Muhahahaha! Bears to miss out........ again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They shouldn't even be in the discussion, someone needs to put them out of their misery for good.

The Central Coast doesn't need an NRL team & the game doesn't need the Bears. Good riddance.

Wolfpack said:
They shouldn't even be in the discussion, someone needs to put them out of their misery for good.

The Central Coast doesn't need an NRL team & the game doesn't need the Bears. Good riddance.

I agree, but what they need to say is "don't bother, you'll only enter the competition if one of the Sydney teams folds". Pretty simple really.

Jono said:
Wolfpack said:

I agree, but what they need to say is "don't bother, you'll only enter the competition if one of the Sydney teams folds". Pretty simple really.

No I stand by what I said before, there is no place for the Central Coast or the Bears in firstgrade. Who would you take away? Penrith, Sharks? Both the greater west & the Shire are far more deserving of a team than the Central Coast.

There are enough teams in NSW now, keep them as is & start branching out.

The CRL are supposedly meeting with the Knights and Wyong 'Roos about the future of the Centurions. If the Centurions are kept it'll be another nail in the coffin

Jono said:
Wolfpack said:

This. The Central Coast should have taken the opportunity when the Raiders were umming and arhhhinng in the early 80's

DSM5 said:
On what I'm watching now the Rooters should dissolve and fold. They are truly hopeless.

I agree with this. They have no Juniors and they and Politis are just leeching off the rest of the competition. They aren't doing anything for Juniors growth, they aren't bringing in the Eastern Suburbs support that currently feeds their money into AFL and the Rugby Union.

Then, they go and buy players from other teams, dirty up the South Sydney Juniors, use an Inner West team as their Reserves Grade, get all the good TV time because of Politis, and they also get a say on the NRL board because of the above mentioned name. They are a disgrace and should have merged with Souths back in 1999. By now Souths would have taken over the franchise like we did.

F**k history!! Drop the Roosters for the Central Coast Centurions, not the Bears. The Bears are just as bad wanting the best of both worlds and leeching off the Central Coast. At least the Centurions are a Central Coast created and sponsored team who want nothing to do with North Sydney

I think the central coast does deserve a team but not a relocated sydney team or a rebirthed north sydney bears. Its a massive area with a huge rugby league following. You'd get 15,000 through the gate every home game easy.
HOWEVER, deserving a team isn't whats important. NSW is already at it's limit for sustainability funding wise. Theres no way a CC team could stay alive. So really it's a no brainer to go for Perth and another QLD based team.

Even if the coast had of taken the opportunity in the 80's they'd be dead and buried by now. There's no way it could have raised the dollars needed to keep a super league era team running and would have been one of the teams scratched when the NRL formed.

I put this in another thread-how much longer can the "supposed" CC Bears keep up the "sponsor and member" game?Surely,if the expansion is put back any further,sponsors and members aren't going to ante up their hard earned,for a team,and merchandise, for something that may never eventuate!

ayjay007 said:
I put this in another thread-how much longer can the "supposed" CC Bears keep up the "sponsor and member" game?Surely,if the expansion is put back any further,sponsors and members aren't going to ante up their hard earned,for a team,and merchandise, for something that may never eventuate!

They mentioned this in the Sunday Telegraph. It would cost them something like 15 - 20 million just to keep the bid afloat. Serves them right for having hired all the necessary staff before actually getting the go ahead.

The economics are simple -

A team in QLD and in WA add to the viewership of the game and can be sold to the TV networks as a positive and increase the price of the TV deal. On the other hand a team on the CC will only dilute the current sponsorship pool for NSW teams, that and the area already has a very high rate of foxsports viewership.

The CC bears will be a drain and the WA/QLD bids will be a net positive, so I think that the argument is fairly much over.

Central Coast's bid got a nail in its coffin when Tinkler bought the Knights and pledged money to jnr development in the Hunter region and Central Coast. I heard their major sponsor pulled out on them too, but not sure if that was just rumour or it happened.
The NSW market is overcrowded anyway.
I grew up a Bears fan but I have to say I am over the current bid team and their constant whinging. They act as is they have some holy right to the next team, when really their bid doesn't offer as much as others. Even if they did get a team by some miracle I don't think I could support them anymore. I moved on and Manly is my team.

Captain of the Gate said:
Central Coast's bid got a nail in its coffin when Tinkler bought the Knights and pledged money to jnr development in the Hunter region and Central Coast. I heard their major sponsor pulled out on them too, but not sure if that was just rumour or it happened.
The NSW market is overcrowded anyway.
I grew up a Bears fan but I have to say I am over the current bid team and their constant whinging. They act as is they have some holy right to the next team, when really their bid doesn't offer as much as others. Even if they did get a team by some miracle I don't think I could support them anymore. I moved on and Manly is my team.

That has always been the attitude of that bid since the Bears side of the merger crumbled. They have always had a chip on their shoulder when they should be grateful they don't still have a massive debt they have to pay off.

I'm glad their bid will fail and it started to fail when they said they wanted the North Shore juniors. We knew they wanted this but the NRL didn't know until the Bears mentioned it.

If you want the CC (and the NRL) to support the Bears you have to cut all ties with the North Shore. That includes getting rid of the has-beens from the bid: Florimo and Fairleigh (I think he's the chosen coach?). Then you rename it the Centurions and the bid will get new life and I'd probably support their bid as team number 19. Only one person has the money to do this: Singo.

They don't deserve to be 17 or 18 as both of these have to be teams that give everyone a net positive gain (Perth and another new area). 19 and 20 will be teams that solidify juniors areas and at the same time will compliment the current competition (Central Coast and Brisbane 2)

Pablo said:
I think the central coast does deserve a team but not a relocated sydney team or a rebirthed north sydney bears. Its a massive area with a huge rugby league following. You'd get 15,000 through the gate every home game easy.
HOWEVER, deserving a team isn't whats important. NSW is already at it's limit for sustainability funding wise. Theres no way a CC team could stay alive. So really it's a no brainer to go for Perth and another QLD based team.

Even if the coast had of taken the opportunity in the 80's they'd be dead and buried by now. There's no way it could have raised the dollars needed to keep a super league era team running and would have been one of the teams scratched when the NRL formed.

Double that 15,000 capacity. Most coasties have two heads atop their very red necks.

LOL at Mortgage House pulling out. Seem to recall some numpties on here using this as a prime example of Lowey's incompetence in finding us a sponsor. "the Bears have a sponsor and they aren't even in the league, yet Lowey can't find us one.....blah blah blah". Their sponsorship deal doesn't seem so flash now, Mortagage House got all the free publicity of announcing a sponsorship deal without ever writing a cheque. Sensational work by the Bears, and they don't even have a taxi driver running the show.

Chip and Chase said:
LOL at Mortgage House pulling out. Seem to recall some numpties on here using this as a prime example of Lowey's incompetence in finding us a sponsor. "the Bears have a sponsor and they aren't even in the league, yet Lowey can't find us one.....blah blah blah". Their sponsorship deal doesn't seem so flash now, Mortagage House got all the free publicity of announcing a sponsorship deal without ever writing a cheque. Sensational work by the Bears, and they don't even have a taxi driver running the show.

Mortgage House gave them money already. The big was kept alive for the half million (plus?) they put into the CC Bears but since the bid looks likely to fail they decided not to sign up as sponsor again unless they get the nod from the NRL as an active team with a liscene.

Someone mentioned Centurions? There is a vocal local movement in the Central Coast who want a team, but not the Bears. They aren't the Centurions like the NSW cup team though. They call their team the Central Coast Breakers, their colours being aqua blue and white with a crashing wave as their logo.

Mortgage house as I understand it only gave token amounts to date. Zorba said something in 2001 about the lack of local sponsorship availAble up there. This could ultimately be the killer for the bears, because at the end of the day having lots of little local sponsors really helps. Check out the number of minor sponsors manly has, almost every brookie panelbeater, car yard etc offers support in some form. Teams can't do without it.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4