NEWS: How Turbo was almost lost to rugby league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How Manly Sea Eagles young gun Tom Trbojevic was almost lost to rugby league
  • 9 hours ago
  • by Simon Brunsdon
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

STANDING at 194 centimetres tall and tipping the scales at 102 kilograms, Tom Trbojevic is a similar size and build to Sydney Swans champion Lance Franklin.

And, if not for a twist of fate, the kid we call Turbo could have been playing alongside Buddy in the AFL this season.

Maybe we should have some AFL trainers come in and help with other potential RL stars. Taufua could have learned a lot about how to catch a ball. I understand that Phil Blake had some Australian Rules training as a kid, which could help explain his ability with his kick and chase prowess.

Maybe we should have some AFL trainers come in and help with other potential RL stars. Taufua could have learned a lot about how to catch a ball. I understand that Phil Blake had some Australian Rules training as a kid, which could help explain his ability with his kick and chase prowess.
Bloody good suggestion. Learning to "Mark" a ball in traffic is a skill that every winger should be working on furiously, given the way that the Wayne Bennett League is evolving... 4 rucks, a mandatory shift wide with block runners and kick to the full forward lurking on the wing..

The AFL ball I believe is slightly smaller and easier to catch in two hands above the head.

But with the evolution of the size of wingers today, with hands like baseball mitts it should be very possible with the Steeden. Can't see the smaller guys doing it but they can learn to time their leaps a whole lot better.

Another point is the spin and dip type kicks most halves are now perfecting adds a whole new aspect of catching. You see fullbacks having to adjust several times while the ball is in the air for flight. Most AFL kicks are simple flight with the object of getting caught, as opposed to the league kick which is often designed to be dropped.

Thank **** he loves our club because he's going to be offered a lot of money by every sporting team that see's him. It's so easy to forget that he's 19.

Thank **** he loves our club because he's going to be offered a lot of money by every sporting team that see's him. It's so easy to forget that he's 19.
Very much so and thankfully he's ours for now. The world is his oyster and Turbo deserves whatever comes his way.

Wasn't this a story last year ?? I seem to recall that one media outlet had the story all lined up to go and rang the club to enquire about getting a comment from Tommy for the story. Funnily enough the story appeared on a rival outlet a couple of days later complete with Tommy comment.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6