Need for speed 21

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gosh there has been some exceptional tries. Oh to have David Williams back.

There were plenty of good days on the hill with him out there.

All in all he was a good winger who had the good fortune of playing outside DCE/Orford, Gift and Jamie Lyon for pretty much his whole career.

The difference now is that the ball hardly ever reaches our outside backs when we have a half decent surge downfield... leaving them to (basically) just do grunt work out of our own 20m zone. Which probably doesn't give them much confidence either.

To me it seems like Garrick particularly suffered this year on that last point, but last year he found the try line when he needed to, and had pretty decent pace. We could swap him for Saab but that won't make much difference without some changes to attacking structure and set plays.

There were plenty of good days on the hill with him out there.

All in all he was a good winger who had the good fortune of playing outside DCE/Orford, Gift and Jamie Lyon for pretty much his whole career.

The difference now is that the ball hardly ever reaches our outside backs when we have a half decent surge downfield... leaving them to (basically) just do grunt work out of our own 20m zone. Which probably doesn't give them much confidence either.

To me it seems like Garrick particularly suffered this year on that last point, but last year he found the try line when he needed to, and had pretty decent pace. We could swap him for Saab but that won't make much difference without some changes to attacking structure and set plays.

I agree Scorpio, and I think it was probably strategic because I suspect Des realised his outside backs without Walker and Turbo were not effective enough to set up that sort of play. I think Garrick, if he stays, will turn into a quite effective winger with good inside distribution. That's why I would hope that Walker is back in the centres and Schuster at 5/8. Both fast and deceptive and good at setting up their outside men. DCE will then operate much more effectively and I suspect having Foran as dummy half could be quite effective also. And Harper may also be a reasonable winger...just a thought.

I agree Scorpio, and I think it was probably strategic because I suspect Des realised his outside backs without Walker and Turbo were not effective enough to set up that sort of play. I think Garrick, if he stays, will turn into a quite effective winger with good inside distribution. That's why I would hope that Walker is back in the centres and Schuster at 5/8. Both fast and deceptive and good at setting up their outside men. DCE will then operate much more effectively and I suspect having Foran as dummy half could be quite effective also. And Harper may also be a reasonable winger...just a thought.
I’m growing on the thought of Schuster / Foran / DCE and as long as Foran stays fit it could well be a masterstroke.

As I said in another thread he just needs to model his game on Scam ( hardly ever tackles or gets tackled ).

We are going to struggle to get into the top 8 next year we just do not have the explosive speed. We need to go recruiting in fiji once covid is over to get us our version of sivo

or semi- (the Canberra one)
The 6 again rule brought out the dominance of many Fijian backline flyers this year.
They are outstanding athletes already, but ‘6 again’ highlighted how they are very much the prototype of the NRL future

so much talent in Fiji, hopefully crusher who I assume is still the talent scout can get a look at some of this emerging talent

or semi- (the Canberra one)
The 6 again rule brought out the dominance of many Fijian backline flyers this year.
They are outstanding athletes already, but ‘6 again’ highlighted how they are very much the prototype of the NRL future

so much talent in Fiji, hopefully crusher who I assume is still the talent scout can get a look at some of this emerging talent
Cannot understate this. I've seen a bit of rugby in Fiji, in villages and at national level and there is a lot of talent there, just needs to be nurtured, given an opportunity.

Ilikena Vudogo,unsigned at the Broncos and too many in front of him.Came across from Fijian 7s' side last year,would go ok.Semo Ravutaumada in the same situation at Warriors,both can motor and athletes like we do not currently have.Pretty sure both are still unsigned.
Tyronne Roberts-Davis is tall and seriously fast,on a one year contract with the Knights and unsigned,can also play fullback,the guys are there if anyone really looks.....

One of the reasons the All Blacks are so dominant in World Rugby, is the Polynesian element (Including the Maoris). Rugby League and Union suit their size, speed and strength. Manly would not lose chasing up a few to add to the squad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7