News: Brookie Oval Council Funding to Disappear?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
WESTS Tigers' long-term plan to play more games at Leichhardt Oval has fallen into the hands of a group of residents, who have been given a fresh opportunity to block the venue's long-awaited upgrade.

The Greens-controlled local council was yesterday slammed by league followers for failing to approve the $1.9 million facelift for the main grandstand - a crucial plank in the Tigers' scheme to split all 12 home games between its spiritual dens at Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

And there also are fears at Manly that Greens councillors on Warringah Council will withdraw $4 million worth of funding which was pledged to Brookvale Oval.

On Tuesday night, 11 Leichhardt councillors voted unanimously to defer approval of the development application after a group of residents ambushed a meeting to complain about not being consulted.

A motion was passed to hear their concerns, angering the Federal Goverment, which provided a $3 million funding package 12 months ago.

Local Federal MP Anthony Albanese described the deferral as a "joke'' and took aim at Greens-aligned mayor Jamie Parker for taking so long to start the works.

Mr Albanese was also furious at Parker for helping to open the Keith Barnes stand last Friday night, only to delay development on the Norman Latchem Stand four days later.

"He shows up at the footy on Friday and then makes this decision - what a joke,'' Albanese said. "Nearly a year after we provided ($3 million) to Leichhardt Council, they have failed to commence any work whatsoever.

"In fact, Leichhardt Council has even failed to approve its own development application.''

The latest stand-off comes after Balmain Leagues Club had to withstand a protracted council decision to gain development approval that secured the entity's future.

But Mr Parker dismissed claims the council is anti-rugby league. He said the residents were entitled to be heard and knew nothing about the grandstand redevelopment until Tuesday night's meeting.

"It was not communicated to them and the council decided they deserved a chance to respond,'' Mr Parker said. "I stress the decision was unanimous - so there can't be any plot.

"We've deferred approval but at the same time continued to go ahead with the tender so that the schedule for works won't be interrupted.''

Cr Parker added that the council had already spent $1 million of the federal funding on planning.
Manly CEO Grant Mayer said he was no longer convinced the $4million worth of council funding for Brookvale would be forthcoming.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25617934-14823,00.html

As far as I know the money is committed to the upgrade, the Mayor supports the upgrade and this is a beat up. I doubt that Mayer has been accurately reported but I'll see what I can find out.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/new-flip-up-seats-for-brookie-start-a-10m-reno/

Look, Leichhardt oval is a far cry from Brookvale.  There is absolutely no parking at the ground and the streets are a maze to get into and out of.  And besides Wests/Tigers have a fully operational oval at Campbelltown which they should use full time.  1.9 Million for two matches is not a great return for the punters over here.  To link the two is a beat up by Mayer and I just hate this kind of blab stuff.  Watch Leichhardt and Albanese battle it out over here near my place, keep your mouth shut, and let the Brookvale redevelopment go through the various approval stages. (Parker, the mayor of Leichhardt, will probably run in the next State elections in the seat of Balmain, encompassing Leichhardt which is in Albos seat, and this is all about that)   Raising issues from other clubs just gets everyone's hackles up.  It's unnecessary.  The Greens are OK.

I see the Bullwogs are about to get $20m from the Feds to make Belmore Oval a training facility.  And we can't get funds to make our stadium suitable for crowds of tens of thousands that turn up?

I freely admit I know sh*t about this, but ...

We are continually assured by some that Penn and Mayer  are 100% committed to keeping Manly at Brookie, and that this is somehow proven by Penn buying the Leagues Club site.  Yet the Leagues Club site has commercial value separate from its current usage.  And there was not even an application for Federal funding submitted for Brookie, hence we didn't get any and the Federal funds went elsewhere. And we have $14m allocated for Brookie upgrades and nothing spent in a recession... leading to speculation it will vanish and be spent elsewhere.  And Penn wants to buy into any expansion by the NRL into QLD.  Why is there no outcry here? Or at least whispers.  Total silence it seems.

Matabele link said:
I see the Bullwogs are about to get $20m from the Feds to make Belmore Oval a training facility.  And we can't get funds to make our stadium suitable for crowds of tens of thousands that turn up?

Are the dogs going to get the money or have they just applied like us?

Belmore - swinging seat but strong labour area and whoever pledges the money could win the seat.
Leichhardt oval has a heritage listing on it - it will get the upgrade
Brookvale oval - Libs have a mortage on it and dont need to push for anything in the area - Labour doesnt care about the area - The Greens are a joke of a party.

Face it until the works done I will be happy but wouldnt be surprised if it never gets done.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6