[moved] Religion comes first for Folau

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
MELBOURNE sensation Israel Folau is poised to walk away from his burgeoning rugby league career to pursue a two-year long Mormon mission overseas.

Arguably the hottest prospect unearthed this season, the deeply religious 18-year-old has told The Daily Telegraph he could temporarily quit the game in just over 12 months.

"You've got be 18 or 19 to do the mission, so I guess it's something I'm thinking about along with my football career," Folau said.

"I've still got to make a decision about it for next year. It's possible I could do it next year."

Having burst on to the scene with 20 tries in his debut season, Folau is a hot tip to be crowned Rookie of the Year at next Tuesday nights Dally M Awards.

Carried out on thunderous thighs, his feats have prompted comparison with the great Mal Meninga.

But when it comes to fulfilling one of his religion's most fundamental requirements, the rampaging three-quarter isn't fazed by the stardom that awaits.

Should Folau decide to spread the message of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from next year, it is likely his mission will start after the season because he is contracted with the Storm until 2008.

"It's not something we have to do - it's up to the individual whether they go," Folau explained.

"Some of my brothers have done it, so there is a bit of pressure to go. My mum reckons I should go.

"I'll have to spend two years promoting the Mormon religion in another country or around Australia.

"It's something I've always planned to do, but now football has come along. At the end of the day it's entirely my decision whether I go or not."

Melbourne recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan - who scouted Folau in Brisbane three years ago - confirmed the mission could be imminent.

"It might happen next year - that is a possibility," O'Sullivan said.

Folau's best mate is Parramatta's Krisnan Inu - a fellow rookie star and Mormon.

The pair attended the same church in Sydney's south-west as children and, like Folau, Inu is also giving serious thought to suspending his career to complete the mission.

Folau said the pair had "not talked much" about undertaking the trip together.

It is understood Inu was intent on leaving before the current season and had to be convinced by Eels officials to stay.

Storm CEO Brian Waldron is similarly keen to retain Folau beyond next season.

"I think Israel is incredibly important, not only to Melbourne, but also rugby league," Waldron said.

"To grow the profile of the game we need heroes and there's no doubt Israel is developing a cult following on the back of what he has achieved this year."

If the Mormons had any savvy they'd realise he was far more effective as a "missionary" continuing to do what he's doing rather than becoming an absolute pain in the arse door-knocking in a country where noone has heard of him.

Think of the advertising that the morman religion has already received through these two.

Hoppa's younger brother who was said to be the next big thing, is also on a two year 'Missionary' service with the Mormons. I admire their zealousness but to waste this time on that cause is a real tragedy. Biggest con of a religion ever (in the same boat as Jehovah's Witnesses.) They are sincere but sincerely deluded.

I can recommend watching the South Park episode on Mormonism. Tears it to shreds. They do it so well because I think at least one of the writers was raised as a Mormon.

Hoppa's younger brother who was said to be the next big thing, is also on a two year 'Missionary' service with the Mormons. I admire their zealousness but to waste this time on that cause is a real tragedy. Biggest con of a religion ever (in the same boat as Jehovah's Witnesses.) They are sincere but sincerely deluded.

How can you say that? Hasn't Dan convinced you of the futility of gods yet?

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

How can you say that? Hasn't Dan convinced you of the futility of gods yet?

[/quote]

Welcome aboard Mata. ;)

Oh.....My......Goodness. CW, how narrow minded is that call mate?
Who's to say the way YOU practice religion is right, and their's is wrong?
But I guess if your church allows you to criticise and degrade another offshoot, that in the end prays and worships the exact same God, then more power to you, and your church.

I'm not questionning his theories or hypothesis, but doesn't Mata have a variant in the way he accepts religion. Do you have the nouse to tell him he's wrong to his face?

Ryan, read more than one thread before you go off half-cocked at me. Mormonism is not an off-shoot of Christianity, despite what the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints try to tell you. The basic suppositions of the Mormons and mainstream Christianity are totally opposite. They are based on a discovery by a fraudster of special glasses which enabled him to translate special tablets no one ever saw. Call it narrow minded if you like.

Prove it.

Ryan, read more than one thread before you go off half-cocked at me. Mormonism is not an off-shoot of Christianity, despite what the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints try to tell you. The basic suppositions of the Mormons and mainstream Christianity are totally opposite. They are based on a discovery by a fraudster of special glasses which enabled him to translate special tablets no one ever saw. Call it narrow minded if you like.

BULLCRAP !!!

Mormonism is an ancient religion that was restored in the early 1800s. Mormonism is an unofficial name used to refer to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also called Mormon Church). Mormonism refers to the doctrines taught by Joseph Smith and the succeeding prophets and leaders of the Church, but those doctrines are believed to be eternal and part of the original gospel preached by Jesus Christ.

Mormonism is defined as a branch of Christianity, encompassing numerous religious denominations, but Mormonism is generally associated with the theology and subculture of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most people who are members of the Mormon Church prefer to be called Latter-Day Saints instead of mormons. Other generally acceptable terms are LDS, Saints, and Mormons. Also, a few people view the terms Mormon and Mormonism as offensive.

The term "Mormon" derives from The Book of Mormon, that was published in 1830 and that more recently was subtitled “Another Testament of Jesus Christ” to highlight the importance of the information about the Savior that is contained in the book. The Book of Mormon is accepted by the Mormon Church (LDS) as scripture along with the Bible.
Mormonism also refers to the doctrine taught by Joseph Smith and the succeeding prophets and leaders of the Mormon Church. It views human life as one of the stages in the eternal progression of intelligent beings who are God's spirit children. Men and women are allowed to choose whether to accept or reject Christ's gospel, teachings, and covenants. Mormons believe that the Church's teachings as truly Christian and they were restored to earth in its original purity by Christ himself through Joseph Smith. For this reason they usually refer to the Church as the "Restored" Church.
Mormonism includes in its theology many doctrines that are shared by many other Christian churches in different degrees. Mormons believe in a personal God who is concerned with his children; Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and he came on the earth to preach the gospel, establish His Church, and perform the infinite Atonement. Men and women need to repent, be baptized by the proper authority, and continue to keep the commandments to be saved.
Continuing revelation is probably a distinctive characteristic of Mormonism and it’s another basic doctrine of the Mormon Church. The value of marriage and family is of the highest importance among Mormons and genealogical research is a distinctive mark of this religion.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Whatever way you try and put a spin on it, you critisised one of your own. Like it or not, each "faction" if you will (Catholic, Anglican, Mormon etc etc) are all just business out to earn a buck.

The basics are the same. Same God. And same Jesus Christ.

And Mata - The Jesus Christ the Mormon's worship is different to the Christ YOU worship. Rubbish !!! Same God !!!

There is no God, it's a figment of one's imagination, delusional stuff, hope, desperation, "what if this is all there is?" Better to believe in the Sea Eagle guys and dolls.

Ryan, I am not going to get into a slanging match on an issue that will bore most people to tears.

I stand by my thesis that there are many sincere Mormons who are willing to live by their faith. I will state very clearly that however the Mormons want to dress their faith it is so far removed from mainstream Christianity it isn't funny. Mormons do call themselves 'Christian' but the mainstream Christians reject this on the basis of doctrine theology and the main tenets of their faith.

I would stick to something that you know something about instead of trying to shoot me down. I have Google and Wikipedia on my computer too.

To say that all churches are out ot make a buck like businesses is a sad assumption as well!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4