News: ‘It’s a stupid rule’: Gus fumes after Bulldogs hit with salary cap slap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The whole thing rests on two very simple points ...

1) Was he offered an incentive to retire ... well nobody has yet established that he was ... it is not unusual for an ageing player to look at the beginning of another pre-season and say ... my hearts not in it anymore ...

2) Is he being remunerated at a standard rate for the job he is doing ....

Nobody on here has a clue as to the answers to those questions ... but they just know ...
I am not accusing the Bulldogs or Jackson of anything. It's part of salary cap rules and is in players contracts in black and white.

I agree with the NRL . What is to stop the Roosters signing Nathan Cleary for 6 years on $250K for first 5 years and last year retiring when he is on $3M and giving him a " Coaching Role" ?
I think it is to stop long backended contracts.
Just My Opinion.

Just a thought ... has Gus gone mad ... or is he a genius .... this and the concussion comments .... he is taking stick left , right and centre ....

BUT .... the spotlight has been moved well away from Ciraldo and his bitch slapping by Seibold is all but ignored ...

Why did he walk away from his contract? If there was no guarantee of future employment would you give up $650k out of the kindness in your heart? Even if he couldn't play, his wages were guaranteed. If you truly believe he loved the dogs so much and earnt the job on merit alone then this is one thing we will never agree on.

Regardless of who is right, the Nrl can't allow it unless they are gonna monitor the who, what, when, why, how, of every post retirement employment. It's a blanket rule. IMO it's a necessity to preserve the salary cap.
I understand where you are heading with this now

The challenge is someone who is "qualified" in a field vs an "assistant coach" eg Monas

Just a thought ... has Gus gone mad ... or is he a genius .... this and the concussion comments .... he is taking stick left , right and centre ....

BUT .... the spotlight has been moved well away from Ciraldo and his bitch slapping by Seibold is all but ignored ...
Just like Sticky and his concussion rant.

“To have our 2023 salary cap impacted in this way doesn’t lend itself to a positive message when it comes to supporting our player’s post-football career prospects.

“During Josh’s long career at the Bulldogs, his only NRL club, we have assisted him in his studies to prepare him for his post-football career opportunities. Whilst with the club, he has completed a Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science, with the intention of making this his post-football career.

“Ironically, if Josh retired and joined another NRL club in the same role, there would be no salary cap impact for either club. How does it make more sense for a decorated Bulldogs captain to work for another club more than his own?”

The Bulldogs are adamant they were unaware of Jackson’s plans to retire

I think the NRL has made the right call on Jackson and the salary cap. JJ’s call to retire might have been made completely independently of the offer of his new role, but the salary cap rules need to appear to be applied fairly. His post career job at least gives the perception that it was orchestrated, and could be fairly easily orchestrated on a wink and a nudge (even if it wasn’t). The NRL has to discourage this potential abuse of the cap.

I think the NRL has made the right call on Jackson and the salary cap. JJ’s call to retire might have been made completely independently of the offer of his new role, but the salary cap rules need to appear to be applied fairly. His post career job at least gives the perception that it was orchestrated, and could be fairly easily orchestrated on a wink and a nudge (even if it wasn’t). The NRL has to discourage this potential abuse of the cap.

But the test for whether it is a tort or legit is easy to apply ... and simple ... is he being paid the standard remuneration for the position .. and is he qualified to hold it ... if the answer to those 2 questions is yes .. then the NRL has no case or cause.

If Bulldogs now sacked Jackson because 200k is being put on their cap ... to get that 200k removed ... Jackson, I feel would have a pretty good case against the NRL ..

But the test for whether it is a tort or legit is easy to apply ... and simple ... is he being paid the standard remuneration for the position .. and is he qualified to hold it ... if the answer to those 2 questions is yes .. then the NRL has no case or cause.

If Bulldogs now sacked Jackson because 200k is being put on their cap ... to get that 200k removed ... Jackson, I feel would have a pretty good case against the NRL ..
The issue is more focused on cap integrity and preserving the integrity (lol) of the salary cap. At the very least, there is a perception that Jackson has retired due to an understanding that he will be employed post footy (which the dogs had probably been planning all along, it just came one year earlier). You might say, “so what?”, and fair enough. But I reckon having a player retire early (non-medically), free up a chunk of cap space, and then be employed by the same club but in a different role, is totally open to exploitation and it’s best to have a black and white rule.

I agree he would potentially have a case if he was sacked, but it would be against the Bulldogs and not the NRL. The NRL has no issue with him being paid $200k or performing his new role, it’s just that his salary is to be included in the cap in accordance with the salary cap rules. Ie, it’s a matter for the Dogs to work out.

Only if he is being paid more than someone else doing the same role .... if he isn't .. then there is no rort .. it is just a job .
True but .
Was there a position available or did they create one , If they created one that would lead to being a job softener for retiring
Usually Positions vacant are advertised in big business to avoid favouring
At the end of the day if the club can help him financially and it’s fair
why not

“To have our 2023 salary cap impacted in this way doesn’t lend itself to a positive message when it comes to supporting our player’s post-football career prospects.

“During Josh’s long career at the Bulldogs, his only NRL club, we have assisted him in his studies to prepare him for his post-football career opportunities. Whilst with the club, he has completed a Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science, with the intention of making this his post-football career.

“Ironically, if Josh retired and joined another NRL club in the same role, there would be no salary cap impact for either club. How does it make more sense for a decorated Bulldogs captain to work for another club more than his own?”

The Bulldogs are adamant they were unaware of Jackson’s plans to retire
If he went to another club as a qualified conditioning coach would he get what Canterbury is paying him? That is the crux of the matter.

If the dogs were not under salary cap pressure this would not be a problem. However they were/are so it immediately raises red flags. The bulldogs and gus are trying to mug off the nrl and other team’s supporters, but it doesn’t look like we are that stupid gus

That was because they didn't retire ... they were injured and still being paid ... Jackson has walked away from his contract ... and isn't being paid ...
Seems like he's still getting paid, just not to play.

I guess instead of applying to medically retire Snake and Matai we should have just had them "walk away" right into paid roles at the club.

Fmd

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4