Monday night games doubt?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
The big news this morning is that the Sea Eagles application to Warringah Council for night games has been completely stuffed up. Apparently "someone" forgot to include Monday nights in the application. :roll:

Deadset, we lurch from fiasco to fiasco. No doubt that the decision to swap venues was based purely on dollars and that is the CEO's call but somewhere all the back office stuff like ticket packages already sold, fans plans and being actually allowed to play that night just keep dropping into cracks.

You can bet that the local groups are going to have a field day on this one!

On a wing and a prayer - Eagles' desperate fight to save game

Lisa Muxworthy

20Apr07

THE season's blockbuster clash between the Sea Eagles and the Brisbane Broncos at Brookvale next month is in jeopardy after a bungled bid for night games was lodged with the council.

An emergency meeting has been called to allow the Eagles to make a desperate plea for the game to go ahead on May 21.

Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer yesterday admitted to a ``massive administrative bungle'' which left the club without permission to host the match, which is on a Monday night and already scheduled by the NRL.

Manly second-rower Anthony Watmough, who said he loved playing at Brookvale Oval, was hoping the issue would be resolved.

``Players' play, administrators administer, they will sort it out,'' he said last night.

The Sea Eagles went to the council last month to request an increase from six to 12 night matches and it was approved with some conditions.

But Mr Mayer said he discovered last week that the application was for Friday and Saturday nights, not Mondays. He said the club's consultant had lodged the wrong application with the council.

``It was a massive surprise to us that the application didn't include Monday night football,'' Mr Mayer said.

``We were completely in the dark until last week, which is a huge concern.''

The CEO said the club went to the council early this week and ``apologised unreservedly''.

Warringah administrator Dick Persson said he realised the club had made a ``genuine error'' and agreed to hear the application for the Monday night match.

The development application will be placed on public exhibition for two weeks and heard at the May 8 council meeting.

Mr Persson said he would sidestep the Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel but allow both the club and residents to address the council over the issue.

``I wouldn't do it (avoid IHAP) if I thought the community was denied time to make their case,'' he said.

Under the normal process, the application would most likely return to the council on May 22 - the day after the night match.

Brookvale Valley Community Group president Christina Kirsch was shocked the application would not reach the independent panel.

``The DA process and IHAP have been created to overcome and prevent the corruption that was rampant in the previous council and now he (Mr Persson) is proving that this whole process is nothing but a sham and a Band-Aid,'' she said.

Ms Kirsch and other Brookvale residents, like Mark Baxter, are opposed to Monday night matches, which they say come with anti-social behaviour, rubbish, traffic and noise.

Mr Baxter said it was a ``pretty major departure from the status quo''.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said he was confident the council would make the ``right decision''.

But should the Sea Eagles not be allowed to host the May 21 match, he said the club was responsible for finding an alternative venue.

Brookvale Valley Community Group president Christina Kirsch was shocked the application would not reach the independent panel.

``The DA process and IHAP have been created to overcome and prevent the corruption that was rampant in the previous council and now he (Mr Persson) is proving that this whole process is nothing but a sham and a Band-Aid,'' she said.

"Ms Kirsch and other Brookvale residents, like Mark Baxter, are opposed to Monday night matches, which they say come with anti-social behaviour, rubbish, traffic and noise."

Just proves there are people out there who are narrow minded and have nothing better to do than have there minute of fame oh I mean infamy. I shake my head.

Sadly these fools get enough publicity to put plenty roadbloocks in front of the club to makes things difficult, espeically with any redvelopment proposals

bloody hell, how long has brooky been there ? like fools who move next to an airport then complain about noise from planes!

I just love it when they get a footballer in as a filler in the article. Nothing is worng with what he said but i imagined him following up that statement by saying 'Cars go brooom' or 'trees are green'

Let's find where the Brookvale Valley tree-hugging Action Group bla bla bla live and burn down their houses, just to spice things up.

That will learn them not to be wingeing poms.

Nah don't burn there houses down.
Do a Cumberland oval job, like parra fans did 25 years ago.
Burnt down there home ground......... and got parra stadium built.
Thats the easy way to get brooky upgraded

The big news this morning is that the Sea Eagles application to Warringah Council for night games has been completely stuffed up. Apparently \"someone\" forgot to include Monday nights in the application. :roll:

Deadset, we lurch from fiasco to fiasco. No doubt that the decision to swap venues was based purely on dollars and that is the CEO's call but somewhere all the back office stuff like ticket packages already sold, fans plans and being actually allowed to play that night just keep dropping into cracks.

You can bet that the local groups are going to have a field day on this one!

You're making some pretty big assumptions there Stu.

Firstly, anyone that has dealt with any council knows what an ass town planners are. No doubt this application would have been made a long time ago which would have occured under the old administration - that of Pat Wilson.

Secondly, it seems like it is the contractor that got Wilson to sign off on the wrong document that excluded the Monday reference.

I fail to see what else Mayer can do than to go cap in hand to Council and get the exemption he seems to be seeking.

The real outrage is the NIMBY residents who have a long history of obstructing the games at Brookvale Oval trying to make mileage out of this issue. A true supporter would be directing their outrage at these schmucks who, if left unfettered, will affect the club's bottom line - and we all like supporting a winning team, don't we?

Maybe we could burn them down during the game so that the fires might help in properly illuminating the ground ;)

I fail to see how that is MAnly's fault when they are the tennant, not the landlord.

Absolutely the club was let down badly on external parties and now has to carry the burden of an over zealous beaurocacy and defend itself against an unelected minority who deem their role to cause trouble without 'real' justification.

We should be supporting the club where possible on this

I love the NIMBY brigade. It's like living near the beach and complaining about swimmers coming there.

Brookie has been a dedicated ground for a long time and what do the local residents expect?

"Ms Kirsch and other Brookvale residents, like Mark Baxter, are opposed to Monday night matches, which they say come with anti-social behaviour, rubbish, traffic and noise."

How would they know?

when was the last monday night game at brookie?

If its played on a monday thats 1 less game that may occur on a friday or saturday night, something they wanted less of.

And with most people having work the next day they are far less likely to be on the terps (dole bludgers excluded).

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2