Near signings and near departures

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We had Paul Gallen all but signed in 2007 until a personal intervention from Ricky Stuart.

*according to Paul Gallens Book

Storms Matt Geyer and Tony Martin were on the way late 90's, but backflipped.

One thing that becomes clear with signings like the possible Gallen deal is that the coach and in turn success of a club opens up doors to players that would be off the radar.
Perceived Successful sides (or those with a BOZO in the back office) will always get the player above a basket case club. We spent the last half decade as a basket case and with Des now back at the lead if sucess continues you will see big names returning (if we need them)....

Perceived Successful sides (or those with a BOZO in the back office) will always get the player above a basket case club. We spent the last half decade as a basket case and with Des now back at the lead if sucess continues you will see big names returning (if we need them)....
Agree with that except I can't see us going for any big names in the next few years, due to the fact we are one of the clubs who have a salary cap...

Last edited:
Didn't we almost sign Todd Bencong as CEO.

1578305693983.png

I remember seeing an interview after Trent Barrett was signed as the coach where they said that Bozo almost got Trent Barrett (the player).

If that had happened, he would have got the MDNA necessary to be a successful finals and premiership winning Manly Warringah Sea Eagles coach.

Graeme Langlands almost signed with us, but chose instead to join St George. But we outmanoeuvred them and other clubs for Graeme Eadie

Anybody know how real the Moylan rumours were ?

Not that I'm disappointed he didn't come. He's been underwhelming at the Gummies. The Riff got the better of that deal.

Graeme Langlands almost signed with us, but chose instead to join St George. But we outmanoeuvred them and other clubs for Graeme Eadie
Langlands was destined for Manly until Brian Graham of St George was enlisted into the Army and the rest is history.

We also signed Zinzan Brooke from the All Blacks, but he changed his mind at the last moment to stay with the All Blacks.

Considering the long and distinguished international career he had with the All Blacks, I actually think Brooke made the right call to stay in union, as much as having someone of his talent would have been good for us.

For every Michael O'Connor and Matthew Ridge who succeeded in the move from union to league, there was a John Gallagher and John Kirwan who failed.

And... a Garrick Morgan

Now there is a name I haven't heard in probably 20 years. Giant Wallaby who was signed by the South Queensland Crushers and literally big things were expected of him. He went back to union with his tail between his legs after less than one year. He played just 2 games for the Crushers.

People think Nelson Asofa-Solomona is big at 200 cm (6'7) and 115 kg. Morgan in his playing days was 201 cm and 122 kg. And he was 25 years before NAS.

The son of former Manly forward John "Pogo" Morgan I believe. Just goes to show that being the son of a former first grade, state and international rep doesn't guarantee success.

Garrick Morgan wasn't a total sporting flop though. He did play 24 tests for the Wallabies from 1992-94 and 1996-97. And that was a time when the Wallabies had a pretty good record.

He turns 50 on 25 January. Below is an interesting article on Garrick Morgan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4