News: Des: It's becoming touch footy.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

blitzkrieg

Reserve Grader
Manly coach Des Hasler says rugby league has become a game of touch football with over-policing by referees taking dominant big men out of the game.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/des-its-becoming-touch-footy.html">Read the full article</a>

"I spoke to Kitey (Manly prop Brent Kite) this morning and we've been watching other front rowers and seeing their metre gainage and there's not too many of us getting over 100m these days," said Perry.

There is definitely something in this suggestion but it is pretty funny coming from Josh since he runs for over 100m in about one match per season anyway. Some how I don't think he'll be retaining the Aussie jumper unless he has a massive form reversal in the next few weeks.

Des is correct though and I prefer a tough grinding game than an open game of touch football.

Couldn't agree more with Des on this.  As well as the touch game thing, there's still way to many forward passes, especially of the ruck, and the ten metres is still a joke.  I personally don't mind a slower game, with the video man being brought in to get it absolutely correct.  Near enough is not good enough.  Hands on the ball in the tackle is annoying as well.  Very few penalties for this offense now.  The two refs seem to think a big guy can hop off the tackle in an instant.  Although I thought on Sunday, the Tigers players were given way to much leniency for lying in the tackle.  No consistency with two refs.   

You're slipping DSM. You've been doing pretty well lately but "especially of the ruck" needs fixing. :p

The number one problem Manly has on the field this year is that Des Hasler has not accepted that the rules of the game have changed.

Smart coaches would have envisaged a faster play the ball with the advent of two ref's and changed their style of play.  All Des has done is whine about it.

He can whine all he likes; it's not going to change.  He has made no adjustments for this style of play; our fellas are still trying to slow it down and are getting penalised out of the game.

The days of having monster forwards running around holding people down are over. 

Des needs to wake up to himself real quick and address this or we are all wasting our time this year.

CLT COMMANDER link said:
The number one problem Manly has on the field this year is that Des Hasler has not accepted that the rules of the game have changed.

Smart coaches would have envisaged a faster play the ball with the advent of two ref's and changed their style of play.  All Des has done is whine about it.

He can whine all he likes; it's not going to change.  He has made no adjustments for this style of play; our fellas are still trying to slow it down and are getting penalised out of the game.

The days of having monster forwards running around holding people down are over. 

Des needs to wake up to himself real quick and address this or we are all wasting our time this year.

It still sucks. I preferred a game of bigger players who absolutely smashed the living crap out of each other

Dan link said:
I preferred a game of bigger players who absolutely smashed the living crap out of each other

I agree Dan but that tends to make some parents of the littlies from letting their kids play the game because they don't want to see them hurt.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180113.msg219253#msg219253 date=1239751324]

I preferred a game of bigger players who absolutely smashed the living crap out of each other

I agree Dan but that tends to make some parents of the littlies from letting their kids play the game because they don't want to see them hurt.
[/quote]

Political correctness is one of the biggest mistakes the human race has made, I understand the need to not offend people but I also think the need for people to harden the **** up is a bigger one.

This is an extension of political correctness. The way we are going kids are going to be soft and scared of the greater world. We don't live wrapped in cotton wall and I do my best not to temper my opinions or the things I say in case I offend someone.

**** the world

I think the forward clashes this year have been absolutely huge. It is harder for them to make the barging runs but the hits have been sensational and the noise coming from the bodies are worth the entrance fee. Time for the Manly bookends to man up and hang on to the pill. Manly has a rep from the past two seasons of laying around the play-the-ball and we are getting pinged for nothing incidents this year.

We have many players that suit the new style of game. Choc, Gift, LeSnak and Ballin. T-Rex would be ideal. We need our forwards to step up and do clever second phase play to these guys and we will do very well. We are lacking in the follow up runners to take advantage and this was shown by Brett being the man on the spot to kill the Tigers. More of that please and we will win plenty.

DSM5 is right though that there was no consistency last Sunday. Several times they took hours to get off our players and slowed the play-the-ball down but any time we were the slightest bit slow there was a penalty. The one against Perry when they tried to stop him getting to his feet was a joke.

It is killing us because King/Perry & Kite are not as effective this season, either that or they are all unfit after a ponderus off season eating maccas & sitting on the beach

Thanks for the tip Jethro.  Good to see you're still on the case.  Agree Wheel, Princess, Ted and Kite need to get on top of their errors and their penalties.  Two flops from Ted, most annoying.  Posters seem to be picking on Hall but I think he's far from the worst in the pack.  The three mentioned by Wheel are part of a major problem with our playing style. 

I think it's also a reason why a team like the Bunnies have done well, small, quick forwards darting around and creating havoc.

Yes the 2008 days of nameing 4 Big Boppers for reserves seem to have gone.

Also VERY interesting to note that Wayne Bennet hasn't actually used all of his reserves all of the time, this is the same reason, no need to, more agile forwards that can play like Gifty, for all 80 minutes.

Des is smart (very) I think he'll know what to do.

In DES we trust!!

I think there are going to be 3 major things that win games in the future

1 - Smaller quicker teams
2 - Forwards who offload
3 - crisp perfect kicking games.

As such players like Soward, Cuthbo, Stewart etc are all going to be sought after commodities

I thought this was the way the game was heading after 2005, but then the Tigers haven't made the eight since.  My view is the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins.  (maybe that's very obvious)  It seems to me that when the opposition win a penalty from halfway or closer they usually score.  Penalties and mistakes are a huge factor.  There's still a need for the larger guy, but they have to be more mobile, especially in retreating. 

DSM5 link said:
I thought this was the way the game was heading after 2005, but then the Tigers haven't made the eight since.  My view is the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins.  (maybe that's very obvious)  It seems to me that when the opposition win a penalty from halfway or closer they usually score.  Penalties and mistakes are a huge factor.  There's still a need for the larger guy, but they have to be more mobile, especially in retreating. 

I hate that penalties can dictate a game so much. The game is much worse for it

yeah thats good Des get the refs even more offside with you, sometimes it's better to just not say anything

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6