New Winger - Christian Tuipulotu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Also, all this talk about the Dogs recruitment...the reason they can sign more players than Manly is because they have an empty cabinet...we have the current QLD winning Captain and Tom T amongst a host of other stars. As for Burton and Flanagan, they don't have the talent of Josh Schuster...and besides, Burton is an untried rookie and Flanagan couldn't get the best roster over the line this year, so what makes you think he'll improve the Dogs any? He is solid and nothing else. Definitely not explosive.
Great points Snake

Which of these players is a huge loss?

AFB? Didnt want to be here.

Thommo? At the end of his career & looking for his retirement fund final contract, which is fair enough, he's been a servant of the game & given his all but Manly were honest & said they weren't going to make him a big offer (both $$$ or duration-wise) so he & the club appear to have amicably agreed that he'll depart for ESL.

The rest won't be missed.
AFB 'didn't want to be here' yet was miles our best forward last year. There was no one as impactful as him on the field in any game the entire year.

We can all fob off AFB for being a thug and a sook... but he is the best prop in comp (with Papalii) and will be sorely missed. If you think Aloiai is a like for like you have a big realisation ahead.

The value proposition in losing AFB was that we could strengthen the squad across the park, sign a good winger and a second rower, maybe a hooker. If that doesn't happen, we are definitely a reduced squad. Again, all hinges on Tom T playing the year anyways.

AFB 'didn't want to be here' yet was miles our best forward last year. There was no one as impactful as him on the field in any game the entire year.

We can all fob off AFB for being a thug and a sook... but he is the best prop in comp (with Papalii) and will be sorely missed. If you think Aloiai is a like for like you have a big realisation ahead.

The value proposition in losing AFB was that we could strengthen the squad across the park, sign a good winger and a second rower, maybe a hooker. If that doesn't happen, we are definitely a reduced squad. Again, all hinges on Tom T playing the year anyways.

It doesnt matter how good a player is, if they dont want to be here we won't be getting their best efforts.

4 things stuffed our season last year tom hamstring, lack of adapting to 6 again, lack of genuine hooker and wingers without mobility of height.
The first one far outweighs anything else Tom when fit is among best 2 or 3 players in comp when fit that's it in nutshell look at him origin.
I have no doubt our coaching staff will be onto this fairly quickly and we will be much better and more mobile.
The hooker situation seems still fairly hazy foran or cust until fainu out of the woods. As for Walker he not been stood down so imo he playing so no issue there.
Wingers we working on no doubt Jorge has Achilles so he be out for fair while and Garrick no shoe in and competing will be likes of Funa, Koula, Harper, Parker and kid from roosters. I believe this area will see improvement from last season.
As for loses Thommo was way down in form from season before, Davey not his replacement he a bench replacement for waddell who did not set world on fire while he was here. This season is perfect for Goewiski to make spot his own and believe he has agression to do that.
Afb I don't see issue here at all, Paseka was big shining light in our season and walks straight into starting.
Josh Schuster a star that is pretty clear so he make a huge difference and I can see a few more kids making step up. Very sad about young titmus it will affect younger kids in squad.
The Aloiai and Saab yes it may happen but it may not.
Spot on.

Agree with everything but for the part about the 2nd rowers... 2nd rowers are supposed to run lines, not ball play. That's the job of the halves - either play short, or out the back. In fact, a lot of people here are talking about Siro not passing wide. 2nd rowers (as opposed to locks) aren't supposed to - there are exceptions (wade graham, John bateman, etc) but this is not the norm. Fans weren't happy with Siro always cutting back to the ruck. And fair enough, but most likely this was at the request of Des/Chez. Chez is a right-foot kicker, and I assume with all 5th tackle plays resting on his shoulders, it makes sense that he/Des needed the ruck centre/left towards the end of sets so defenders are running at his left thus giving him more time to put in a kick. Again, this would have been in response to the lack of playmakers in the team. Apologies, just thought I'd get that off my chest!

Everything you say is correct and makes sense .. but, The roles of players in particular positions are constantly changing .. and no more than after the current season, and no more than 2nd rowers ... players like Kikau that can break the line on the outside of his defender and link up with the outside backs is the future ... pidgeon holing an attacking weapon's game to inside runs just to provide a kicking advantage is not going to cut it ... but I get the need for field position and shape ...

2nd rowers today need to be big strong fast mungo's with the skills of an old school centre ... or simply centres on steroids ...

Agree with everything but for the part about the 2nd rowers... 2nd rowers are supposed to run lines, not ball play. That's the job of the halves - either play short, or out the back. In fact, a lot of people here are talking about Siro not passing wide. 2nd rowers (as opposed to locks) aren't supposed to - there are exceptions (wade graham, John bateman, etc) but this is not the norm. Fans weren't happy with Siro always cutting back to the ruck. And fair enough, but most likely this was at the request of Des/Chez. Chez is a right-foot kicker, and I assume with all 5th tackle plays resting on his shoulders, it makes sense that he/Des needed the ruck centre/left towards the end of sets so defenders are running at his left thus giving him more time to put in a kick. Again, this would have been in response to the lack of playmakers in the team. Apologies, just thought I'd get that off my chest!
Just because a second rowers job is to run lines doesn’t mean he doesn’t need to pass the ball. A players job is to be a good footy player on the pitch as much as it is to do one thing like you’ve listed.

Unless your David Fifita, there is no reason for you to starve your outside backs of ball all year. Especially considering part of Sironens signing was that he has historically been a ‘ball playing’ back rower with good hands... something that has been severly reduced in his time at manly.

If you look at the best second rowers you will see they still pass the ball to their centre if theres space, not many other second towers will run an unders line back into the guts of the opposition regardless of if there is space outwide with the ability to attack.

How many times did you see Suli actually get the ball to do his damaging run outwide and palm the opposition? Like he did against Souths in the finals in 2019. Not many in 2020.

My point was that if AFB wasnt ‘giving his best effort’ it was far better than any other forwards performance, which is worrying

I get what you're saying but his form had dropped off a bit, seemingly soon after various player salaries were published, despite his departure revealing he was on a pretty good salary himself.

Great player but I just get the feeling discipline will continue to be a problem for him both on & off the field.

Yes he is a big loss for us but if he didn't want to be here I could see his form dropping further & his behaviour worsening.

I'm interested to see how he goes at the Warriors - will he go on to greater heights or settle into the role of a solid prop?

I get what you're saying but his form had dropped off a bit, seemingly soon after various player salaries were published, despite his departure revealing he was on a pretty good salary himself.

Great player but I just get the feeling discipline will continue to be a problem for him both on & off the field.

Yes he is a big loss for us but if he didn't want to be here I could see his form dropping further & his behaviour worsening.

I'm interested to see how he goes at the Warriors - will he go on to greater heights or settle into the role of a solid prop?
Or will he get into off field strife? It seems to me that his impact on the younger players and his off field antics and his affiliations while he was at Manly had worn thin.

Hoppa is not on a train and trial contract with the Broncos...that's Albert Kelly.

Oh, thank you ! So I can still hang onto hope that we keep him ! I'd love all of Trbojevic, Hopoate, Saab, Suli, Walker, Schuster in our backline. Alternatively, I'd love Saab and Tuipulotu on the wings, but again, these are hopes.

In regards to The Dogs acquiring players like Cotric, Burton, and Addo-Carr (people are bagging Flannagan it seems), and the only reason being that huge money is being offered, it also doesn't seem players are falling over themselves to play under Des (although we are releasing quite a few that "don't want to be here") as some are putting it. A mate told me Koroisou will be joining Barrett when able as well.

I do agree with the summation their high end players aren't of the ilk of Manly's. I guess Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson (to a lesser degree Napa, DWZ & Hetherington) are as good as it gets, but adding Cotric, Addo-Carr, Burton, Koroisou will add to that I guess. I also think that machine Okunbor (if he can remain injury free), will be a complete beast (tore us a new arsehole this past season).

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Jayden Okunbor
03. Will Hopoate
04. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
05. Nick Cotric
06. Matt Burton
07. Kyle Flannagan
08. Dylan Napa
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Jack Hetherington
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Adam Elliott
13. Josh Jackson

14. Nick Meaney
15. Luke Thompson
17. Corey Waddell

Not that great, even with their signings to be honest. Fair enough guys. Mind you, I'm not all over their roster like I am ours, so I may have even picked players out of position there.

Oh, thank you ! So I can still hang onto hope that we keep him ! I'd love all of Trbojevic, Hopoate, Saab, Suli, Walker, Schuster in our backline. Alternatively, I'd love Saab and Tuipulotu on the wings, but again, these are hopes.

In regards to The Dogs acquiring players like Cotric, Burton, and Addo-Carr (people are bagging Flannagan it seems), and the only reason being that huge money is being offered, it also doesn't seem players are falling over themselves to play under Des (although we are releasing quite a few that "don't want to be here") as some are putting it. A mate told me Koroisou will be joining Barrett when able as well.

I do agree with the summation their high end players aren't of the ilk of Manly's. I guess Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson (to a lesser degree Napa, DWZ & Hetherington) are as good as it gets, but adding Cotric, Addo-Carr, Burton, Koroisou will add to that I guess. I also think that machine Okunbor (if he can remain injury free), will be a complete beast (tore us a new arsehole this past season).

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Jayden Okunbor
03. Will Hopoate
04. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
05. Nick Cotric
06. Matt Burton
07. Kyle Flannagan
08. Dylan Napa
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Jack Hetherington
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Adam Elliott
13. Josh Jackson

14. Nick Meaney
15. Luke Thompson
17. Corey Waddell

Not that great, even with their signings to be honest. Fair enough guys. Mind you, I'm not all over their roster like I am ours, so I may have even picked players out of position there.
averillo will definitely be in there. I thought they signed spencer leniu from panthers? I guess not

DWZ will go to wing and either JAC or Hoppa at fullback. Surely they don't put JAC at fullback... otherwise pretty spot on. They won't make the 8 next year but they won't be in the spoon either I don't think. 10th-13th for them... an improve. Looking for the top 8 the next year maybe

Also why do you have koroisau at 9? Can't really see him leaving anytime soon. Who was your source? Thats interesting if so.

Just because a second rowers job is to run lines doesn’t mean he doesn’t need to pass the ball. A players job is to be a good footy player on the pitch as much as it is to do one thing like you’ve listed.

Unless your David Fifita, there is no reason for you to starve your outside backs of ball all year. Especially considering part of Sironens signing was that he has historically been a ‘ball playing’ back rower with good hands... something that has been severly reduced in his time at manly.

If you look at the best second rowers you will see they still pass the ball to their centre if theres space, not many other second towers will run an unders line back into the guts of the opposition regardless of if there is space outwide with the ability to attack.

How many times did you see Suli actually get the ball to do his damaging run outwide and palm the opposition? Like he did against Souths in the finals in 2019. Not many in 2020.
Would love to see Siro take the 13, and use his skills like gifty did on that right edge

Last edited:
averillo will definitely be in there. I thought they signed spencer leniu from panthers? I guess not

DWZ will go to wing and either JAC or Hoppa at fullback. Surely they don't put JAC at fullback... otherwise pretty spot on. They won't make the 8 next year but they won't be in the spoon either I don't think. 10th-13th for them... an improve. Looking for the top 8 the next year maybe

Also why do you have koroisau at 9? Can't really see him leaving anytime soon. Who was your source? Thats interesting if so.

Mark Arthurson (Ken's son)

Agree, Snake. It's not T-Baz who's getting players to the Dogs, it's money, pure and simple. Makes the world go around, apparently, and definitely makes a huge difference in the NRL. The Blue Steel gaze will only get you so far.

Ron, it would appear to me as an "impartial" observer ... that the only people that don't rate Baz highly ... are on this Forum .. Burton knocked back an equally large offer from Sharks because of his history with him ... Flannigan's manager is his Dad who is a Premiership winning coach, who also knocked back Sharks to have his son coached by Baz .. IF, and I repeat IF, JAC ends up at the doggies he will also have knocked back equally big offers from several clubs .. We, Des, among a couple of other clubs were also after Herrington who also chose to go to Baz ...

mate told me Koroisou will be joining Barrett when able as well.
I don’t doubt that Baz is a lovely bloke. But players may be going to the Dogs right now 1) because they are paid overs and possibly 2) because Baz is likeable - but not because they want to be serious premiership contenders. Best case they will be nuisance value

Ron, it would appear to me as an "impartial" observer ... that the only people that don't rate Baz highly ... are on this Forum .. Burton knocked back an equally large offer from Sharks because of his history with him ... Flannigan's manager is his Dad who is a Premiership winning coach, who also knocked back Sharks to have his son coached by Baz .. IF, and I repeat IF, JAC ends up at the doggies he will also have knocked back equally big offers from several clubs .. We, Des, among a couple of other clubs were also after Herrington who also chose to go to Baz ...
please woodsie I beg you, stop doing this, I can't stand any more

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4