]

I don't actually now but I wouldn't have thought so considering it is going to the Bulls club and not the player. Still a massive amount of money for us to shell out and I doubt we would do it. Maybe Rusty could afford something like that, not so sure about the Penns/Delmege stumping it up.
[/quote]

David Williams' bargaining power would  have dipped considerably over the past 6 weeks. He should have signed before Origin. Let's not blow the budget on him.

Burgess looks like a 2011 proposition from the below article. I don't know for sure, but I believe that any transfer fee would be included in the cap. What has happened in the past is that another club takes over a player's contract. If an existing contract is inflated by the current club then it would still count towards the cap.

Bradford's England forward Sam Burgess will have his pick of the leading National Rugby League clubs when he makes his move to Australia, according to his manager.

The 20-year-old, who became Great Britain's youngest forward since Andy Farrell when he made a try-scoring debut in the home series against New Zealand in 2007, is one of the hottest properties in the game and has Australian clubs queuing up for his services.

Former Bradford chairman Chris Caisley, who now acts as Burgess' adviser, says the player is certain to move Down Under within the next 18 months.

"My phone has been red hot," he said. "There has been plenty of interest from clubs in Australia, I would say at least half the NRL."

"If he was free to go now, he would have his pick of the clubs."

Burgess, who missed the World Cup through injury, is under contract with the Bulls until the end of the 2011 season but has an opt-out clause enabling him to realise his ambition of playing in Australia in 2011.

Recent rumours have suggested he could make the move at the end of this season, with Hollywood actor Russell Crowe said to have intervened personally on behalf of South Sydney, where he has a controlling interest.

Caisley says he is unable to confirm the Crowe connection but has not ruled out a move to Australia in 2010 if a club can tempt Bradford with a player exchange.

"In my experience, it's very rare that Australian clubs give compensation so realistically he's going to be at Bradford next year," he said.

"That will only change if a club can put forward a player in exchange that would persuade Bradford to release him a year early."

Former Leeds second rower Gareth Ellis, who is in his first season with Wests Tigers, is the only Englishman currently plying his trade in the NRL but Burgess is tipped to become as big a success Down Under as his England team-mate Adrian Morley, who was a huge hit with Sydney Roosters.

"He has always had an ambition to give Australia a shot and he thinks he can make a big impression," added Caisley.

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/burgess-tipped-for-nrl-success-75459

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4