New Winger - Jason Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
OK didn't expect 2 new wingers.

Given a winger's role in the modern game is to take 1-3 of the first hit-ups of a new set, how do people feel about Saab/2Epoopoo (really gotta check that kids name...) and their ability to plug a major weakness from 2020?

ie starting our 3rd tackle on the 20m, with opposition defensive line set, our Forwards still running back on-side, our backs trying to do quick play-the-balls to milk 6-again only to be NOOOO DENIED by Refs not giving us a meal ticket.

They will jump for bombs better i'm sure, but bombs to wingers are always a speculator as is - assuming we get field position. We don't get that when we are pegged in on our 20m on tackle 3 - rather DCE is going for a 40/20 or long-kick down the throat of opposition FB/W.
Some really valid points.

It all comes back to field position and possession. Just so important to get repeat sets and stay down there, not just hand the ball back.

Probably already posted but.

Jeez he looks like an athlete. Would love to see turbo and Saab both chasing down a high bomb . Imagine a smaller fullback like the papenhauzen having those monsters jumping over you.
Can't wait to see it. Saab and Tuipulotu could both become not only manly favourites but NRL favourites very quickly. Add Turbo out the back and its exciting times. I feel we have a lot of nice and good guys in our team that other supporters won't be able to hate us!

Probably already posted but.

Jeez he looks like an athlete. Would love to see turbo and Saab both chasing down a high bomb . Imagine a smaller fullback like the papenhauzen having those monsters jumping over you.

Plus he doesn't do the Gutho hip pump/hands behind the head b/s when he scores a try so that gets him super mega bonus points.

If Des/dce/foz/brains trust don't practice kicking to wingers in the pre season in anticipation of our new gigantors, then I dunno, peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Plus he doesn't do the Gutho hip pump/hands behind the head b/s when he scores a try so that gets him super mega bonus points.

If Des/dce/foz/brains trust don't practice kicking to wingers in the pre season in anticipation of our new gigantors, then I dunno, peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Yes we should be able to bomb the wings and come up with tries and then defend the bombs far far better AND also have real pace out wide to maximise any breaks..... But yes we can't expect everything in the first half of the season - these guys need to learn how to be NRL players and to play at a consistently high level. So there will be some bumps especially early on.

If you are correct ... and with your connections to alternate Universes, playboy underwear, and knowledge of Existential Quantum Dynamics ... I have no doubts that you are ... why all the drama and hand wringing by Silvertails for a 4th string winger ...

Have the mighty fallen so far ... do we know something the Saints don't ... or are we so desperate for signing news we would cheer the announcement of an extension and up-grade of T-Rex's contract ..?
The Dragons and other astute judges of NRL talent have had huge wraps on this kid for years. There are plenty of news articles about this fact available on the internet. The Goons signed him to a very decent contract and they didn't want to release him. Griffin's mate who is a QLD Cup coach strongly advised him not to let him go.

Saab has also scored four tries in his first grade games, not bad going for a 20 year old. Add that to his 198cm frame, natural speed, and desire to be here, and it should become apparent why many on here are excited to have him come across.

The Dragons and other astute judges of NRL talent have had huge wraps on this kid for years. There are plenty of news articles about this fact available on the internet. The Goons signed him to a very decent contract and they didn't want to release him. Griffin's mate who is a QLD Cup coach strongly advised him not to let him go.

Saab has also scored four tries in his first grade games, not bad going for a 20 year old. Add that to his 198cm frame, natural speed, and desire to be here, and it should become apparent why many on here are excited to have him come across.

Saab is a reasonable signing .. could go either way ... but Sorry if I don't get as excited as Canberra are over young Hoppa having a look .. with only so many wild beating heart and come to Jesus moments left .. I will save them for the signings like Ben Kennedy or Jamie Lyon ..

Personally I believe the signings of Aloaia and Foran and Topuloopa will be more productive .. But, more power to Saab ... first he has to make the 17 ... and then stay there ...

A winger with potential is a long way down my list of things to crow from the roof tops... however you keep the circle jerk going ....

Saab is a reasonable signing .. could go either way ... but Sorry if I don't get as excited as Canberra are over young Hoppa having a look .. with only so many wild beating heart and come to Jesus moments left .. I will save them for the signings like Ben Kennedy or Jamie Lyon ..

Personally I believe the signings of Aloaia and Foran and Topuloopa will be more productive .. But, more power to Saab ... first he has to make the 17 ... and then stay there ...

A winger with potential is a long way down my list of things to crow from the roof tops... however you keep the circle jerk going ....
Nothing like an each way bet hey Woodsie. And Ben Kennedy probably isn't a good example as a pull out the party hats signing... he was a past champion when he came to us. Busted and broken and injury prone. His signing was mocked by most fans. Bit like Foran.

Last edited:
Nothing like an each way bet hey Woodsie. And Ben Kennedy probably isn't a good example as a pull out the party hats signing... he was a past champion when he came to us. Busted and broken and injury prone. His signing was mocked by most fans. Bit like Foran.

Every single player coming through the ranks is an each way bet ...until they prove otherwise ... I will happily sit back and wish him well without getting all excited and hailing it the greatest signing since the Magna Carta ...

And he is a winger ... there are reasons why even the best wingers only get paid about $300k and half's, Fullbacks and some props get paid a million ...

But carry on ... greatest ever signing ...

Every single player coming through the ranks is an each way bet ...until they prove otherwise ... I will happily sit back and wish him well without getting all excited and hailing it the greatest signing since the Magna Carta ...

And he is a winger ... there are reasons why even the best wingers only get paid about $300k and half's, Fullbacks and some props get paid a million ...

But carry on ... greatest ever signing ...
Never once said he was the greatest ever signing. (Another woodsie ism right there.) But we have been bemoaning our lack of tall fast wingers for a few seasons now... Saab is tall, fast and a real threat in the air. He's also scored four tries in seven games for a very ordinary Goons outfit. So, yeah I'm pleased with the signing.

He's also scored four tries in seven games for a very ordinary Goons outfit.

And yet couldn't lock down a regular spot in what you call a very ordinary Goon's outfit ..

And I must be strange ... I just want good wingers who can finish ... Tall and fast is good .. but I would take short and fast like JAC, Nofoaluma or Irvine, or powerful like Jorge and Mansour or athletic and skilful like many of the young guns ...

Just being Tall and fast is a good start ... but yet to see if he is a complete footballer ... if he is ... I will get excited ... until then ...

And yet couldn't lock down a regular spot in what you call a very ordinary Goon's outfit ..

And I must be strange ... I just want good wingers who can finish ... Tall and fast is good .. but I would take short and fast like JAC, Nofoaluma or Irvine, or powerful like Jorge and Mansour or athletic and skilful like many of the young guns ...

Just being Tall and fast is a good start ... but yet to see if he is a complete footballer ... if he is ... I will get excited ... until then ...
I'm pretty excited to see what he brings Woodsie, great in the air and fast so that's an attribute we have been missing, but an area which is Integral for a quality winger in the modern game is good kick returns and those ugly runs from your own end, that can either gain you great momentum for the set, or have you on the back foot.
His long lean frame offers plenty of opportunity in many ways to be held up and driven back, slowing the attacking tempo early in the set when it counts....but I will reserve opinions on this till I see what the kid brings....and it may take 6 -7 weeks to find his feet - I do like his attitude and energy in interviews, now show us what ya got Mr Saab....

I'm pretty excited to see what he brings Woodsie, great in the air and fast so that's an attribute we have been missing, but an area which is Integral for a quality winger in the modern game is good kick returns and those ugly runs from your own end, that can either gain you great momentum for the set, or have you on the back foot.
His long lean frame offers plenty of opportunity in many ways to be held up and driven back, slowing the attacking tempo early in the set when it counts....but I will reserve opinions on this till I see what the kid brings....and it may take 6 -7 weeks to find his feet - I do like his attitude and energy in interviews, now show us what ya got Mr Saab....
Speed is power. I don't see him getting driven back too much. From what I've seen of him he just reminds me of a faster Daniel Tupou

Last edited:

Woodsie he was dropped from 1st grade because of the standoff & his request for a release, not so much to do with his ability. Let's give the guy a chance to show his wares. Hopefully he'll be a goodun!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2