New coach for Manly - not Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Trent Barrett poised to take over as Manly Sea Eagles coach from Geoff Toovey
May 30, 2015 - 10:00PM

Trent Barrett could be coaching Manly within a fortnight in a move that would end Geoff Toovey's lifelong association with the club.

It is understood Barrett has all but agreed to shift from the foot of the mountains to Manly from 2016, although his tenure could begin much earlier if Toovey is prepared to walk. As revealed by Fairfax Media last week, Sea Eagles powerbrokers had earmarked Barrett as their long-term coach and had been secretly negotiating with him for more than two months. While Toovey is contracted until the end of 2016, he has lost the support of influential figures behind the scenes.

Toovey has compiled a formidable 58 per cent winning record since taking over in difficult circumstances from Des Hasler in 2012, leading the side to three consecutive finals appearances, including a grand final.

However, a poor start to the season, which has left them in last place prior to Saturday night's clash with North Queensland, has given officials the ammunition they need to spear the legendary former player and life member.

Barrett is currently an assistant to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and also the head coach of Country Origin. While he remains under contract, the Panthers won't stand in the way of his ambition of becoming a first-grade head coach.

The only possible sticking point in Barrett's move to the Northern Beaches revolves around the future of Daly Cherry-Evans. The Maroons playmaker has signed a four-year deal with the Gold Coast but has until round 13 to backflip on the decision and stay put. It's understood Barrett - himself a representative playmaker during stints with the Steelers, Dragons and Sharks - is reluctant to dive into a head coaching position unless he has a quality halfback to work with. To that end, the Sea Eagles are desperately trying to retain Cherry-Evans by upping their offer to match the four-year deal he accepted to move to the holiday strip.

Barrett is close to league Immortal Bob Fulton, who was recently appointed as Manly's "strategic football consultant", from their time together in representative teams. Toovey is also close with his old coach but it appears their relationship won't be enough to spare him from the axe.

Sea Eagles CEO Joe Kelly has publicly guaranteed Toovey will see out his contract on numerous occasions, a message that has been contradicted by chairman Scott Penn.

"I've been consistent from the day I started at the club, and I got asked the question before I started at the club about Geoff's tenure as head coach – Geoff's got a two-year contract. I absolutely expect to honour that two-year contract," Kelly said at a recent address to members.

"I have no intentions of doing anything otherwise than seeing Geoff honour that two-year contract."

However, it is understood officials were banking on the side losing away matches to the Cowboys and Broncos - as well as retaining Cherry-Evans - to justify the handover to Barrett

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-coach-from-geoff-toovey-20150530-ghd556.html

From what I am hearing, Tooves isn't very hands on. Penna and the others are running most of the training
I have heard from past players that have played under Tooves that aren't with the club anymore that Tooves is liked and respected amongst the players and he is a great tactician and football brain but he is not so strong in the individual man management department. I don't believe that Barrett will be brought in as anymore than an assistant or even hired at all. Penn and Kelly know that it would be futile to replace 2V with anything but a tried and tested highly successful first grade coach. Bringing in an untested Muppet like Barrett is crazy talk half of our team ran rings around Barrett they are hardly going to listen to him as a coach. Dean Richie has tweeted and says its all rubbish about
Toovey and knowing Richies connection with the Penns I reckon he is right on this occasion.

Last edited:
We are.coming dead last mate. Are.you happy or satisfied with where things are at?
What do you expect the great Trent 'bitchslapped' Barrett to do with identical injury reports? Assume he wins his first 2 games because the back line is fit, then remove Matai or Lyon plus Taufua,Snake and DCE for the rest of the season

Do we sack him too when we don't win another game? Or do you stick by him because Meal AbZorba likes to chill with Barrett?

What do you expect the great Trent 'bitchslapped' Barrett to do with identical injury reports? Assume he wins his first 2 games because the back line is fit, then remove Matai or Lyon plus Taufua,Snake and DCE for the rest of the season

Do we sack him too when we don't win another game? Or do you stick by him because Meal AbZorba likes to chill with Barrett?

so true Cherry. A good coach knows how to build depth/how to utilize the depth. Tooves is still working on this. How is Trent more superior in this area?

If the club as a whole decide to make a change in the coaching ranks, then I'll support that decision, and stick with the team, unlike some supporters who claim they'll be handing in their badges.

Simple as that. Barrett has nothing to do with it. Could be Bennett or Bellamy either for all I care.

I just applaud the club for wanting to impliment change. We have lost 16 of 20 our last various types of games.

That's a record I've NEVER seen from any Manly side, despite the various tropical excuses people are coming up with for Toovey.

If the club as a whole decide to make a change in the coaching ranks, then I'll support that decision, and stick with the team, unlike some supporters who claim they'll be handing in their badges.

Simple as that. Barrett has nothing to do with it. Could be Bennett or Bellamy either for all I care.

I just applaud the club for wanting to impliment change. We have lost 16 of 20 our last various types of games.

That's a record I've NEVER seen from any Manly side, despite the various tropical excuses people are coming up with for Toovey.

I understand Ryan. But do we go for whatever is available for the sake of change? Like many other poster, sure a formidable coach would be worth the change. As for Barret who knows? Might be worth the risk?

I understand Ryan. But do we go for whatever is available for the sake of change? Like many other poster, sure a formidable coach would be worth the change. As for Barret who knows? Might be worth the risk?

Who knows is right. The main thing is we are trying.

I'm still of the opinion that their 94 team that flogged Barca in the Champs League final is the best ever.

They had 2 of their starting defenders not play that final either.

The late 80s/early 90s team coached by Arrigo Sacchi would prob be the greatest team ever with the Dutch trio of Van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit. Last team to win 2 champions league finals in a row as well

If Malthouse ever coaches Manly we will not know the meaning of the words "we hate manly" we would become hated on another level which would become an uproar.Imagine that,yea bring it on.

They had 2 of their starting defenders not play that final either.

The late 80s/early 90s team coached by Arrigo Sacchi would prob be the greatest team ever with the Dutch trio of Van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit. Last team to win 2 champions league finals in a row as well

No Franco Baresi...no costacurta...no Lentini...and in the days when you could only have three "foreign" players

Selectively using part of last year's season is disingenuous. We have lost 8 out of 11 games this season is how the discussion should be framed when talking about Toovey's recent results.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4