News: Lyon happy in centres

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>NSW certainty Jamie Lyon wants to play centre – not five-eighth – in this year's State of Origin series, believing he can help end Queensland's four-year dominance.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4767-lyon-happy-in-centres.html">Read the full article</a>

New South Wales' plans to throw Jamie Lyon into the five-eighth hot seat for State of Origin I has hit an unexpected snag with the Manly skipper admitting he sees himself as "more of a centre".

Lyon, who won a Test recall in the centres for last week's international against New Zealand, had firmed into favouritism to wear the sky blue number six jumper on May 26.

However, his apparent reluctance to assume the playmaking reins has left Blues selectors back at square one just five days out from the naming of the game one side.

"I think I am more of a centre," Lyon said when asked about playing five-eighth for the Blues.

"I have played most of my football there and I am more comfortable there.

"I class myself as a centre."

It is believed Blues coach Craig Bellamy had wanted Lyon picked at five-eighth for Country Origin to see how he would combine with likely half-back Brett Kimmorley, but those plans were cast aside when Lyon was selected in the Test side.

The two men who shared five-eighth duties against City - Greg Bird and Todd Carney - both failed to fire, leading to speculation Bellamy would take a punt on Lyon at second receiver, the position he filled when Manly won the premiership in 2008.

Others have called for the Blues to go back to the future in selecting their number six, with former great Andrew Johns suggesting Melbourne veteran Brett Finch be given the nod.

Peter Sterling believes Terry Campese, the Blues five-eighth in last year's series opener, should be given another chance.

"He didn't play poorly, just lacked involvement," Sterling said on NRL.com of Campese's Origin debut.

"He's an attacking-minded player who defends well and has a prodigious boot."

Lyon said he was confident the Blues could end Queensland's run of success no matter who was named at pivot.

"Every year New South Wales is definitely a chance," Lyon said.

"We just haven't gone on with it but the gap is getting closer and the players are more confident.

"Hopefully this is the year."

-AAP

Out of  Greg Bird, Todd Carney, terry campese they still want lyon to play 5/8th. 2 years ago i was all for it. but seriously it has to be Bird and noone else with Carney 14 and Kidley left right out.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6