Monaghan to Union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Monaghan may go to union
June 4, 2005

MICHAEL MONAGHAN's manager said his client would seriously consider switching codes after the Manly captain was effectively dumped by his NRL club today.

It appears Monaghan is certain to leave Brookvale at the end of the season, with speculation increasing that Manly will chase hard for Melbourne halfback Matt Orford when the June 30 anti-tampering deadline expires.

"He's very annoyed and very distressed," said player agent Jim Banaghan after the Sea Eagles refused to come to terms on a three-year deal with Monaghan today.

"I might have to speak to (NRL chief executive David) Gallop. We might be swapping over to union.

"The kid's only goal has been to play for Manly. He's probably the most upset I've ever seen any of my players.

"He's current captain of a club that's coming second in the premiership and only the night before he received man-of-the-match playing against a side (Sydney Roosters) that was in the last three grand finals.

"He's been told by the club he's got no future with them at the ripe old age of 25."

Banaghan met with Manly executive chairman Paul Cummings and chief executive Patrick Wilson at breakfast today in Sydney's eastern suburbs where the bad news was broken.

"I want to try and absorb it because I was fully expecting to sign documents this afternoon," Banaghan added.

Advertisement:
"Hopefully he'll be quiet, play good footy and we'll work it out sensibly."

Monaghan will wait until July 1 in the hope of attracting offers from other NRL and English Super League clubs or else he'll try his luck in rugby.

The bitter news for Monaghan came less than 12 hours after he was named man-of-the-match in the Sea Eagles' gutsy 22-18 victory over the Roosters at Aussie Stadium.

The No.7 today lashed out at critics who claim he's been holding out on re-signing with the high-flying Manly club in order to get a better deal.

"People have been saying that I've asked for more money and the simple fact of the matter is that I never asked for one cent more than they offered me," he told AAP today.

"They made me an offer and I was happy to sign it when my manager got back from overseas.

"For people to come out and say that I asked for 30 per cent more, that's the most disappointing thing.

"People hear that and they buy it straight away because its come from the club."

In April the Sea Eagles withdrew their preliminary offer amid claims Monaghan had refused to sign but the former Canberra playmaker said he only stalled because Banaghan was away overseas on business.

Banaghan today told his side of those "bizarre and "ridiculous" negotiations.

"They gave us the offer on a Friday, asked me not to talk to him until Monday and then pulled it on the Tuesday," he said.

"I received a call from (coach) Des Hasler saying `take it or leave it' and I hadn't even sat down with the player."

Banaghan later publicly claimed Orford had done a backdoor deal to join Manly next year in a breach of anti-tampering rules, leading to Orford's manager George Mimis threatening legal action against his fellow player agent.

The Sea Eagles told Monaghan he was on "trial" for a new contract in the club's past two matches – stirring victories over Penrith and the Roosters.

They issued a brief statement today saying they were "not in a position at this stage to make an acceptable offer to captain Michael Monaghan".

it almost appears that the club has taken out their frustrations on monas because of branahan accousing them of breaking the anti tampering laws

Yeah, but how ridiculous is Banaghan. Honestly what position would Monas play in rubgy.

Banaghan appears to be the problem in my mind.

Monas.....Rugby......LOL. I'm sure Bernie Larkham would love being on the end of Monas passing game, at least he would make Gregan look good. Or maybe he is going to solve the Tahs flyhalf problems with his quality kicking game. Please give me a break, what could he possibly offer rugby ???

Monas.....Rugby......LOL. I'm sure Bernie Larkham would love being on the end of Monas passing game, at least he would make Gregan look good. Or maybe he is going to solve the Tahs flyhalf problems with his quality kicking game. Please give me a break, what could he possibly offer rugby ???

Defense.....

Or spelling lessons.

Umm.. Defense is an acceptable variant of the word. Check your dictionary.

As for spelling lessons, it's about as useful as defense in a game of union.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4