Million dollar baby

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
Is DCE and his manager wanting the million dollar figure forcing Glenn out of our club, sure he's good but remember no one wanted him, we gave him a shot and with in a matter of years he's asking absolute max dollars, surely he could take a slightly less deal and try to keep Glenn , thurston has waited his whole career to get the million dollar figure..... Don't get me wrong DCE is good, but I think this has come a little soon and could possibly cause some unrest..... I get the feeling foz/ choc isn't really happy about the situation. Just my opinion, cheers, time for fish and chips at brookie

And you know DCE is looking for a million $ because ???

Bottom line is that DCE is more likely to win us a premiership in the next 3 years than Gifty is. Why should he be made the scapegoat for this situation ? There are plenty of others.that could take cuts as well. No one in their right mind would keep Glenn over Daly if that was what it boiled down to.

I remember when there was talk of
Steve Matai going to Cronulla or wherever, Watmough did, or was prepared to take a pay cut to keep him at Manly.

Lets face it, the club is snookered by the cap over retaining Gifty.

It is unfair to have a go at DCE. He has to be retained because quality half backs do not come around often.

The club needs to look Gifty in the eye and tell him the truth. This impasse is so unhealthy and has dented the good start to the season the team has made.

Losing Gifty would be really hard to cop but we have to move on from this.

The paycut that Matai took was -10%. Choc never quantified his. In fact it wasn' technically a paycut, Matai just chose to accept a lesser increase from Manly.

DCE is currently on 500k, so for him to reject the rumoured 1 million, would be asking him to take a 50% paycut - ridiculous :dodgy:

Painting this as a contest between Players is not valid. The reality is that its a business decision and all the parties know the Salary Cap limitations :cool:

Gifty wants to stay on his home turf, so its his decision not to consider more lucrative offers to move until the deadline his Manager gave Manly.

Lets hope that now its passed, he actively pursues a lucrative contract for his client :cool:

Watching Kitey last night totally vindicated Manly's decision to sign young up and commers.

Gifty is a legend and deserves his million from a club that is in a position to pay him .

sheridanstand78 said:
It is unfair to have a go at DCE. He has to be retained because quality half backs do not come around often.
The club needs to look Gifty in the eye and tell him the truth. This impasse is so unhealthy and has dented the good start to the season the team has made.

I'll tell you who snookered us, . . . . effing Des Hasler that's who :mad: - With his back ended nonsense.

Manly can afford Glenn Stewart and start looking for a new halfback. DCE will probably be too expensive given the amount of money other clubs will be throwing his way.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
I'll tell you who snookered us, . . . . effing Des Hasler that's who :mad: - With his back ended nonsense.
Exactly, if it wasn't for that we would have lost the Stewarts Lyon Matai and others ages ago, so we wouldn't have this stupid long-term loyalty issue ( ... or that extra premiership)

EagleFromMay1967 said:
sheridanstand78 said:

but maybe that's what got us the premiership?
just sayin.

One Million for Peta
Two Million for Gifty
Three Million for Fozzie
Four Million for DCE
Five Million for Burgess
Six Million for SBW

You have to wonder when it stops, these players will begin to price themselves out of the market and the game ( such as the last two).

When will it stop , maybe the first Ten Million dollar deal???

you are a little wrong with Thurston I think - He has been taking up a huge chunk of their cap for year up north with no premierships to show for it.

Who do you think they have never won it?

Thurston has been over-rated since day one and still is, i must admit though the biggest improvements in his game have come in the last 2 years.

I've always stated Thurston will never win a GF as the main man his skillset is limited and he lacks composure. Thurston has a great will to win and plays with a lot of heart but most elements in his game are not top notch.

His passing is average, his kicking is average, has a decent show and go and that's about it, backs up well also.

Sometimes players that appear on the surface to have less about them offer a more rounded skillset--even just a better passing game offers a club more options to build a composed attacking structure around. That is why years ago i stated i would take Pearce over Thurston it is all about building good structures that hold up for a long season.

The above does not mean i rate Pearce above Thurston on a one on one comparison, it is just i could coach a more rounded structure with more passing options and better kicking options with Pearce---Thurston does not offer much to build around other than what he offers himself.

wedgetail eagle said:
I remember when there was talk of
Steve Matai going to Cronulla or wherever, Watmough did, or was prepared to take a pay cut to keep him at Manly.

Did Choc really take a paycut or did he just agree to change his contract to have some money moved around because it appears he is on one heavily backended deal next season?

One thing that pisses me off, is every player coming off contract at Manly threatens through their manager. How many times has DCE publicly been linked through his manager to The Bronco's, and wanted upgraded contracts mid term?

They kind of hold the club over a barrel.

Now it's, "we'll all defect if Glenn Stewart isn't signed".

I mean, come on.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6