My favourite Manly supporter moments.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
Over the last 45 years I have loved this club and I want to start a chat about the top Manly supporter moments that we love.

The 1978 grand final winning team will always be the team I love the most. What that team had to endure to win the premiership against all the odds stands out as a side of great courage and skill and for an 11 year old boy like me to witness this season was what sealed my love for this club forever.

March 1988 - Parramatta stadium or as Rex called it Parramatta park. To be able to witness the annihilation of our dreaded enemy on their own patch 64-12 and to see the bulk of the fans scarper with 15 minutes to go ranks as one of the most satisfying days as only a few years earlier we lost two grand finals in a row, that win didn't make up for that hurt but it sure as hell put the Whinging worms in their places.

July 1994 - Hammering the Dragon 61-0. I would say that this was just about the perfect performance and everything clicked on this day and remember the Dragons were grand finalists the previous 2 years and it was a traditional game on a Sunday afternoon at Brooky made it oh so special.

June 1995 - The day the News filth Donkeys rode in to town. This was a red letter day for our club. It was the opening of the Ken Arthurson Stand and it was held shortly after the super league war erupted, The Drongos were the poster boy of News and Super league and I remember clearly on this day the Brookvale crowd being as intimidating as it was as the Drongos quickly realised they were on hostile turf and Manly bashed the 23-4

October 2008 - The finals series had gone like a dream. Smashed the Dragons and Warriors on path to the Grand final and face an adversary that at the time we did not know had systematically cheated their way to success and the previous year hammered us in more ways than one by getting rid of our best player with a questionable tackle and then the hammering that followed was hard to take. Well in 2008 it was a cagey and mostly tight first half and you sensed that the first scorer in the 2nd half was going to be decisive, It was a little bit more than that, the team devastated the team that had cheated everyone 40-0 and that is something for the club that only a few years earlier was on its knees.

The Holden cup win in 2017 - What a special memory that day was and in light of the tragic passing away of Keith Titmuss will stay in all our hearts, behind 14-0 in no time and working their way back into the match to get level, fall behind again until the magical pass from Fainu puts young Keith into a gap and he dives for the line and gets it down! What a moment and to steal the game from the Whingers made it all the more sweeter.

I am sure many of you out there have priceless memories from these games and others. Please feel free to share your experiences as its great to chat about the great things that happen when watching out wonderful club!

Last edited:
Over the last 45 years I have loved this club and I want to start a chat about the top Manly supporter moments that we love.

The 1978 grand final winning team will always be the team I love the most. What that team had to endure to win the premiership against all the odds stands out as a side of great courage and skill and for an 11 year old boy like me to witness this season was what sealed my love for this club forever.

March 1988 - Parramatta stadium or as Rex called it Parramatta park. To be able to witness the annihilation of our dreaded enemy on their own patch 64-12 and to see the bulk of the fans scarper with 15 minutes to go ranks as one of the most satisfying days as only a few years earlier we lost two grand finals in a row, that win didnt make up for that hurt but it sure as hell put the Whinging worms in their places.

July 1994 - Hammering the Dragon 61-0. I would say that this was just about the perfect performance and everything clicked on this day and remember the Dragons were grand finalists the previous 2 years and it was a traditional game on a Sunday afternoon at Brooky made it oh so special.

June 1995 - The day the News filth Donkeys rode in to town. This was a red letter day for our club. It was the opening of the Ken Arthurson Stand and it was held shortly after the super league war erupted, The Drongos were the poster boy of News and Super league and I remember clearly on this day the Brookvale crowd being as intimidating as it was as the Drongos quickly realised they were on hostile turf and Manly bashed the 23-4

October 2008 - The finals series had gone like a dream. Smashed the Dragons and Warriors on path to the Grand final and face an adversary that at the time we did not know had systematically cheated their way to success and the previous year hammered us in more ways than one by getting rid of our best player with a questionable tackle and then the hammering that followed was hard to take. Well in 2008 it was a cagey and mostly tight first half and you sensed that the first scorer in the 2nd half was going to be decisive, It was a little bit more than that, the team devastated the team that had cheated everyone 40-0 and that is something for the club that only a few years earlier was on its knees.

The Holden cup win in 2017 - What a special memory that day was and in light of the tragic passing away of Keith Titmuss will stay in all our halves, behind 14-0 in no time and working their way back into the match to get level, fall behind again until the magical pass from Fainu puts young Keith into a gap and he dives for the line and gets it down! What a moment and to steal the game from the Whingers made it all the more sweeter.

I am sure many of you out there have priceless memories from these games and others. Please feel free to share your experiences as its great to chat about the great things that happen when watching out wonderful club!

One of my favourite wins outside of finals matches would have to be against the Panthers in 2005 at Brookie.

Down 26-6, we came storming home to win 36-26. That win has stayed etched in my memories for years, especially BK hitting it right up the guts, breaking the line and passing to Snake to score under the posts.

Cheering from the hill at the SCG when we won our first Premiership in 1972.

Taking my son and 2 of his mates to watch their first game live at Brookie .. All 3 remain passionate Manly fans to this day ...

Many, many more over the years ... it has been a fantastic journey ...

But pure gold was the 40-0 ... with Beaver scoring ... fairy tale stuff ...

Last edited:

March 1988 - Parramatta stadium or as Rex called it Parramatta park. To be able to witness the annihilation of our dreaded enemy on their own patch 64-12 and to see the bulk of the fans scarper with 15 minutes to go ranks as one of the most satisfying days as only a few years earlier we lost two grand finals in a row, that win didnt make up for that hurt but it sure as hell put the Whinging worms in their places.

The Holden cup win in 2017 - What a special memory that day was and in light of the tragic passing away of Keith Titmuss will stay in all our halves, behind 14-0 in no time and working their way back into the match to get level, fall behind again until the magical pass from Fainu puts young Keith into a gap and he dives for the line and gets it down! What a moment and to steal the game from the Whingers made it all the more sweeter.

Hard to top those memories.

There was a game vs Canberra in 1982 that captivated me, pure manly, both Blakes on fire:

13 tries but they were only worth 3 points in 1982. So a 74-24 win in today’s money.

1. 2008 - 40-0 GF, taking into account opposition and circumstances, is one of the greatest performances of all time. Whole finals series was so dominant, example of momentum at its finest

2. 2013 - 30-20 SF v Souths, after being down 18-0 at one point I believe? And backing up from the brutal QF 0-4 loss to Rorters and close 24-18 win over Sharks - whereas the rabbits were coming from a week off. So proud of them that game.

3. 2007 season in general - so soon after the Northern Eagles debacle, was such an encouraging year. Even though the GF was a bit one-sided, we all know what happened the following year

4. 2011 - 42-8 QF v Cowboys, after being down 8-0 at half time if I recall. The tries were just so entertaining and Manly had a gear the Cowboys just lacked. Stamped them as a major contender in a year we were predicted to struggle in.

5. 2013 - 0-4 QF v Rorters, in what ended up being the GF a couple of weeks later, was one of the toughest/fastest games I ever watched. Even though we lost this one, neither team deserved to lose that night.

Extra - Rd.2 2011 v Rorters
Emergence of Foran in this game, huge win away from home against the early season favourites that season the Rorters - who were expected to win handsomely against a depleted and young Manly side. Set the tone for a season we went on to premiership honours for. Birth of the 'flying under the radar' phrase imo

After the end of the 1990s and then Nthn Eagles, it seemed Manly were DEAD. Then even when we came back it wasn't much to hope.

For mine then THE BIG GAME moment I remember was the Brookie arvo game in mid 2004 when rookie Brett Stewart scored 3 tries and Manly nearly knocked off the Sharks. The 30-28 loss with a missed conversion on the bell.

It was Snake's third game at fullback & Hasler's first year as coach. But I (and everyone else probably!) left Brookie that day knowing with this kid on board under Hasler MANLY WERE BACK BABY!! and success was coming.

In 2005 we made the finals and never missed them again for a decade.

I book end that one with the game 7 days before it. A big hard fought win to beat the Raiders at Bruce Stadium. Cliffy stole it with an intercept near the end. I was lucky I went to both games which had 25K full houses.

The 1976 GF.....I remember watching it at a friends place. I was 12. I grew up in Merrylands and was the only Manly supporter in a sea of Eels fans. Watching Neville Glover drop the ball with line wide open. I knew then we would get there. I gave it to everyone at school on Monday. It was priceless.

I remember standing in the old rickety stand at Cumberland Oval. It was 1977. Late in the second half it was 11 - 11. Parramatta had a dropout from between the posts. The ball sailed towards the sideline. Rod Jackson was about to catch the ball before he was dragged out of the way, letting the ball sail out on the full. Penalty right in front. Eadie kicks it. Manly win 13 - 11. Pile more crap on all the Eels fans at school on Monday.

The 1978 final series. No explanation necessary.

64 - 12 against the Worms in 1988.

40 - 0. Maybe the absolute highlight.

2013 Semi Final comeback against Souths. I remember the next day as all the Souths fans tried to sell their GF tickets. Gold.

The 54 - 0 at Brookie against the Worms in 40 degree heat.

I could go on...and on. We've suffered at times. Especially this year. But in the balance...there've been many more good times than bad.

One of my favourite wins outside of finals matches would have to be against the Panthers in 2005 at Brookie.

Down 26-6, we came storming home to win 36-26. That win has stayed etched in my memories for years, especially BK hitting it right up the guts, breaking the line and passing to Snake to score under the posts.
I like the 2014 comeback against panthers at brookie as well

All the little, and not so little, things that made me proud to be a Sea Eagle supporter. Choc dishing out food to street kids in the middle of the night and refusing to speak about it when a newspaper tracked him down. Choc (again) standing over an unconscious Skivvy and protecting him from the thugs that attacked him in the street. Monas being called into hospital to comfort a sick child a few nights before the 2007 GF. The Trnojevic boys putting their superstar status to one side and pitching in with the juniors.

When you look back through the grand final winners over the past 20 years most were cheats or were given massive assistance by the NRL. The Sea Eagles have always triumphed by skill and hard work. Manly have only been beaten in a decider by skulduggery. The Sea Eagles are always fighting against the odds and it’s truly Australian to cheer for the underdog. Our victories are sweeter because they are earned.

I’m not going to list specific games but certainly my favourite moments were creating ( with @vidmar ) the MWTS group , which started with small beginnings in 2005 but was in full swing by the 2007 GF. With almost 3000 fans in the group we travelled to all the away games outside of Sydney and did two World Club Challenge tours in 2009 and 2012. My final tour with that group was to Auckland in June 2013 but I also organised a huge Grand Final 2013 event with over 300 buying a package of pre entertainment, transfers and seating through me ,sadly there was no “ after party” for obvious reasons.

We got to see some truly remarkable games in that time, last minute victories , come backs , 4 Grand Finals , the “ Hand of Foran” , so many fabulous experiences.

But most of all I got to meet literally thousands of fans during that time , many I’m still friends with today and some still on here.

I was just sad there was no one to step up and take it over but you needed to be a travel agent to do what I did and there just wasn’t anyone who would put their heart and soul into it like I did ( and that’s not meant to be pissing in my own pocket).

We had a number of marriages ( seriously ) , some I actually attended , and the real core group still do their own thing and get together for games home and away.

They were wonderful times and it was one of my great pleasures in life to have done it!!

Last edited:
Brookvale Oval (not Lottoland!) 2008, a home semi-final. We had high hopes but were up against our bogey side St Merge who had a pretty strong side. I was there with about 20,000 others, including a group of about 10 family & friends. We were in the Fulton Menzies stand and Beaver brought the house down by crawling and scrambling and headbutting the ball before scoring right in front of us. The rest of the game was a joyous affair as Manly went on to a 38-6 belting. And we all know how that season ended!

A couple of others, just can't recall which year, I was living in Newcastle and went along to their flash new stadium with my cousin who was visiting. On the second tackle after kickoff Jamie Lyon was away and put Wolfman on a long run down the touchline, I forget which one of them scored the try but from then on it was a Manly romp and all the Knights fans there with their new stadium and their high hopes were quiet as mice!

Another favourite game also from my time living in Newcastle, a bunch of us had to spend the weekend in Sydney at a conference, and I found out that on the Sunday on the way home a few were going to stop in for Manly v Knights at Brookie. They had pre-booked seats in Jane Try but I decided late to go along too and stood opposite them on the hill. Choc Watmough scored a brilliant 40 or 50m try and the whole match was hilarious, waving and sending texts to my workmates who were increasingly glum as Manly belted the bloody Knights 30-0. :)

Way, waaay too many to recall... first home game was in about 1980 for me. Saw Crusher at his peak, Thought Cliffy was a genius, saw Darrel Williams crunching people in defence, caught Dessy’s first game for Manly, saw Tooves make his debut, high fived Mick O’Connor as he did his final lap of honour, saw Snake’s first ever game, saw Gifty’s first ever game...was selling Beaver’s biography at the ground when he played his final game at Brooky...

But I was at a game last season, where that great manly man Jason King was also in attendance...and at the end of the game when everyone ran onto the field, i turned around and saw him, just... staring... staring into middle distance at the stands, the ground, the fans, the kids on the field... you could see it...absolutely FEEL it... he was reliving the glory, the moments, the whole thing. He just stared and absorbed it all, and it took me back to my childhood and all the great moments my team has provided. Simple, poignant moment that sums it up for me.

March 1988 - Parramatta stadium or as Rex called it Parramatta park. To be able to witness the annihilation of our dreaded enemy on their own patch 64-12 and to see the bulk of the fans scarper with 15 minutes to go ranks as one of the most satisfying days as only a few years earlier we lost two grand finals in a row, that win didn't make up for that hurt but it sure as hell put the Whinging worms in their places.

The Holden cup win in 2017 - What a special memory that day was and in light of the tragic passing away of Keith Titmuss will stay in all our hearts, behind 14-0 in no time and working their way back into the match to get level, fall behind again until the magical pass from Fainu puts young Keith into a gap and he dives for the line and gets it down! What a moment and to steal the game from the Whingers made it all the more sweeter.

I’ve got chills just reading that. Great post.

Oh, that was a special game that one. Especially when we were accompanied by Panthers relatives. My niece reckons if I bring that game up one more time, she’s going to get her gun license @:worried:.....thing is I have given them so much shiit over the years, I wouldn't put it past her!.:eek:

Every off season I bring this game up, but as s Cronulla jnr who supported Manly - it stood out....
It was a final vs a star studded Canberra missing many players in the 90's.
Lost the game, but Cliff Lyons was outstanding as was kevin Iro (for once living up to the hype)
Back and forth under the NZ coach Graham Lowe and disappointing to lose, ut went down swinging....obviously 2008 was a ridiculous performance unlikely to be matched again

Yep
The entire 1978 finals run
Did not miss a game

A kid out alone for the first time with a mate from the gong
Front row of the first level of the Sheridan stand with 600 manly supporters behind us chanting
Glancing to the right and watching the old score board put up the tries and scores
Waving our flags
Loosing our voice

irreplaceable memories that will never leave me

still think the highlights could be used today with our team to show what playing for manly meant

Taking my young bloke along to Brookie on Fathers Day. He won a Maxum divers watch when they kicked balls into the crowd at half time. He leapt high into the air above the crowd (he was only about 3' 6" at the time) and caught the ball with arms outstretched high above his head, didn't even look like dropping it. Future Manly fullback I thought. He was less impressed and asked if he could swap the watch for a pie. He got the pie and I've still got the watch....he got to meet Steve Matai later on which was a much bigger deal for him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6