My top 3 manly memories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
@:)
"Pea nuts, pea nuts. Candy coated or in the shell!"
The one time I actually bought a packet of peanuts, sometime in the 80's, my little bro and I were sitting away from Dad, in the southern stands with some mates. There was a really annoying tigers supporter in front of us so in my 14-yr-old wisdom, I decided to throw a peanut at his head. The guy flipped out and went and grabbed my little bro -holder of the packet and 11 years old. The adult bloke threatened to smash him. Feeling major big sister guilt I told the guy I threw it. He swore his head off at us and we were pretty scared for the rest of match. Reflecting, I understand cheeky little kids shouldn't throw peanuts at people but adults shouldn't threaten to smash 11 year olds.
Manly won though so all was good. Never bought any more peanuts as they were fraught with danger.:D
These posts from fellow Silvertails bring up the memories. Keep 'em coming.

1. Phil Blake early 1980s.
2. Paul Shaw in reserve grade mid 1980s. Absolutely no one could tackle him. Scored tries from nothing.
3. This manly try from 1976.
I was at that game, round 22 in 1976 at Leichhardt oval, we needed to win to secure the minor premiership and the tigers needed to win to make the 5, Manly belted them 30-11 a huge performance and this try was amazing!

This is the best thread ever!!! After all the negativity this year this thread is why we follow The Sea Eagles and why they mean so much to so many.

Reading these there are so many great memories from everyone's top three, memories are flooding back. I can't narrow it down there as there are just too many and mine aren't just about the footy but the people I was with watching many of those games and the memories of growing up as a mad Manly fan and now keeping that tradition going with my kids.

1. Going to my first games at Brookie in 1976 with my Dad. What a year to start going. When the footy was boring we kids would have fun sliding down the back of the hill on a cardboard box. Dad would always buy me peanuts from the peanut man "peanuts, peanuts, fresh peanuts". Anyone remember him?

2. Taking my kids to their first games at Brookie and continuing the family tradition and now as a family we all go to every home game. I know that the tradition will also continue on with the next generation. If the Penns don't **** the join up.

3. 40 0 ..... BEST DAY EVER!!! Still brings tingles to the spine thinking about it!!!

My dad took me to my first game against Penrith on a Saturday arvo game and Manly won 27-14 and I was hooked for life, we sat in the Jane Try stand and I was in love with what I saw.

memory is a bit blurred but off the top of my head..
Manly Parra at the SCG in '78 the famous 7 tackle try - couldn't remember how I was there mid week but looked it up and it was school holidays.
A brawl from kick off I think V Balmain late 70's - ne corner at Brooky
Running for that corner post with hundreds of other kids at fulltime

there's some great posts here and had forgot completely about the Boomerang man

Last edited:
One of my favourite moments was a game...I dont recall against who...at Brookie Oval. A group of us were always sitting about level with the try line or 20 metres line on the North Eastern hill.

This particular game was being refereed by 'Hollywood' Hartley and we were giving him hell. One of our group even shouted out 'Look at me when I'm talking to you' as part of the fun. At that point Hartley was near us facing the grandstand and the cameras. His right arm suddenly rose up his back with his thumb pointing skywards in an 'up yours' response. We all clapped, laughed and shouted out a well done response. They were fun days

memory is a bit blurred but off the top of my head..
Manly Parra at the SCG in '78 the famous 7 tackle try - couldn't remember how I was there mid week but looked it up and it was school holidays.
A brawl from kick off I think V Balmain late 70's - ne corner at Brooky
Running for that corner post with hundreds of other kids at fulltime

there's some great posts here and had forgot completely about the Boomerang man
That semi final replay was a Wednesday afternoon during the school holidays, you had a transport strike on and over 42K fans showed up to the SCG to watch the replay. for the first hour of this game we were right behind the 8 ball, trailed 11-2 and the whingers were the better team. Then John Gray got sent off and we had to dig deep and swept home because Manly got 2 results from bombs and another from a run away frogs eyes Gartner. Great memory and the sheridan stand was awesome that day!

"That time we played Canberra down there, with our season on the line, the refs absolutely killed us, Jake got knocked out, Willie was suspended and we blew a 16-0 lead: but came home with two late tries to Killer and Snake to scrape home. The win kept our finals hopes alive and we went on to win an incredible, against ALL the odds premiership"..

"That time we played Canberra down there, with our season on the line, the refs absolutely killed us, Jake got knocked out, Willie was suspended and we blew a 16-0 lead: but came home with two late tries to Killer and Snake to scrape home. The win kept our finals hopes alive and we went on to win an incredible, against ALL the odds premiership"..

You wrote this in 2016 didnt you Komori. Thought so. Good memory.

yep Sheridanstand.. surreal that day.

there's so many games where Manly has gone down in folklore. First memory was '73 Grand Final though great memories of Brookvale. If they want people to stick with the game the suburban ground has to stay over the sanitised sh*te of the stadiums.

Last edited:
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ?
Post Peanuts Migratory Bowel Syndrome actually. You get to experience the joy of hooking your fingers under the lip of the toilet bowl to keep your bum from launching you into space, whilst holding a bucket to cater for the other end's misdemeanors ;)

bit of a down memory lane, but why not...When it's full, the sight of Brookvale Oval (the Hill) looking down from Beacon Hill Road.. and the sound when Manly score coming up said hill... still see it but always made me feel good.
watching Randall in the 70's - he was the boss.
Laurie Nichols shadow boxing when Balmain came to play... not strictly Manly but characters like him added to the whole thing.

1976 to deny Parra scum a maiden premiership was even more satisfying over the subsequent years.
2008 40-nil and THAT Beaver moment.
2013 prelim final although I wasn't there to comeback and tip the vermin out was priceless.
I was at Brookie early 1977 for the Wills Cup (I think that was the name of it) Manly v Parra and just as in the grand final Parra made a break and the ball was passed out to Neville Glover and once again he dropped it, the whole crowd went off, I screamed myself hoarse, fantastic times.

I was at Brookie early 1977 for the Wills Cup (I think that was the name of it) Manly v Parra and just as in the grand final Parra made a break and the ball was passed out to Neville Glover and once again he dropped it, the whole crowd went off, I screamed myself hoarse, fantastic times.
Yeah I remember that game too. Another priceless moment of Parra failures

Yeah I rate Neville Glover as our most valuable player ever. In fact the standing joke in my family is we think we should have a statue at the entrance of Brookie Oval of him.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6