More rule changes forecast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I read that there are a number of new rules about to be considered, some inspired by gridiron.
It amazes me that the NRL keeps wanting to tinker with relatively minor rules when the most important rule they changed a few years back is a proven failure and needs to be reversed:
Get back to one referee!
Our sport needs to be simplified, not tricked up.
The current Test matches played under international rules proves that one referee is better than two.

I read that there are a number of new rules about to be considered, some inspired by gridiron.
It amazes me that the NRL keeps wanting to tinker with relatively minor rules when the most important rule they changed a few years back is a proven failure and needs to be reversed:
Get back to one referee!
Our sport needs to be simplified, not tricked up.
The current Test matches played under international rules proves that one referee is better than two.

Four things really piss me of about the games rules.

1) two Refs and over use of bunker
2) and if we have a bunker why not forward passes checked
3) obstruction rule, FFS can’t it go back to the simple shepherd rule
4) and the strip, did he drop it or did they have hands on the ball, let’s face it they ALWAYS have hands on the ball!!

To be honest there’s more but if they fixed these it would help.

I understand the nrl are having some big pow wow to discuss these rule changes. Does anyone know who is involved. Or is that not our business because we don’t support the storm, roosters, souffs

Those at the top are convinced that the future of the game is in its entertainment value. I.E. TV, gambling and branded products. They want to emulate the supposed success of the NFL - a game that few people actually play and the majority of "supporters" only care about who one (and whether they covered the spread).
It goes against the culture of sport in Australia, where everyone is encouraged to take part. Adopting more complex rules and technology from gridiron will make the game even less accessible for fans and amateur players and has the potential to destroy the very nature of the game.

I understand the nrl are having some big pow wow to discuss these rule changes. Does anyone know who is involved. Or is that not our business because we don’t support the storm, roosters, souffs

Vlandy’s, Toddy, Uncle Nick, Rusty, Donkeys chairman and boss of the Drizzle, not sure anyone else’s opinion counts.

Those at the top are convinced that the future of the game is in its entertainment value. I.E. TV, gambling and branded products. They want to emulate the supposed success of the NFL - a game that few people actually play and the majority of "supporters" only care about who one (and whether they covered the spread).
It goes against the culture of sport in Australia, where everyone is encouraged to take part. Adopting more complex rules and technology from gridiron will make the game even less accessible for fans and amateur players and has the potential to destroy the very nature of the game.

BUT Muzzy they are “ modernising the game to keep the millennials interested” so that has to be a good thing , doesn’t it?

PS: if I knew how to insert LOL icons in here I would.

The biggest names and sharpest brains, Who the f#ck are they in this group????

The biggest names and sharpest brains in rugby league will meet next week to explore ways to make rugby league more innovative, exciting and easier to referee

The competition committee includes commissioners Peter V’landys, Peter Beattie and Wayne Pearce, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, head of football Graham Annesley, former coach John Lang, current NRL coaches Ivan Cleary and Paul Green, Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, RLPA representative Clint Newton, former star player Darren Lockyer and NRL general manager of elite officiating, Bernard Sutton.

BUT Muzzy they are “ modernising the game to keep the millennials interested” so that has to be a good thing , doesn’t it?

PS: if I knew how to insert LOL icons in here I would.
That's the ridiculous thing - at a time when Newtown Jets' games are packed out with bearded millennial hipsters (drinking locally brewed alcohol free IPA, and cold brew lattes) they think the solution is to go all out with technology to broaden appeal to younger fans :drunk:.
Meanwhile parents will continue to chose to put their kids in AFL or soccer comps after watching the number of injuries each week, not to mention the constant off field scandals. I hate to say it but the AFL is so far ahead in terms of encouraging people to get out and play the game and not just watch (with a gambling app in hand).

The biggest names and sharpest brains in rugby league will meet next week to explore ways to make rugby league more innovative, exciting and easier to referee

The competition committee includes commissioners Peter V’landys, Peter Beattie and Wayne Pearce, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, head of football Graham Annesley, former coach John Lang, current NRL coaches Ivan Cleary and Paul Green, Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, RLPA representative Clint Newton, former star player Darren Lockyer and NRL general manager of elite officiating, Bernard Sutton.
In other words; the current club of F wits that has brought you f up after f up for the last few years and brought fan disengagement to an all time high. Yeah that's a great idea :banghead:

The biggest names and sharpest brains in rugby league will meet next week to explore ways to make the game more innovative, exciting and easier to referee.
The powerful 12-member NRL competition committee will gather next Thursday for an open forum at which most discussion points are expected to come from the floor. Key issues expected to be raised include:
• An amendment to golden point similar to the NFL’s policy, where if the first team scores with a field goal, the other team is also given the chance to score. In NFL if the first team scores with a touchdown the game is over. It is hoped in the NRL this would promote the scoring of tries;
• Scrap golden point for 10 minutes of extra time (five minutes each way);
• Change the rule regarding an on-field trainer being hit by the ball as occurred in the grand final;
• Whether trainers are on the field too often and too long;
• The reintroduction of a five-minute sin bin; and
• Revisit the on-field captain’s challenge.

The NRL has accepted input from clubs, the RLPA and a fan survey which attracted 20,000 respondents.

One committee member said: “It’s about discussing issues in the game to make it more attractive.

“There may be changes that are recommended or everyone may be happy with the product we already have.”

NoCookies | The Australian

The idea that games must have winner is really giving me the sh*ts. Why put players through unnecessary injury risk - oh that's right the millions in gambling it must generate :swear:

The biggest names and sharpest brains in rugby league will meet next week to explore ways to make the game more innovative, exciting and easier to referee.
The powerful 12-member NRL competition committee will gather next Thursday for an open forum at which most discussion points are expected to come from the floor. Key issues expected to be raised include:
• An amendment to golden point similar to the NFL’s policy, where if the first team scores with a field goal, the other team is also given the chance to score. In NFL if the first team scores with a touchdown the game is over. It is hoped in the NRL this would promote the scoring of tries;
• Scrap golden point for 10 minutes of extra time (five minutes each way);
• Change the rule regarding an on-field trainer being hit by the ball as occurred in the grand final;
• Whether trainers are on the field too often and too long;
• The reintroduction of a five-minute sin bin; and
• Revisit the on-field captain’s challenge.

The NRL has accepted input from clubs, the RLPA and a fan survey which attracted 20,000 respondents.

One committee member said: “It’s about discussing issues in the game to make it more attractive.

“There may be changes that are recommended or everyone may be happy with the product we already have.”
Hey “ one committee member” I assure you everyone ISN’T happy!!!

Why isn't Gus there, he is quick to point out all the faults and blame everyone for what is wrong.
I guess it's easier to throw mud at everyone then be a target.

Two rules I hate are:

1: The quick tap, sometimes they allow it and other times it is called back.
2: When a ball is kicked dead and there is a 20-metre restart, a player bolts out to the 20 and taps the ball without stopping usually getting close to the 40-metre line before being tackled.

All I want to see is the NRL go back to how it was. Make it more simpler and remove all the complexities that have come into the game. The NRL are so reactionary and should not be changing rules on a whim. The game has changed so much in the past 10 to 20 years and it is unrecognisable to they way it used to be.

Re: the golden point amendment- why dont they just say that you cant score from a field goal instead of all this palaver about giving the other team an opportunity to score also?

Call it "golden try" or something.

Also if anyone gives away a penalty during "golden try" play, rather than allowing a penalty goal to be kicked, the penalised player gets sent off for the next set of 6?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2