News: Eels enter race to lure Hopoate from Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
PARRAMATTA have made an audacious play for Manly sensation William Hopoate as part of a multimillion-dollar raid to revamp their roster under Stephen Kearney.

Read the full article

LOL at Parra...Chris Sandow, WTF ! If you were Hoppa would you rather be playing outside DCE or Sandow ? And if Hoppa is so keen to play fullback, what are Parra going to do with the Hayne Myth....move him back to 5/8 ? That was a resounding success 1st time around. Parra are a team going nowhere fast.

I would be gutted if we lost Hoppa, I think he has gotten alot more exposure in the year he is off contract than Des would have planned and it may cost us.
He couldn't possibly pass up what the dogs,eels,dragons or Knights are throwing at him and who could blame him, everyone who was crying because we had no new signings this year, would you sacrafice new signings for 2012 to keep hoppa? I know I sure would. Pay the kid Lowey.

If he goes to Parra he can kiss his career goodbye. He will be lost in the mediocrity that is Parramatta.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
and you know this how ?
When Hoppa signs later this week will you give some credit to him

I hope he agreed to terms before Friday. If not his asking price went up at least $50k a season.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
and you know this how ?

Berks, you are a supporter of Blowey?
The blokes done nothing, apart from putting a membership brochure on his own car out front at Narrabeen.

Doesn't matter - Lowe won't last.

EDIT: And no, this should have been addressed months ago.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
and you know this how ?
You're spot on BE. Hoppa is a certainty to re-sign. I was pessimistic about others in months gone by but I am absolutely certain of this one........trust me it's all good.

Listen, it's no claim to fame about re-signing a LOCAL junior late in the piece at an over inflated price. Talent should be spotted early, and signed up early.

I'm not going to argue with any of you about Lowe. You all know my stance. I stated it from day one......and frankly, was right.

And I know it's not JUST Lowe's responsibility to re-sign players.

Ryan I'm sure we tried to sign him earlier but hoppas manager is not stupid and would have put it off as late as possible to get hoppa more money.

I have no intention to get into the Lowe debate (For the record I think we can do MUCH better than him) but in regards to resigning players it's easy to say sign them up early but much more difficult in practice.

Why would Hoppa's agent have let him sign a contract before now? If they even considered signing anything Manly had on the table at the start of the year then I think the guy needs to get a new agent first thing.

There's also the flip side in that it's dangerous for the club to sign guys up early. It's always bad to get stuck into situations where you are paying a bloke like Sam Harris massive overs because you entered into negotiations at the wrong time, or what if Hoppa suffered a major injury this year? Then we'd be stuck paying a solid amount of money to an untested bloke who may or may not ever be a first grade football.

Bash Lowe all you want but it's ridiculous to have a go at the club for not signing Hoppa earlier.

Wolfpack said:
Bash Lowe all you want but it's ridiculous to have a go at the club for not signing Hoppa earlier.

Exactly. Of course we want to keep him, and I'm sure we'll make every effort to do so. But it's a fact of life that other teams will chase him, too. There's nothing you can do to stop it. At the end of the day, he'll stay or he'll go. Either way, your life will go on. No use worrying about it:)

I do however hope someone takes John Hopoate by the ear and hauls him over the coals for his "can't rule anything out" comment. For all the loyalty and rehabilitation the club has shown him over many years, he of all people should be publicly returning the favour by advocating his son stay at Manly. He owes the club an awful lot.

Ryan said:
Listen, it's no claim to fame about re-signing a LOCAL junior late in the piece at an over inflated price. Talent should be spotted early, and signed up early.

I'm not going to argue with any of you about Lowe. You all know my stance. I stated it from day one......and frankly, was right.

And I know it's not JUST Lowe's responsibility to re-sign players.

You seriously believe Hoppa and his team are dumb enough to sign early and not get a better deal for himself ?

And you spent all of last year going on and on about how we lost Foran, where is he playing this year ?

I think people are delusionsal if they think Hoppa will stay with us soley because he's a junior and his old man played for us. I also don't think it helps one bit his old man that is involved in his management group. Hoppa is no different to every other young NRL player wishing to make their mark in the competition, they want to be rewarded financially and they also want to play first grade. Those that think he will be happy to go back and spend another year in the 2nds because he's young when other clubs are offering him bucket loads of money and a guaranteed position in first grade in a spot of his choosing really are off with the fairies.

I hope & pray that we get this deal done with him, but until its signed I seriously hope the "nothing to worry about" attitude displayed by a few people here isn't supported by the management staff. Opposition clubs will be doing their best to take him and to think our offer is going to be close to the best in terms of dollars and promises is wishful thinking.

Matabele said:
I do however hope someone takes John Hopoate by the ear and hauls him over the coals for his "can't rule anything out" comment. For all the loyalty and rehabilitation the club has shown him over many years, he of all people should be publicly returning the favour by advocating his son stay at Manly. He owes the club an awful lot.

How did his career end again ? We dumped him on the NRL scrapheap after he took Galloways head off, and quite rightly so as he was a liability. I'm not sure that Hoppa feels he owes us too much.

As for the Lowe bashers, let me get this straight. If he doesn't sign Hoppa he has failed, and if he does sign Hoppa he has failed because he should have done it earlier. LOL. We have had this kid on the books since he was 15, what else is the club supposed to do ? Should we have signed him to a 10 year deal in the first instance ? Imagine the whining if we had done that and he had turned into the next Dallas Rennie.

The Lowe bashing is boring. Everyone knows I was a massive mayer fan and still am. While I believe Lowe wasn't the best candidate he's who we have and he's doing his best. I think you would find he has very little to do with player signing and retention he is merely the man at the end that signs off after DES and crusher do the work.

On hoppa I think he will stay, tryan smith is just doing his job and getting the kid the best he can.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4