Monaghan Keen To Re-Sign

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fresh news from NRL.com

Monaghan keen to re-sign

11 May 2005

Inspirational skipper Michael Monaghan says he hopes to re-sign with Manly this week despite speculation linking Melbourne halfback Matt Orford with the Sea Eagles.

Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan had claimed that his charge was "devastated" after Manly withdrew its offer to the class halfback.

But Monaghan today said talks initially stalled due to Banaghan's overseas commitments but had resumed again and they hoped to finalise a new deal "this week".

"We started negotiations but my manager had to go overseas for a month so the club was basically keen to sign me before he left but we ran out of time," said Canberra-born Monaghan, who turns 25 on Friday.

"I told the club I wouldn't sign while he was away so they have taken it off the table.

"But now he's back we will start negotiations again and hopefully have it sorted out this week."

The hiccup in negotiations prompted talk that Orford - off contract at the end of 2005 - would be coveted by Manly.

Orford has also been linked with English club Warrington and the Gold Coast 16th team bid which hopes to enter the NRL in 2007.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said he hoped talks with Monaghan would be finalised in the "next month or so".

"The manager can do what he wants for whatever reasons he wants to do it," Cummings said of Banaghan's initial claim.

"All I will say is that we see Michael as a very valuable part of our plans going forward and I am fairly comfortable in my own mind that it will sort itself out in the next month or so."

Monaghan said his future at Manly was not in doubt.

"I don't think so. The club has told me they are keen to sign and they know I am keen to stay so it was just the problem of my manager being overseas that has made it difficult," he said.

"There is talk they have spoken to him (Orford) which I can understand considering they need a halfback for next year.

"They didn't want to be left in a situation if they did lose me they were without a halfback next year and there are a couple of other halfbacks on the market, so they had to act quickly for next year."

Monaghan admitted he "couldn't be happier" at Manly, which is equal NRL leader on points and in line to make its first finals campaign since 1998.

But the Eagles captain - who took over from veteran backrower Steve Menzies just last year - wanted contract negotiations over sooner rather than later.

"The way the club is going at the moment, we still have a long way to go but the future is bright for Manly and things are only going to get better," he said.

"(But) you don't want these type of things (contract negotiations) hanging around for too long.

"We've got a pretty tough month of football coming up so I don't want to be dealing with this sort of stuff during that."

Oh well. It lead to good discussion today though.

Manas get you're manager to pull his finger out!

good to hear.

"There is talk they have spoken to him (Orford) which I can understand considering they need a halfback for next year."

this puzzles me.

Is Manly the they he is talking about or someone else.

Anti-tampering rules preclude anyone talking to a contracted player, without permission of the club, until June 30. That is still six weeks away so any speculation is likely to be just guesswork.

It is no secret that Orford wants to test himself on the market and what club wouldn't be interested. Monas is very likely to be wrapped up before then.

If anyone doubts his hooker potential one only has to look at PL Grand Final two years ago where he won Man of the match playing at dummy half!

good to hear.

\"There is talk they have spoken to him (Orford) which I can understand considering they need a halfback for next year.\"

this puzzles me.

Is Manly the they he is talking about or someone else.

Since he hasn't re-signed yet, Manly are technically without a halfback for next year. I assume that's what he means.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2