News: Beaver....make me an offer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As an aside this is one of the faults of the salary cap

A one club player should be eligible for some sort of exemption...

Bradza link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=184862.msg287595#msg287595 date=1282859219]
It's Chalk and cheese between him, and a young, innovative guy like Greenberg (who everyone is now saying may be rorting the cap due to his ability over the past 24 monsth to lure big name players like Pritchard, Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood & co. to his shores.

Ryan, I don't believe in the Greenberg is a genius myth. He reminds me of KRudd only with a little more action over words.

If Greenberg's approach is so good can you answer these questions;
1. Do you believe that Hodko's potential is worth a punt of $800k over three years?

Unknown. Was Orford worth letting go all tose years ago, to get Kimmorley for a year or two? Brian Smith suggested Jared Hayne wouldn't play first grade. At this stage, his pluses or more than his minuses, and he has personally ensured a few wins for us this year. That being said, I'm ok with DCE.

2. If Greenberg is so sharp why was he (and Moore I presume) prepared to spend that amount of money on a kid who'd played 9 matches? [I understand that the value of this decision remains unknown]

Hopefully they are abiding by the salary cap, unlike a few years ago (I have my doubts). If then, cap permits - spend away. Hell, they had money to throw at Eastwood, Idris, Pritchard after that, so why not....even AFTER signing Barba etc to extensions.

3. If Greenberg is the ants pants how did he manage to create a real club chemistry last year and only manage to maintain it for one season?

Don't know the specifics. All I can say is that the players have publicly stated the family feel is back, rife through the club. There is a difference between club chemistry, and performance on the field (although generally related when management are slackers). Now, The Bulldogs have attained major sponsorship, corporate sponsorship (as well as small to medium enteprise investment like we have - well used to before a heap wracked off)

4. Greenberg has taken a club in turmoil and floated the ship (albeit from a low base) but what has he actually achieved with the extreme purchasing program of two years ago? It feels like history repeating at the moment.

As suggested above. His product is drawing big name players, and Pritchard, Morris, crowd sizes, membership, brand awareness, sponsorship attraction is all up. Regardless of how they are fairing this year, there is great interest in their brand (hence players / sponsors / members all jumping on board)

5. What has the Manly management (all included) achieved over the last five years? Steady planned improvement resulting in a premiership and what is likely to be a 6th year of consecutive finals appearances. We'll see where they take the club from here.

Yep, up until 12-18 months ago, I agree. Unfortunately in-fighting, off field issues, major sponsors leaving us (as well as lower tier ones), players leaving us has done all my talking here. Anthony Watmough said prior to a game (as did Jamie Lyon) that the players aren't playing for each other this year. We have players promising their "home town" fans they want to go back there (Newcastle), player managers are saying communication with Lowe is a problem, and lagging - it goes on.

I'm not naive enough to think that everything's hunky dory and questions should always be asked but Greenberg's results do not yet make him the bastion of CEO brilliance.

Who would you prefer to CEO Manly (if you take out the bickerring of the owners behind the scenes. Greenberg, or our Lowey - a bloke who should obviously so very well be retired. We need energy, passion, innovation, and market leading ideas. His answers to "Ask Lowey" should be answer enough of how he wants to "connect" with us Aussie fans. Sorry mate, but with all due respect, he's behind the times.

[/quote]

Ryan link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=184862.msg287560#msg287560 date=1282813271]
Like Farrar was ever going to get a gig next year Ryan. Our recruitment dept should be praised for doing the swap in the first place. Look at our backs next year, he's not required.

Stewart
Williams
Matai
Lyon
Robbo
Williams
Whare
Oldfield

Try our biggest area of need though Doug - forwards.

And Kiwi, Choc, Stewart & Lyon were all already re-signed, but the announcements were held over to make Graham Lowe look good.

Also, we have NOT signed Foran / Matai. They could just as easily accept a rugby union contract on $500k. I heard that Tasi, JWH and Mitch Pearce are still trying to coax Foran over to The Roosters. It was from a nuffy on the piss, but I heard it none the less.

We've signed nobody, have told Beaver we can't sign him, and Lowe / Crusher / whoever has not signed anyone in his tenure except Harrison.

Add that to the fact we have lost our major sponsor, and a few silver sponsors.

If anyone thinks our forward packs looks unfit, old & injury prone now, imagine what they'll look like with an additional year under their belts. I have to agree with Darren in this respect.

Gone are the days where if we wanted to keep a player, they stay. Over 12 months ago, their appeared a loyalty pact amongst the group. This Lowe era has completely changed that in my opinion.

Sorry if that puts anyone off - I'm still not a fan, and are still yet to see ANY value add from Lowe (I'm excited to see what our membership numbers look like next year with him on board).

Again - he has done great things in NZ (I guess???), but in Australia - he's done nothing...except attend "events", and tell people what he CAN'T do. It's Chalk and cheese between him, and a young, innovative guy like Greenberg (who everyone is now saying may be rorting the cap due to his ability over the past 24 monsth to lure big name players like Pritchard, Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood & co. to his shores.
[/quote]

You are playing the man again Ryan, something I am not interested in doing

You made the point about our retention being poor, I couldn't care less who it was running things when they agreed to sign, all I give a stuff about it that they are still in our colours, which they are, so retention is a moot point to me.
Foran and Matai's word is good enough for me. It was good enough for Peter O'Sullivan when he ripped into him for not signing with the Roosters too

For everyone that is saying " I want to see new signings". Well, if you want them, which of Stewart, Matai, Foran, Lyon or Watmough were you wanting to punt, and who are the signings people were wanting instead ?

You say loyalty and the days of players wanting to stay are gone, can you show me the evidence of this ? There are some in our squad turning down bigger money to stay. and the mail that Watmough took a slight pay cut to allow the club to retain Matai should show some sort of loyalty I would have thought ?

It is quite understandable that other clubs are making bigger signings than us, not many of them have the big names in their squad already like we have built over the years. I said at the start of the year if we could get away with only losing 1 of Perry or Matai we would have done very well, and it looking that way at the moment, although I am a bit sad about Farrar being a casualty as well

B Stewart, Matai, Lyon, Foran, Ballin, Kite, Stewart and Watmough is a very good core to base a team around

Steve Turner....who is now at the Bulldogs, your Golden Club run by the best CEO in the game. By the way how are they going this year ? They must be in the top 4 with leadership of that calibre and an assembled playing roster that no other CEO could pull off. Surely at least the top 8 ?

I think the people running this club Des,Crusher,Tooves,Penn,Lowe etc are eminently more qualified to recruit a squad than any of us. Stop whining about players. We have got a squad that the salary cap allows for and it isnt too bad considering we have 2 try scoring back internationals out all year and another couple of forwards as well and we are sitting in 5th with still a chance of top 4.
Perhaps you'd rather be in the shoes of Parra, Dogs, Storm, Knights, Souffs,Sharks,Cowboys supporters.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4