Mistakes in online sport journalism

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Over the last few years, i have noticed alot a mistakes being made in sports columns. It seems the rapid nature of on demand content means QA processes have gone to the way side.

Here is a rather poor one on Fox sports tonight, blair has managed to tackle himself:

STERLO: BLAIR A PROBLEM FOR BENNETT

Broncos legend Gorden Tallis on Monday slammed Adam Blair’s chicken wing tackle on Adam Blair, saying “I get disappointed that he wears the Broncos jersey and plays like that” and describing the front-rower as one of the NRL’s dirtiest players.

Tallis backed his own stance again on Monday Night with Matty Johns and he had an ally in Peter Sterling who gave Blair another kick on Triple M’s Rush Hour.

“You can end careers doing stuff like that and I mentioned the words professional respect, he doesn’t show a lot of that, and that’s disappointing,” Sterling said.

“I would like to think that coaches should be having a look at that too and taking the player aside and saying ‘if you’re going to play in my football team you shouldn’t be doing that’.

“You would like to think that Wayne Bennett with his time in the game and the way that he talks about the integrity of the game, that’s what’s being effected by one of his players and he needs to become involved in looking to change that behaviour.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/65aaa986823f837f7a66f175f9bd1143

When i saw the thread title i immediately thought of Fox Sports. And youre right. The news.com.au site is shocking also. Grammar errors all over the place, identifying the wrong players in photos etc. Its mediocre. But more alarmingly places like Fox Sports let through any old riff raff, even without much understanding, insight into the game. Before you know it, certain types rise up through the ranks and are writing articles and opinion pieces, which of course wind up on our threads in here, which we debate and pull apart. This is 2016 for you

Yeah I read that too and shook my head.

The level of general standards in journalism are pretty poor these days. One that always irks me is when reading Australian news articles even from "reputable" places and they are talking about the police and they will say
"Cops" or the "The Cops arrested" I mean really, for one show some respect, also it just sounds so teenager to use. The term "Police" or "Police Officer" is a much better term to use, and not that hard to use either!

Yeah I read that too and shook my head.

The level of general standards in journalism are pretty poor these days. One that always irks me is when reading Australian news articles even from "reputable" places and they are talking about the police and they will say
"Cops" or the "The Cops arrested" I mean really, for one show some respect, also it just sounds so teenager to use. The term "Police" or "Police Officer" is a much better term to use, and not that hard to use either!

I think you'll find "Po-Po' is the correct term!

I don't think they spell check or even generally check articles in the media any more do they? I thought once upon a time the editor or someone did it. They would have picked up the mistake (above) but now it just slides through.

I reckon I take more care with my posts on here then some journalists do when publishing their articles.

I think you'll find "Po-Po' is the correct term!

A don't think they spell check or even generally check articles in the media any more do they? I thought once upon a time the editor or someone did it. They would have picked up the mistake (above) but now it just slides through.

I reckon I take more care with my posts on here then some journalists do when publishing their articles.
Going back a little before I met my wife I was acquainted with a girl whose job it was to man the news wire at night the job goes to young uni students and there was little to no checking if anything was spelled correctly or even that factual it was just a basic rewrite and print out to the websites

Going back a little before I met my wife I was acquainted with a girl whose job it was to man the news wire at night the job goes to young uni students and there was little to no checking if anything was spelled correctly or even that factual it was just a basic rewrite and print out to the websites

Sounds about right. (though sad.)

I used to get all my news from 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.' but alas, he's retired.

I've noticed this as well. The other area in which errors have greatly increased is commentary. I've always considered Ray Warren a pretty good caller, in particular he would research the correct pronunciation of names. These days Ch9 seem to call the wrong names at least 3-4 times a game, and unfortunately Warren is now one of the worst offenders.

It not just sports journalism its the entire industry in general. And there is a good reason behind it.

My mum is actually the Editor for 3 what used to be Rural Press newspapers in south east QLD.

Not so long ago (the very profitable) Rural Press were bought out by the very unprofitable Fairfax Media. Over the last few years the process was undertaken to strip the guts out of the RP and use it as a sort of financial float while Fairfax changed the way they do business and 'streamlined' the production of newspapers.

Im not talking for news limited here but when certain media companies in Australia streamline their business by sending articles directly to the Philippines for grammar correction so they can under staff their journalists and editors, you are going to continue to get things like this.

The journo's and editors arent less intelligent or articulate than they used to be. The old argument of back in my day really doesnt float with anything.

Its that the current state of media (with regards to the internet) find it very difficult to turn a profit when news is essentially free now days. As a result the processes by which something appears on your smart phone at smoko is very very different to the Editor in their desk surrounded by journalists you envisage.

Last edited:
Actually you can get quite hurt chicken winging yourself. But not as serious as tackling yourself in mid air or giving yourself a head high. Dangerous sport playing with yourself.

Journalism these days just consists of reproducing tweets and facebook messages doesn't it ?? The standard for what constitutes a "story" these days is appalling.

I find it amazing when the news is reporting on a story...then the news reader goes: "And now for what some people are saying on twitter!" Then they actually screen shot and read out what some 'randoms' tweeted.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2