Monas to stay till 2008

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Monas a stayer at Brookie
Manly Daily
ADAM LUCIUS
19apr05

SKIPPER Michael Monaghan revealed he is keen to stay with the Sea Eagles until at least 2008 after climbing out of his sick bed to inspire Manly's impressive 36-14 win over Canberra on Sunday.

The in-form halfback will meet with Manly officials early next month in the hope of striking a deal which will keep him at Brookvale for a further three seasons.

The club has struggled to find a consistent No 7 since Geoff Toovey but Monaghan is fast developing into one of the competition's leading halfbacks.

Now the former Raider wants to pledge his future to the Sea Eagles.

"I'm hoping it can be sorted out when my manager (Jim Banaghan) gets back from overseas in a couple of weeks," the Manly captain said last night.

"I'm keen to stay, everything is going well and I don't see any reason to leave."

Monaghan added to his growing reputation with a strong performance against Canberra before a big crowd at Brookvale Oval.

He scored a vital try and laid on two others as the Sea Eagles came from behind to secure their fourth win of the season.

It came a day after Monaghan was all but ruled out of the match with a virus.

"I was pretty much gone on Saturday night and Chad Randall was going to come into the side but I woke up feeling a bit better and decided to play," he said.

"I'm glad I did. It was an important game, especially coming off a loss."

Monaghan, back-rowers Anthony Watmough and Ben Kennedy and boom fullback Brett Stewart were outstanding.

The victory the Sea Eagles' seventh straight home win returned them to the top of the NRL ladder beside the Raiders and Sharks.

"There's good signs at this early stage, but there's still a lot of areas we can improve on," coach Des Hasler said.

Kennedy cut short celebrations with teammates to fly to Brisbane to join the Australian team ahead of Friday night's Test against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

Former Manly five-eighth Ben Walker has signed with South Sydney and may play against his former club at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

* After not receiving a Friday night game for seven years, Manly have been awarded their second match-of-the-round in a month.

Channel 9 will televise the Sea Eagles' round 11 clash with Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium.

Manly will feature on Friday night football for the first time since 1998 when they meet Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday week.

Good to see.

It will be nice to have a halves combination with some time to gel. Witt and monas could be very good together.

Great - if the club has settled on having Monas around for another few years that frees up the Orford cash for the centre/s we've been dreaming of.

dont give up on orford.

witt is a passenger.our great defence and monaghans good work on the line is hiding this pretender.his kicking in general play is a disgrace.and its not just me who thinks so.......

did we not score off his disgraceful kick? How about that 40-20 attempt which was 1 metre from making it to the 20.

His defence is really good. His passion is excellent. Get off his back. Orford is overated. He struggles against good sides. As i said ages ago when everyone was on Monas back.. id take Monas over Orford any day of the week.

Considering our defence last year and as I am a firm believer in the fact that great defence leads to tries, I would take a 5/8 who was good in defence and only ok in attack over a 5/8 who was good in attack and only ok in defence.

If we have a good defensive platform we will win games. Walker could manufacture tries from anywhere last year. Too bad that we let the other team score more every week.

dont give up on orford.

witt is a passenger.our great defence and monaghans good work on the line is hiding this pretender.his kicking in general play is a disgrace.and its not just me who thinks so.......

Give up the agenda, you're making me tear from boredom. Is this your first year watching footy? Seems like it.

dont give up on orford.

You are SO wrong Sue :shock: ...this kid is going to leave your comments in the dust...he aint no pretender.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6