News: Beer quickly drying up on Northern Beaches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
<div id="contentSwap1" class="pageprint" style="display: inline"><p>AFTER being banned from drinking at all club functions following their boozy season launch, Manly players have effectively ensured no one else will be able to do so either. Told of the ban, the Sea Eagles players suggested the club should make their post-match functions at Manly Leagues Club completely alcohol-free - meaning sponsors and members won't be able to get a drink either.</p></div>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/beer-quickly-drying-up-on-northern-beaches.html">Read the full article</a>

While I understand the player frustration I doubt this is a good idea, I for one will not be going to the Leagues Club and if I cannot have half a dozen schooners

I actually think it is a fair and good idea to be honest. If they are serious about getting alcohol out of the game this is the sort of move they need to make

they are planning on making a function at a licensed premises alcohol free??

absolutely ridiculous knee jerk reaction, as wheel says there won't be many happy they can't have a beer or 2.

pandering to the vocal minority again, if a bunch of meathead footballers can't hold their grog thats their problem, they are employees at those functions and can be directed to abstain, general public are not.

What's to stop the players going out and getting blotto elsewhere after the official function? This would be worse as they would be left to their own devices and we all  know that self control could be an issue for some.
It's probably a better Idea to serve a limited amount of drinks - possibly light beer only. For officials and players 3 light beers only (or one glass of wine) and then car-pool these fellas home.
As for the general public it should be free choice as to what people choose to drink, but any person attending an official Sea Eagles function needs to take on the responsibility of representing the club.

The Wheel link said:
While I understand the player frustration I doubt this is a good idea, I for one will not be going to the Leagues Club and if I cannot have half a dozen schooners

Is that for breakfast? 

If you can cut down to half a dozen schooners wheel then I think that the players can also sacrifice their drinking as well.

Idea - beer served in tea cups with bickies on the side (some interesting ingredients could go in the bickies). If there's any player indescretions we could claim a faulty shipment of tea from China or India.

Is Jim Beam still sponsoring the Cheer Girls? A bit of a kneejerk reaction, especially when the RSA rules apply, meaning that all in the club should be within reasonable limits.

A bit like penalising the whole school because one kid raided the cookie jar.

Of course the players should be the moral role models 24/7 so we can all relax safe in the knowledge that the right thing is being done.  Then we can get smashed off our faces, rolling under the table drunk, spew in the backseat of the cab, and we when sober up we can get our daily fix of the tabloids so we can express our utter outrage and contempt if any player sips a shandy.

So basically you can stay downstairs at the unofficial function, enjoy a bevvy or 20 then pop up stairs for the official function without a drink.

Its workable but only if its adopted for all NRL functions

I thought this post might have had something to do with Cliffy GC and his impending move back to Manly. Thought the Peninsula might need to be dry to keep him in line??? :) :) :)

Fluffy link said:
So basically you can stay downstairs at the unofficial function, enjoy a bevvy or 20 then pop up stairs for the official function without a drink.

Its workable but only if its adopted for all NRL functions

Your not counting the 10 cans you would have had at the game?

Talking of beer, there was a rumour that the beer would only be sold in the Tooheys '2008 Premiers' cans at Brookie this season.

Can't wait until Sunday, will have to buy a beer or 3 to see what cans there are being sold in.

might be a bit ordinary drinking a can that was packaged nearly 12 months ago by the end of the season wheel

Well looks like it will be an alchol free event, juts got an email from the club.

Meet the players in the auditorium from 6pm
~~ at the request of Sea Eagles this will be an alcohol free function ~~
See the World Club Challenge Cup & NRL Trophy

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7