More rule changes forecast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I luv Des, but jeez going from a 10m rule to 12m? wtf? The game would open up more if they reduced the 10m, not increased it. It would force teams to stand deep and spread the ball away from the ruck. All the 12m would do is result in referees giving penalties for tired defenders unable to get back onside. And good luck EVER defending after an intercept. Even if you tackled the runner, you're team mates would have to run another 12m just to get onside for the next tackle.

Manly coach Des Hasler put forward a case for the attack and defence to be separated further than the current 10 metres. The two-time premiership-winning coach believes many of the game’s issues – including the constant wrestling that is a bugbear for fans – would be solved if the referees kept the defenders back about 12 or so metres.

Hasler has done his own research on the topic and told the group the measure would increase the amount of fatigue in the game without having to reduce the interchange.

It would be a huge change to a game that, as recently as Hasler’s own playing career, required the defence to retreat just five metres.

Also only half the coaches turned up.

I'm kinda on the fence for this one.

Just take some control and make decisions, don't worry about the coaches, or
Organise a meeting date when all coaches can turn up, or
Be more competent then you don't need to ask coaches their input about things you should be able to fix yourselves, or
Coaches may have some valid thoughts, but
coaches probably will just rule to suit their team at the moment.

Mr g 'splinters' e.

Be more competent then you don't need to ask coaches their input about things you should be able to fix yourselves, or
Coaches may have some valid thoughts, but
coaches probably will just rule to suit their team at the moment.

Akin to asking Bankers to fix the banking Industry ......

I am prepared to give Dessie the respect .. given his experience ... however, without a thorough explanation of his rational, all I can say is his proposal is counter intuitive ..... I would think 12m would simply mean Cam Smith would need to wrestle for an extra few seconds ....

And an increase in fatiqued players trying to get back an additional 6 feet .. will surely make the game a penalty -a thon .... just march up the field with your dummy half running into off side defenders ....

But, as I said ... would be interested in hearing his reasoning ....

I luv Des, but jeez going from a 10m rule to 12m? wtf? The game would open up more if they reduced the 10m, not increased it. It would force teams to stand deep and spread the ball away from the ruck. All the 12m would do is result in referees giving penalties for tired defenders unable to get back onside. And good luck EVER defending after an intercept. Even if you tackled the runner, you're team mates would have to run another 12m just to get onside for the next tackle.

Manly coach Des Hasler put forward a case for the attack and defence to be separated further than the current 10 metres. The two-time premiership-winning coach believes many of the game’s issues – including the constant wrestling that is a bugbear for fans – would be solved if the referees kept the defenders back about 12 or so metres.

Hasler has done his own research on the topic and told the group the measure would increase the amount of fatigue in the game without having to reduce the interchange.

It would be a huge change to a game that, as recently as Hasler’s own playing career, required the defence to retreat just five metres.
I dont think reducing the 10m would speed up the game at all. Not sure of your theory there. Reducing it would make it more like boring union.
10m is fine, the officials just need to enforce it.

Would certainly put more pressure on retreating defences with an additional couple of meters especially if quick play the balls and speedy 9 "s are then used to advantage or best effect . Could also encourage more dominant tackles instead of the wrestle spoiling tactics that many sides indulge in now . Maybe it could be tried in the trials next year but would need some wide spread support to have any chance of being taken seriously . Probably would be dependent on how each individual head coach would weigh up the advantages and disadvantages to suit their respective charges .

It would kill all levels of rugby league except NRL. You would have to be ridiculously fit just to play, let alone compete and win.
Probably would add more of a touch footy type flavour if it did eventuate . Some of the footy is a bit predictable and scripted now however and would [ or should ] certainly open up games more with some additional attacking opportunities . Again would be interesting to see how it would go in some N R L trials

No way would reducing the ten speed up the game.

I quite like it. If its a draw after 80 mins each team gets a point. Then winner of golden point picks up an extra point. Seems simple and fair

Yes the current system of busting your guts for 80 minutes , getting a draw and then losing due to who had the best drop goal kicker is absolute ****!!

Last edited:
I quite like it. If its a draw after 80 mins each team gets a point. Then winner of golden point picks up an extra point. Seems simple and fair

It's the nhl way and it works well.

Not sure about the convoluted mess that the article was proposing with 4.3.2.and 1 points for various scenarios. How nrl of them.

Piss off the strip all together ... it is a blight on the game ... and will become a nightmare ....

The skill of stripping a ball is not one that I am going to go to a game to see ... or tell my grandkids ... that I once say Josh Hodson strip the ball .....

Like every othre contested possession situation over the years ... scums .... striking and raking in the play the ball .... they end up becoming free for all ****fights .... that achieve nothing other than resist free open play .....

We all ready have players learning the new .. must have skill ..... hold him up and let go when I tell you ...... FMD ...... this essential skill is now being taught in the u/10's ...... forget about tackling and passing and running ............... let's practice fukken STRIPPING !!

... and the biggest mystery ..... there are numbnuts that actually support stripping .....like a Langlands sidestep ...... or a Beetson offload and a Randall tackle ....... they applaud the strip like window licking Le Feebles ........ convinced in their own Universe of Folly that they are witnessing the "new Era of Rugby League ..........
"window licking Le Feebles"......gold.@:D

I hate the 7th tackle set for field goals.

The rule needs to be changed. Kick it dead from outside your attacking 40 and it’s a 7 tackle set.

Inside it’s an old school 22 tap with 6 tackles.

It was another reactive rule made when players were kicking the ball dead to take fullbacks like billy the cheat out of the game

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4