New Rules For State of Origin Eligibility

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
NRL - National Rugby League

The ARL Commission has today changed the rules regarding State of Origin eligibility. From 2013 no player will be eligible to play for NSW or Queensland unless he has lived in that state prior to the age of thirteen & must be eligible to play for Australia.

Click here to continue reading the article

So does this apply to existing SOO players that now no longer qualify for SOO.

This will rule out quite a few players you would assume.

Eagles2nv said:

I dont think it does. It says the rule change is "from 2013" and one would assume that they couldnt simply reverse the eligibility once already enacted.

Eagles2nv said:

It's a bit of a grey area that one if you ask me. The article doesn't really make it that clear. The article says "From 2013" but does that mean following or including the 2013 season. It is something that the ARLC will have to clarify in my opinion. There are a lot of people asking the same question as you on facebook too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151209014258074&set=a.127919848073.107872.6878248073&type=1

Eagles2nv said:

No. From this article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8096710/ARLC-tightens-State-of-Origin-eligibility-rules

It states:

"It's not a retrospective rule, it's something that will be applied moving forward and it just brings clarity ... which is important to us and I think it's important to all fans of the game."

mmmdl said:
Eagles2nv said:

No. From this article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8096710/ARLC-tightens-State-of-Origin-eligibility-rules

It states:

"It's not a retrospective rule, it's something that will be applied moving forward and it just brings clarity ... which is important to us and I think it's important to all fans of the game."

Thanks for clearing that up. It's a pity that the official NRL site article couldn't have made it as clear as the Kiwi news article.

The way i see it is.
A child is a burden on the taxpayer. They therefore owe the state that contributes the most to their upbringing. It should count what school system they were in, what junior areas they played in and work out to where they owe themself as the contributing member of society they now are.

Pretty simple to work out. Tamou is a Kiwi. Sterlo is a NSWman, although born in Qld he was raised in NSW. Inglis is a blue and so on.

With Australia's mobile households a kiddie could have lived in both NSW and Qld prior to their thirteenth birthday. So does the Player still gets to nominate his 'origin' State :huh:

It should have been where you first played junior RL - say from Harold Matthews age.

If Izzy returns to RL after 2013, will he have to play for the Blues then ?
He didn't move to Qld till later in life?

Rex said:
Will the likes of Inglis argue they went on holidays in Surfers as a kid, and not being dead at the time, "lived" there?

Will Wally start adopting 20 year old rising stars?

"And not being dead at the time" :)

love it Rex...

I can see the rule being stretched already.

Also say for example you are from another State (not NSW or Q) move to NSW or QLD and only start palying footy at age 14? You would be ineligible for SOO?

Good idea, that system needed to be revamped for ages.
They need to make it all clear, to cover all plausible origins of players at various ages etc.
And yes, it should remain only for players who also qualify to play for Australia.

Brookie said:
still....
its time to let the inglis thing go NSW!

Personally I don't want people like Inglis in the Blues side. If he exhibits the same degree of loyalty to his teammates as he did to the State in which he was born and raised, then frankly the Maroons can have him. I'd prefer players who WANT to play for our State.

Chip and Chase said:
Brookie said:
still....
its time to let the inglis thing go NSW!

Personally I don't want people like Inglis in the Blues side. If he exhibits the same degree of loyalty to his teammates as he did to the State in which he was born and raised, then frankly the Maroons can have him. I'd prefer players who WANT to play for our State.

i'm Qld fan though & through, but totally agree with what you say!
but, i think NSW need to look at why Inglis chose to play for Qld over NSW.... also why does the best centre in the game (Jamie) not want to play? both have very different reason's if you ask them, but i think it has something to do with the actual environment and the people in power positions with in the NSWRL ranks....
very rarely do you see (if ever) someone turning down a Qld jumper, has happened a few times that i can recall with NSW, needs to be looked at IMO.

one other thing, i agree Inglis 'chose' the wrong team based on old eligiblity rules, but i always bring up kenny nagas as a reverse example, people seem to go quiet when this is bought up.....?

I think the issue is for young players they are given an opportunity to play Origin and it may not be for their State of choice, but it's too good an opportunity to pass up in case they don't get any offers from their preferred State. It would take someone very loyal, or someone very confident in their ability to hold out for a spot. There is also the very considerable financial benefits players receive for playing SOO, hard to knock that back on the basis of State loyalty.

I think the difference with Nagas and Inglis is that Nagas was on the record as saying he somewhat regretted his decision to become a Blue. I've never heard anything except hyperbole from Inglis about his Queensland "roots" and the Maroon blood coursing through his veins.

Who gives a F about ingliss really. He chose the better side ( current talent wise) because he wanted to win. I'm happy that we are getting close to having definite rules about origin so if origin survives (remember the sooks said if they don't win it's dead) it will be origin. I'm born in Manly Nsw and will always support them even though I now live in Qld.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8