MVP: Most Valuable player for [Round 4: Dragons v Sea Eagles 2015]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm struggling like a lot of others to find people to give points to. Just a really really disappointing game tonight.

The sad thing is that tonight should have been an easy win for us regardless where it was played. St Merge are a bottom 4 team at best.

All points to the mailman, because the players on the field all mailed their performances in.

+1

My Pick:
3. Hiku
2. Jake T
1. JSL

======================

Player comments:
1. Snake - Did some good reads in defence. Lacked opportunities in attack due to massive possession to Drags. Thanks, Refs.
2. Blair - Very good under the high ball. INEPT in reading defence. Gave away another try by coming in and not lining up against opposite. Unnecessary junior league stuff. If he fixes this part of the game, there may yet be hope. But when Gutho comes back, he should take Blair's spot.
3. Killer - Classy is a perfect appellation. He reads the game so well. Shame he went off again with a groin issue and left us with no kicker.
19. Wiliame - This kid has a future. Almost scored a second. Need a bit more experience but did very well when he was given the chances. When both Killer and Matai are back, put him in Blair's spot, provided he can catch bombs.
5. Hiku - Killer's class must be rubbing off on Peta. If it wasn't for Hiku, we might have been much worse off. He's on the right, he's on the left, he dances, he's all over the park. Highly involved for a winger. Love his work. Pity he didn't get the try. Can someone get Halligan to teach Hiku or somebody to kick goals? We won't win a game without Killer.
6. Foran - One good grubber for a try. The rest of the game was okay. Some poor options, but energetic.
7. DCE - Someone stop him from taking shots at goal, please. One good 40/20, but poor options on the 5th for most of the game. Laying on tackled players like a fat prop and giving away penalties??? C'mon. Seriously, there was no heart. Can't we trade him for Elgey .........now?
8. Burgess - Good game and glad he came to Manly. Busy in defence and helped straighten up the play for us. Did give away a penalty? Also towards the end, a ball was thrown awkwardly to him and he couldn't catch it. Not his fault.
Ballin - Always consistently good. Mr dependable.
10. Mason - Okay game. Nothing outstanding.
11. Mateo - What happened here??? Different player today. Tell me if I'm wrong but Mateo is not a forward. When he played 5/8, he had time to think (best as 2nd receiver). Today, when he's closer to the line, he hadn't time to think and was speculating all game. How many errors did he make? Gave away possession multiple times with miracle passes that wasn't on. Left the field with a leg injury.
12. Buhrer - Like to see him succeed as he grew up supporting Manly and he works hard on the park. However, he hasn't been a game changer, has he? He passes the ball too early and he doesn't have the vision or smarts of Gifty. Shame. Hope he can learn to spark our attack soon.
13. Nami - Good workhorse. He may be under scrutiny for a lifting tackle (nothing serious), and an arm-off-the-ball-to-the-chin thing (nothing serious again).

INTERCHANGE:
14. JSL - Love this guy. He really goes like a rocket. He punches the line hard and runs into gaps and work tirelessly in defence like there's no tomorrow.
15. Jake T - Hard working forward. This kid has the goods and promise. He had a dropsy and you could see the pain in his face. He carries pride in the jersey. I wish every player feels the same passion that Jake has for Manly.
16. Symonds - Pity he wasn't on the field more. Tommy was a utility today just in case Killer can't finish the game. We played like park footy players and need some steadfastness that Tommy could have provided more of.
22. Starlo - Bad discipline with a push that cost us another penalty. Did well in his return but looks like he'll now be off again with another medial/knee issue?

==
Referees - They gave the Drags numerous early penalties to soften us up. It worked with the great amount of possession. I have always said, for Manly to win, we have to beat the refs and the opposition.

What did we learn from this game?
1. Blair tries hard but someone ought to teach him how to line up against his opposite. We can't have him give away tries every week.

2. If we don't fix these issues, we're in serious trouble. 1 out of 4 is almost panic stations. We should have won the last two games.

3. We need a goalkicker. Someone hire Halligan quick and teach anyone who's willing. Teach a few. We need backups.

4. Saints is a bottom 8 team and we made them look like a top 4 team.

5. I was so looking forward to this season until Foz and Chezza ruined it. For us to say that this has no impact because they are professionals are kidding ourselves. That's like saying last year's contract negotiations did not have an impact too. This has gone on way too long. Time to swap at least one of them. I nominate Elgey swap with DCE. We need fresh minds.

6. Poor Tooves, Johns, Georgallis and Penna. They don't deserve what "some" players are doing to them. I can see some structure there but no amount of coaching can determine what our halves were doing, or not doing. Very poor options. Lacking creativity. Mateo may be trying hard for us but you can't win without the football. Someone needs to tell him to stop the miracle passes.

7. Bring back Sao. We need ticker and minimal errors. I say if we have him out there instead of Mateo, it might have been a slightly different result.

8. We also missed Skivvy. He keeps the opposition on the backfoot with his style of running. Hope he'll recover soon.

9. If the halves are lacking spark, maybe we should replace one of them with Hodges, or a spot on the bench.

How to fix?
1. Back to basics. No ill discipline, No laying on opp. players, No miracle passes that won't stick, Play out our sets, and Defend against your opposite in the line. :banghead: :( :mad:

2. We need Elgey now!

3. Sao must be back to first grade.

4. Get Halligan NOW to train a couple of players to kick goals.

-

Last edited:
My Pick:
3. Hiku
2. Jake T
1. JSL

======================

Player comments:
1. Snake - Did some good reads in defence. Lacked opportunities in attack due to massive possession to Drags. Thanks, Refs.
2. Blair - Very good under the high ball. INEPT in reading defence. Gave away another try by coming in and not lining up against opposite. Unnecessary junior league stuff. If he fixes this part of the game, there may yet be hope. But when Gutho comes back, he should take Blair's spot.
3. Killer - Classy is a perfect appellation. He reads the game so well. Shame he went off again with a groin issue and left us with no kicker.
19. Wiliame - This kid has a future. Almost scored a second. Need a bit more experience but did very well when he was given the chances. When both Killer and Matai are back, put him in Blair's spot, provided he can catch bombs.
5. Hiku - Killer's class must be rubbing off on Peta. If it wasn't for Hiku, we might have been much worse off. He's on the right, he's on the left, he dances, he's all over the park. Highly involved for a winger. Love his work. Pity he didn't get the try. Can someone get Halligan to teach Hiku or somebody to kick goals? We won't win a game without Killer.
6. Foran - One good grubber for a try. The rest of the game was okay. Some poor options, but energetic.
7. DCE - Someone stop him from taking shots at goal, please. One good 40/20, but poor options on the 5th for most of the game. Laying on tackled players like a fat prop and giving away penalties??? C'mon. Seriously, there was no heart. Can't we trade him for Elgey .........now?
8. Burgess - Good game and glad he came to Manly. Busy in defence and helped straighten up the play for us. Did give away a penalty? Also towards the end, a ball was thrown awkwardly to him and he couldn't catch it. Not his fault.
Ballin - Always consistently good. Mr dependable.
10. Mason - Okay game. Nothing outstanding.
11. Mateo - What happened here??? Different player today. Tell me if I'm wrong but Mateo is not a forward. When he played 5/8, he had time to think (best as 2nd receiver). Today, when he's closer to the line, he hadn't time to think and was speculating all game. How many errors did he make? Gave away possession multiple times with miracle passes that wasn't on. Left the field with a leg injury.
12. Buhrer - Like to see him succeed as he grew up supporting Manly and he works hard on the park. However, he hasn't been a game changer, has he? He passes the ball too early and he doesn't have the vision or smarts of Gifty. Shame. Hope he can learn to spark our attack soon.
13. Nami - Good workhorse. He may be under scrutiny for a lifting tackle (nothing serious), and an arm-off-the-ball-to-the-chin thing (nothing serious again).

INTERCHANGE:
14. JSL - Love this guy. He really goes like a rocket. He punches the line hard and runs into gaps and work tirelessly in defence like there's no tomorrow.
15. Jake T - Hard working forward. This kid has the goods and promise. He had a dropsy and you could see the pain in his face. He carries pride in the jersey. I wish every player feels the same passion that Jake has for Manly.
16. Symonds - Pity he wasn't on the field more. Tommy was a utility today just in case Killer can't finish the game. We played like park footy players and need some steadfastness that Tommy could have provided more of.
22. Starlo - Bad discipline with a push that cost us another penalty. Did well in his return but looks like he'll now be off again with another medial/knee issue?

==
Referees - They gave the Drags numerous early penalties to soften us up. It worked with the great amount of possession. I have always said, for Manly to win, we have to beat the refs and the opposition.

What did we learn from this game?
1. Blair tries hard but someone ought to teach him how to line up against his opposite. We can't have him give away tries every week.

2. If we don't fix these issues, we're in serious trouble. 1 out of 4 is almost panic stations. We should have won the last two games.

3. We need a goalkicker. Someone hire Halligan quick and teach anyone who's willing. Teach a few. We need backups.

4. Saints is a bottom 8 team and we made them look like a top 4 team.

5. I was so looking forward to this season until Foz and Chezza ruined it. For us to say that this has no impact because they are professionals are kidding ourselves. That's like saying last year's contract negotiations did not have an impact too. This has gone on way too long. Time to swap at least one of them. I nominate Elgey swap with DCE. We need fresh minds.

6. Poor Tooves, Johns, Georgallis and Penna. They don't deserve what "some" players are doing to them. I can see some structure there but no amount of coaching can determine what our halves were doing, or not doing. Very poor options. Lacking creativity. Mateo may be trying hard for us but you can't win without the football. Someone needs to tell him to stop the miracle passes.

7. Bring back Sao. We need ticker and minimal errors. I say if we have him out there instead of Mateo, it might have been a slightly different result.

8. We also missed Skivvy. He keeps the opposition on the backfoot with his style of running. Hope he'll recover soon.

9. If the halves are lacking spark, maybe we should replace one of them with Hodges, or a spot on the bench.

How to fix?
1. Back to basics. No ill discipline, No laying on opp. players, No miracle passes that won't stick, Play out our sets, and Defend against your opposite in the line. :banghead: :( :mad:

2. We need Elgey now!

3. Sao must be back to first grade.

4. Get Halligan NOW to train a couple of players to kick goals.

-
Very nice analysis. I can see that you still believe in this team in 2015, like I do.
The halves were off mentally tonight, I agree.
With your advice above, and Matai back, we get the job done against Canberra.
One game at a time.
NYEagle

Ramrod, I agreed with most of what you said.....but I think you got Foran and Cherry-Evans mixed up. DCE is trying his heart out at the moment but its just not happening for him. I guess you could say he's trying too hard. Foran, to me at least, looked disinterested tonight, though at least he got through the game uninjured. Yes we scored off one of his kicks, but that was about all he did.

Since he plays like one anyway, I'd wouldn't mind seeing Foran at lock and Mateo at 5/8. Foran's role wouldn't change much, if at all, while it would give Mateo more time to think with the ball in his hands. And as we saw last week when that happens he can play very well. The way things are Tooves might not have much to lose doing that.

The only good thing about Star's injury is that it'll give the Biscuit another chance in first grade. I thought he was unlucky to be left out tonight.

Yes I agree we need a goal kicker. We need a player who can kick at 80-85% and leave Killer as the back up. In the past 10 years we could afford to have a 70% kicker with Killer and Matt Orford because more often than not we were good enough to not have to rely on goal kicking. But with this team we do need a top class kicker. DCE is a part-timer and back up at best, same with Skivy. Bringing in a kicking coach like Halligan would be a great idea. Right now I would say Manly is the worst goal kicking team in the NRL.

How on earth do we go from what we saw against the Dogs last week to what we saw against St Merge tonight? I know we lost both games but last week we really shouldn't have. Tonight it was like we were never in the game. And its not as if St Merge is a top 8 side, they'll be lucky to place higher than 12th at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Voting closed for Round 4.

3. Turbo
2. Snake
1. JSL

Overall, Snake is out in front from Mateo and Turbo sneaking into third.

Thanks for voting!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4