Modern day Fullback Importance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The old days it was great to have the safety of a solid fullback....also the 1 who was Explosive from the back.
These days there is a Massive difference, as fullbacks are FAR more involved in the game.
Look at Manly NO turbo compared to WITH Turbo....I mean if there's a footy game where Manly A play Manly B, with the exact same sides, but Turbo in Manly A and Elliott in Manly B.....the A side wins by 10 and potentially 30 points once heads drop....and not only Turbo shines, the team mates in A with the same ability as those in B, appear to be twice the player also.
And it's not just Manly, look at Roosters even last week vs Raiders, without Tedesco they lose that game by 20+ imo....
In saying that, the underrated Raiders 1Klokstad, saved the game with some Massive defensive plays at the death.
There's no doubt the Storm who were meant to fall away after losing Slater, have now unearthed the flying Papenhuyzen who again has a Huge say in their results.
The Panthers are so blessed across the park that the "reliable" Edwards gets the job done and the other finalists Souths have Corey Allen who has been in great form in recent weeks and a Big part of their strike and point blitzes, always supporting and imo, maybe not as spectacular as Latrell, but puts in more energy to be there for plays Latrell wouldn't make.

Speaking of Klokstad, did anyone see his post-match interview last week?

He's such an upbeat, positive & happy guy, massive smile on his face the whole interview & even when $BW tried to get his head in the frame by planting a slow-mo mock punch on his jaw from off camera, Klokstadd stopped in awe & pointed at Williams & said "Sonny Bill! Hur hur hur!" @:D

The old days it was great to have the safety of a solid fullback....also the 1 who was Explosive from the back.
These days there is a Massive difference, as fullbacks are FAR more involved in the game.
Look at Manly NO turbo compared to WITH Turbo....I mean if there's a footy game where Manly A play Manly B, with the exact same sides, but Turbo in Manly A and Elliott in Manly B.....the A side wins by 10 and potentially 30 points once heads drop....and not only Turbo shines, the team mates in A with the same ability as those in B, appear to be twice the player also.
And it's not just Manly, look at Roosters even last week vs Raiders, without Tedesco they lose that game by 20+ imo....
In saying that, the underrated Raiders 1Klokstad, saved the game with some Massive defensive plays at the death.
There's no doubt the Storm who were meant to fall away after losing Slater, have now unearthed the flying Papenhuyzen who again has a Huge say in their results.
The Panthers are so blessed across the park that the "reliable" Edwards gets the job done and the other finalists Souths have Corey Allen who has been in great form in recent weeks and a Big part of their strike and point blitzes, always supporting and imo, maybe not as spectacular as Latrell, but puts in more energy to be there for plays Latrell wouldn't make.
Edwards at the Panthers is by far the least flashy of that lot but he is sure reliable.

I think the importance of the fullback is declining a little as a whole, although not for all teams. It really depends on the structure of the team.

Hooker seems the most significant position and if you have a fast backline the fullback just needs to be solid. If you are like we were in 2020, with no speed, the fullback can still be used as the key role in a football team - luring defenders, breaking the line and most importantly, providing the linking pass to the backs so that they can still get involved and score tries. In teams like us, a lack of a quality fullback pretty much renders the backline useless. For teams like Rabbits, the fullback isn't important
But a really good one is worth a lot of money ( as we know ).

Maybe the "importance"
Maybe it is more the quality of many of the current players who play FB than the actual role and involvement level of the position.
Wombat would play the same way in the modern game as he did then...and he would be just as effective.

So maybe the FB role hasn't changed, just the ability of a lot of current players in the FB slot being much higher than in the past. Great fullbacks have always stood out...maybe there are just MORE of them now.

Maybe the "importance"

Maybe it is more the quality of many of the current players who play FB than the actual role and involvement level of the position.
Wombat would play the same way in the modern game as he did then...and he would be just as effective.

So maybe the FB role hasn't changed, just the ability of a lot of current players in the FB slot being much higher than in the past. Great fullbacks have always stood out...maybe there are just MORE of them now.
The Wombat was a powerhouse, he would "chime" into the backline and punch holes and his defence was amazing....very fast for such a solid block and could Kick goals.
I do however feel the roles of a fullback now include a far better passing game....I mean if you look at Lockyer who was a great fullback prior to playing 5/8, also Snake Stewart, Slater ect can all throw a decisive pass to the best option when on the attack to an outside back.....maybe more so than fullbacks of yesteryear, who were required to be safe under the high ball and return kicks with interest...the roles have really evolved since the late 90's in a few area's.

Edwards at the Panthers is by far the least flashy of that lot but he is sure reliable.
At start of the season I said 'Panthers simply can't win a title with Edwards at fullback'. Still haven't eaten my words yet, looks like I might be. I think Storm still have the edge on them but Raiders the opponent out of them and Souths that I would fear more. Will be a testament to how good Cleary is, and the accompanying Luai, Crichton, Martin, Naden etc if they win the title.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4