NEWS - Jackson Hastings - Perils of Being a Star Young Footballer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Hamster Huey

Space Invader
APRIL 27, 20177:35AM - AAP

MANLY’S Jackson Hastings wants NRL clubs to do more to protect teenage prodigies from hype as they discover the pitfalls of professional rugby league.

Hastings made his debut at the Roosters in 2014 as an 18-year-old star in the making, but fell out of favour last year before shifting to Manly, admitting he spent numerous lonely nights questioning his future over the off-season.

The NRL has worked hard to develop an award-winning education and welfare program for under-20s and first-grade players, which is implemented from the teenage years. Each club also has a welfare manager who monitors the wellbeing of players.

But Hastings said he would like to see young stars better managed by clubs to shield them from the hype before the seemingly-inevitable rough patch — including following the lead of the Roosters in resting Latrell Mitchell this year.

“I never had that,” he said.

“I think clubs can get better at protecting their young kids, and hopefully as the years go on that can get better — because I don’t want to see kids go through what a few of us have gone through.

“I like the idea of taking them out of the spotlight for a week or two and then bringing them back in.

“Because it’s tough. If you haven’t got thick skin it can do some damage mentally.”

Hastings finished 2016 in reserve grade after starting as a first-choice Roosters playmaker, and has still split his time between the second-tier competition and NRL this year at Manly.

But he said his attitude changed after meeting coach Trent Barrett and adviser Bob Fulton.

“They told me that I have 12 years left in me and I’m not done yet,” he said. “I’d lay in bed at night and have things run through my head.

“There were a couple of times there where I thought ‘am I going to play first grade again?’ Then I would have to slap myself and say: ‘I’m 20 years old’. “But I’ve just done a complete 360 with the way I look at life and footy.”

Hastings has come off the bench as a new-look utility four times for Manly this year, playing mostly out of dummy-half.

“A lot of people don’t like being labelled a utility but I think it’s got its benefits,” Hastings said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...r/news-story/f95d032c0b33f4efa87689a041a514f3

sigh

Doing a 'complete 360' about the way you look at things means you look at things the same way!!!

It's 180 degrees people!!!! sheesh (The journo should have told him - dumbass)

He has good points though. Good on him for saying it.

The rorters trash is our treasure. He was the fall guy for Pearces antics that ruined their season. How we ended up with Hastings I'll never know. The kid has had talent and I'm glad that we were the ones that threw him an offer when no one else did.

He will be our next no.6 and I hope for a very long time.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/78b8f0de4ee6b256980e84bf3dfcd72d

Pressure off talented youngster after move from the Roosters
Andrew Prentice, Manly Daily
April 26, 2017 3:14pm

JACKSON Hastings feels he belongs on the northern beaches with the Sea Eagles.

The hype surrounding the utility player when he was a teenager at the Dragons followed by the Roosters was staggering.

Some would even say ridiculous.

Earmarked for NRL stardom while still in high school, Hastings said the level of scrutiny around his game rattled him.

Everything happened far too quickly for the childhood prodigy, who made his first-grade debut for the Tricolours at just 17.

The 21-year-old needed a fresh start, with life under childhood mentor Trent Barrett the smart choice.

“Over this way it is relaxed, very different to the eastern suburbs, which I found to be a million miles an hour,’’ Hastings said.

“I’m living in Dee Why and love the fact I can just cruise down to the beach and get a coffee and just chill out.”

They should limit teenage players to an amount of games in NRL per year. Say max of 5.
If a team is short they should push 20's into reggies, reggies into 1st. With an exception of say five games per year.

sigh

Doing a 'complete 360' about the way you look at things means you look at things the same way!!!

It's 180 degrees people!!!! sheesh (The journo should have told him - dumbass)

He has good points though. Good on him for saying it.
BUT ! If you spin right around reflecting on your life and then head off in the same direction as you were previously going . . . . . .

They should limit teenage players to an amount of games in NRL per year. Say max of 5.
If a team is short they should push 20's into reggies, reggies into 1st. With an exception of say five games per year.
Doesn't the NHL do something like that where players tenures under contract don't start if they play less than a certain amount of games..? Where are the NHL experts??? @globaleagle

Doesn't the NHL do something like that where players tenures under contract don't start if they play less than a certain amount of games..? Where are the NHL experts??? @globaleagle

*fights through bourbon*

there seems to be a million different rules regarding the path to nhl greatness.

I think that rookies all have to live with an established player. Keeping in mind most nhl rookies earn as much as the nrl's biggest stars it's a good way to keep things in check.

Plus 82 games a year means there's no time to go out and booze up for days.

Erm....I don't know if there is an age or game limit. Connor McDavid is kinda young (20) and after playing in the ahl (american hockey league) and getting picked number one in the draft (at 19)...he is already the captain of the edmonton oilers. But he....he is a fantastic player.

In conclusion...ask @Ryan

*fights through bourbon*

there seems to be a million different rules regarding the path to nhl greatness.

I think that rookies all have to live with an established player. Keeping in mind most nhl rookies earn as much as the nrl's biggest stars it's a good way to keep things in check.

Erm....I don't know if there is an age or game limit. Connor McDavid is kinda young (20) and after playing in the ahl (american hockey league) and getting picked number one in the draft (at 19)...he is already the captain of the edmonton oilers. But he....he is a fantastic player.

from the NHL's guidelines:

Rookie Qualifications
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

So this is why at various points in the year you'll see guys get called up for 6 games then send back to the minors. Guys like McDavid though bypass this and go straight into their rookie years.

I agree with the limiting youngsters. In a perfect world (would need a much bigger market and sponsor $$ though, so will never happen i know) I'd like to see two top tier competitions plus lower tier. A "Seniors / Premier" league and a juniors league, plus an under 18's entry league and a reserves. A true development path, rather than thrusting straight into the big limelight straight away which can backfire and cause issues.

You could really build up the juniors to be something you can follow passionately unlike the holden cup rubbish we have now, add to game day entertainment knowing you get 4 years out of the players in the competition before they can move up, so you could build solid squads that aren't torn apart if a star is pulled out to play 1sts.. the kids learn structure, and get time to build skills, settle in without so much expectation so early. you would need a good cap though as these 19yolds suddenly expect to be making millions at 21, another reason it'd never happen sadly.

Top Tier
Seniors - 22 and over
Juniors - 18-22

Lower Tier
Entry League - under 18's
Reserves - 22 and over, for your reserve seniors and juniors no longer eligable to that comp. perhaps also some connection to country rugby league here giving those an opportunity to mix it with these guys

I'm having a coffee in Emerald, and about to have lunch with @marga ......so there!!

OH Ask her if she got the book (and other stuff) I sent her...please!!!!

That'd be awesome.

She wont post on here :(

far out you get around.

edit: I'm not joking about the stuff, ask her puh-lease. Or i will GET you.

Last edited:
*fights through bourbon*

I dont think MCDavid even played AHL.

I dont think MCDavid even played AHL.

bloody hell, you are right! He played in the OHL (becoming the most decorated player ever) then went straight to the nhl.

sorry everyone

Blame jim beam black

****, I've been good with this hockey question....noooooot

Hey mate. Yes, there are rookie contracts in the NHL, where upon expiry the player becomes a Restricted Free Agent - That would most certainly be ideal in my opinion. Rookie contracts are determined by age - which then determines tenure.

A player can actually play a number of games (9, I think?) and not burn one of those years in the rookie contract.

Restricted Free Agents means no matter what offer comes across the table, the club who's player is currently under contract, gets last port of call - they can basically match the offer, or let the player go, and the club buying the player gets penalised draft picks for doing so (offers, and what it costs them are below):

Average Annual Value RFA Compensation
Less than $1,239,226 Nothing
Over $1,239,226 to $1,877,615 Third-round pick
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233 Second-round pick
Over $3,755,233 to $5,632,847 First and third-round picks
Over $5,632,847 to $7,510,464 First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,510,464 to $9,388,080 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $9,388,080 Four first-round picks

The difficulty with those rules though, and The NRL, is that we have no draft, which means cashed up clubs will just come in and offer mountains like they do now (see Jack Bird), and not be penalised anything, so it would be exactly the way it is now.

That being said, rookie contracts WOULD be good if it means that if the players current club matches the offer, they have to stay, until they become and unrestricted free agent.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8