News Gets Worse On Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Daily Telegraph - Tuesday!

How two phone calls made Matt $120,000

By DEAN RITCHIE Rugby League Writer

July 19, 2005

DESPERATE Melbourne yesterday came forward with an increased offer for in-demand halfback Matt Orford and two telephone calls later he was worth an extra $120,000.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Melbourne's revised deal would allow Orford the option of quitting the Storm mid-contract to join a Central Coast franchise if admitted to the NRL.

Melbourne's contract increase of $40,000 a season came after phone calls between Orford's manager George Mimis and Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron.

Waldron phoned Mimis yesterday afternoon amid talk the playmaker was ready to sign a four-year deal with Manly worth $1.7 million. The Storm's revised offer over three years is now worth about $480,000 a season.

Melbourne officials are concerned the club missed out on Queensland Origin prop Ben Ross and could now watch Orford walk away.

Yesterday's developments mean the odds have suddenly swung in favour of Orford remaining in Melbourne and rejecting offers from the Sea Eagles and South Sydney.

Waldron was in Sydney yesterday but said meetings he attended did not discuss Orford. Mimis said the new deal involved "financial and non-financial" factors. "We are having ongoing discussions with Melbourne and today they decided to give us an updated proposition," Mimis said.

"The deal is both financial and non-financial. They have been prolonged negotiations," Mimis said. "Matt wants to get this decision right."

Waldron said the Storm halfback was keen to stay in Melbourne. "We are still talking. It has been a long-winded process, but it is an important one," he said.

"We are looking at a number of options and issues, and the financial factor is only one of them. We believe we have done everything possible to convince him to stay.

"I genuinely believe he wants to stay, otherwise he'd already be gone.

"The only deadline we are working to is the one that gets it done as soon as possible.

"That's what we're all working towards. It has been difficult at times, but that's the nature of these negotiations."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said his club was still optimistic of signing Orford. "We'd like to think we're a real good chance of signing Matt," Cummings said.

"We have a great forward pack and Matt would find life easier behind our pack.

"We are quietly confident and are still waiting. But we feel we have offered him the ideal package."

The Storm, Manly and Souths are all expecting a decision from Orford today or tomorrow.

I was worried someone would come out with a get out clause for the CC.

Seriously, the club should think about the boat on Brisbane Waters option and put it to him.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said his club was still optimistic of signing Orford. "We'd like to think we're a real good chance of signing Matt," Cummings said.

"We have a great forward pack and Matt would find life easier behind our pack.

Hasn't watched the last 6 weeks has he?

where has that enthusiasm gone.it is almost impossible to believe after watching our pack hit in the first 7 or 8 rounds.i know we have had interruptions but that is not a full answer.

Orford waiting for an offer from Channel 7's third series of Dancing With The Star's.Matt Orford has shown how light he is on his feet by leading 3 Rugby League club's on a merry dance for the last 3 week's, believes he has what it takes to go one step further than former League & Manly legend Ian Robert's and win the 3rd series.That's my littel take on the prolonged agony this is putting us all through.

i agree it is highly frustrating andrew but we are looking at it through desperate eyes.in the broad scheme of things the only question is who he signs with and the issues that arise from that,not whether he signs last week or this week.mimis is a real smart (and well respected) operator and is doing his job to perfection.his job is to get every cent for his client.unlike porky banaghan he manages to maintain a good reputation while bargaining hard.i hate it,you hate it but in reality it is simply good business as yesterdays increased offer proves.im preparing for the worst.

Very good point's Sue.It wont be the end of the world if he doesn't come to Manly,and we will support our club with or without Orford.I agree he is playing the game better than any other player has,so good luck to him and his manager.I just want a conclusion either way so everyone Player's and fans alike can get on with it.Also if Manly have that much money available and dont secure him we can use it to buy a couple of good tough prop foward's.Also Mata who wouldn't have the hot's for Kym Wilson or Holly Brisley for that matter.

Andrew - sue is concerned, and rightly so, that no Orford means we will continue to struggle to sign other players of quality.

It's not so much his playing ability, it's his drawing power over the next few years that we need.

Of course, if we could replace Jason King in the front row with Wilson or Brisley we'd be better on the field and have no problem attracting players either.

Particularly second rowers.

everyone says if we dont sign orford to sign some props but where do we get them from,there arent any quality props left on the market............

yeah.i think that is the big point.he is a very good player but more importantly he will provide a reason for others to come.i actually think that is the most compelling reason to sign him.all the banter about his quality vis a vis our current 7 probably misses the point.he is obviously highly regarded by his peers and recent events (ross,harrison etc) have shown that top players want to go to clubs with playmakers.i know many here are fans of monaghan and fair enough but i dont think even they could suggest our current 7 can bring top echelon players to the club without that marquee tag given our dismal success as a club in the last 8 years.

young dogs brought up in their system rarely leave the kennel when they are earmarked for greater things.the average ones escape at times but not the good ones.they have a certian culture their that breeds it into them.

Maybe save the money from the NRL and throw every cent at buying the best young 16/17 yr olds in the country.

young dogs brought up in their system rarely leave the kennel when they are earmarked for greater things.the average ones escape at times but not the good ones.they have a certian culture their that breeds it into them.
Myles is from Queensland. May not be as rusted on as we think.

there again SBW is kiwi.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4