News: Don't go, teammates' last-gasp Matai plea

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You can't really blame him if he is trying to get the best deal that he can for himself.

The problem's isn't Matai, his manager, the club, club officials, nor is it that of Des or anyone else that is affiliated with the club.

The problem is due to the clubs own success that has inflated player prices, having international and state rep players doesn't help trying to budget the salary cap that they need to abide by.

A football player only has a short span of time to make as much money as possible in their short career. This is their livelihood that if any of us were good enough would jump through hoops to have a shot at.

As much as it would gut me like it would for most of the people that support our team, you can't expect Matai to restrict what he can earn if another club can offer him more money.

My only hope is that if our CEO and board is serious enough about keeping him and Steve is serious enough about staying with the side. I hope that both sides keep the line of communication open and can come to a compromise.

JUst Lowe on Sky News and his quote was something like "We want to get is sorted out but I am not waiting by the phone" (to me it meant it is not one of priorities and if he leaves who cares)- seems strange  to say this type of thing at this time of the negoiation process cant be helpful and it looks we are willing to off load him - I just wish I knew why?

OneEyedEagle link said:
I hope that both sides keep the line of communication open and can come to a compromise.
Judging by the way he plays I don't think Matai understands that concept.

I'd love Matai to remain an Eagle for life. Hopefully our champion Beaver left a legacy some of the current crop hold true to their hearts.

Ryan link said:
I'd love Matai to remain an Eagle for life. Hopefully our champion Beaver left a legacy some of the current crop hold true to their hearts.

I agree with you Ryan.

I want Matai to stay.

He fires up the rest of the blokes with his hard hits and revs the team up.

Maybe we should get Beaver to give him a call and talk him into staying.

Even better get Beaver back as the CEO

I would think Matai is as important to our future plans ad Lyon, Watmough, G Stewart, Ballin, Foran and B Stewart.

I would think if we can keep those 7 together we will always be more than competitive.

Seaeagle63 link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=184018.msg274233#msg274233 date=1279016606]

I agree with you Ryan.

I want Matai to stay.

He fires up the rest of the blokes with his hard hits and revs the team up.

Maybe we should get Beaver to give him a call and talk him into staying.

Even better get Beaver back as the CEO
[/quote]

Lets face it, on paper our team is pretty cool. It's guys like:-

Matai with his inspirational aggression and energy
Lyon with his inspirational skill
B Stewart with his amazing on field class
Robbo with his brilliant durability
Rodney with his fantastic "all round, always busting his arse" type play

etc etc...

all important parts of the cog.

You never know, NZ may already have enough aggression, and that may unbalance things.

He just fits here.

Plus, I know what the guy does for his family - and in my eyes, that makes him a true blue (or all black - hehehehe) champion.

Not good news I have read on another forum, from a bloke who normally has the good oil on anything happening in Auckland

According to him, the club are sorting out some short term accommodation for Steve at the moment, he has his own house back in Auckland but the tenants lease doesn't run out for a while yet, and Steve will move into his house once the lease runs out

Dan (Kiwi) ring the mad Butcher, he'll know.

I think we should be resigned to losing Stevie, aother of the 2008 Champions to go...not many left is there....and in just two years!!

Contrary to your mail Kiwi Eagle, I have heard Cleary say that don't beleive Matai's manager. He has been blowing smoke. The news about Matai coming over for a visit was a news to Cleary this morning on radio. He didn't know anything about it and said I don't trust his manager.

Also, Warriors have offered a 2 year deal and we have 3 years which guarantees him a future.

yazman78 link said:
Contrary to your mail Kiwi Eagle, I have heard Cleary say that don't beleive Matai's manager. He has been blowing smoke. The news about Matai coming over for a visit was a news to Cleary this morning on radio. He didn't know anything about it and said I don't trust his manager.

....and to think people say he is clueless  ;D

So are we organizing a march across the spit bridge or not?
hahahahaha

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4