Middle Men

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wonder why having "the same body type" is relevant.
Many of the best forward defenders in the past have been on the small side, such as Bunny Reilly, Gilmeister, Vautin . . . now a guy like Victor Radley is showing size doesn't equal mongrel.
I think that is what the article was getting at,not just having big powerful dudes,changing it a bit and having different guys with different abilities etc...I agree about the smaller forwards you mentioned,but they are scarce on the ground nowadays,it takes a lot of ticker to match it with guys who seriously outweigh you(I guess that is why they are hard to find)

I wonder if Greg Eastwood could be an option as forward depth? I don't want him to start but he could be useful off the bench on a cut price deal. He gets through a lot of work and is a solid defender. He is without a club and would take a pretty cheap offer one would think. He has history with Des so it's possible.

Ok, at 31 he is not the player he once was but we don't have cap space to buy a marquee forward and he is experienced and a point of difference in the pack.

I wouldn't do cartwheels about his signing but it wouldn't bother me either.
Yeah,the thought had crossed my mind too about Eastwood,he is not as agile and athletic anymore,but he does look to get involved and has a bit of agro(will not back down).He also has a knack of landing on his front when tackled and has a quick play the ball,could be useful off the bench if cheap.Could be useful if injuries occur later in the season and could be good for some of the younger forwards to have around...I thought he went ok last year but out of favour with Pay.I would like to see guys like Amone and Keppie upgraded but as Keppie is signed to a development contract it is not really necessary and Amone could be upgraded to a development contract and be an option later on without having to use a spot in the 30 man squad.I think there were some thoughts that he might have a run with Cabramatta two blues or someone in the RMC,so probably would be interested in taking a 26-30 man position for minimum contract for another year....

Last edited:
I think that is what the article was getting at,not just having big powerful dudes,changing it a bit and having different guys with different abilities etc...I agree about the smaller forwards you mentioned,but they are scarce on the ground nowadays,it takes a lot of ticker to match it with guys who seriously outweigh you(I guess that is why they are hard to find)
The body shape thing is not really about how they defend, it’s so the opposition don’t get in a groove constantly making the same sort of tackles on the same sort of forwards. Or so I’ve heard (but forget where I heard it, maybe Bellamy or Hasler??)

Thanks yet again Smokin' Joe. Two elements of the Manly game this year concerned me quite a bit (what only 2 Bearfax?). But yes the two issues involved the Trbojevic Bros. I remarked earlier about the drop in form of these outstanding players (not in the Blues team though), and felt then that Jake's work load offered him little opportunity to show his remarkably skilful attacking ability, especially linked with Tom. And Tom seemed, like DCE, to be trying to do everything, because of the lack of skill and pace in the back line. The end result was that they both overplayed many of their increasingly predictable attacking efforts. I'm pleased that Hasler seems to have tagged onto that problem. JT, TT and DCE are pearls to be used carefully, strategically and effectively. They shouldn't have to be shouldering most of the responsibility in the side because that just exhausts them and makes them prone to error and targets of other teams. The workload needs to be shared more equitably both in attack and defence. If other players cant contribute and show initiative, then they shouldn't be there. Taupau, AFB, Api and Thompson do their part. Walker has the potential for greatness. Others need to step up, if Manly is to return from the ALSORANS .

The body shape thing is not really about how they defend, it’s so the opposition don’t get in a groove constantly making the same sort of tackles on the same sort of forwards. Or so I’ve heard (but forget where I heard it, maybe Bellamy or Hasler??)
Si,and different abilities etc....if you think guys are just going to pass it behind a decoy,or dump it off,or just go to ground for a quick play the ball it is predictable,variety for all aspects I think is what is meant and what I was trying to imply....but yeah,if you only have one type of player physically coming at you it is probably a bit easier to contain(although a forward pack of Pasekas' would be a frigging nightmare no matter how much practice you get trying to tackle them...)

Thanks yet again Smokin' Joe. Two elements of the Manly game this year concerned me quite a bit (what only 2 Bearfax?). But yes the two issues involved the Trbojevic Bros. I remarked earlier about the drop in form of these outstanding players (not in the Blues team though), and felt then that Jake's work load offered him little opportunity to show his remarkably skilful attacking ability, especially linked with Tom. And Tom seemed, like DCE, to be trying to do everything, because of the lack of skill and pace in the back line. The end result was that they both overplayed many of their increasingly predictable attacking efforts. I'm pleased that Hasler seems to have tagged onto that problem. JT, TT and DCE are pearls to be used carefully, strategically and effectively. They shouldn't have to be shouldering most of the responsibility in the side because that just exhausts them and makes them prone to error and targets of other teams. The workload needs to be shared more equitably both in attack and defence. If other players cant contribute and show initiative, then they shouldn't be there. Taupau, AFB, Api and Thompson do their part. Walker has the potential for greatness. Others need to step up, if Manly is to return from the ALSORANS .
It is why I think that many on here are ignoring how important someone like Elgey could be for us.(chuck in Sironen and a bit of variety/change in the forwards and it is harder to contain what is coming at you).Most important for me Bearfax is getting the defense right,the less points you let in,the less you have to score.....

Paul green

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6