Michael Robertson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Barks

Reserve Grader
2nd player to discuss is Robbo.

I quickly felt safe with Robbo on the wing covering high or low kicks. He was mostly reliable & at times providing pleasant surprises. May have been quiet in a few games, but reminds me of Stuey Davis – in the way that you don’t look for him to break a game open, but don’t cringe when a kick or attacking move is coming towards his wing ( as I would do with Scotty Donald ). More than happy for him to be around in 2007 unless a Lote etc .. was arriving (which he aint). Or if some young kid can step up and take his spot, well, manly will be even healthier.

I expect Meaney to take his spot sometime in 07......good player though

He really surprised me- I didn't expect much but as Silent Bob said he does his job and improved as the year went on.

He had an amazing game against North Queensland in Round 2, and hasn't looked back since. In my opinion he is the prototype for a winger- tall, quick and good under the high ball. He had some quiet stages throughout the year, but he was very safe at the back and if all our forwards ran the ball as hard as he does on kick returns, we'd have one of the top 3 best forward packs in the comp.

Some highlights include his game against North Queensland, his pearler against the Dragons, his hattrick against the Rabbits and his awesome work in the Knights game (scored one, gave a beautiful flick to Matai, caught a kick on the sideline with pressure from a chaser or two and ran thirty metres downfield... and was then speared by Danny Buderus).

Overall rating for 2006: 8/10.

Michael Robertson: Positives - Good, solid winger is the best way to describe him. Doesn't appear to have many mistakes in his game. Has handled every winger in the comp as far as i'm concerned. I feel very safe when the ball is headed his way. Has a good strong kick return.

Negatives - Not too many negatives, as i said a good solid player. Perhaps the only thing i could pick on is the fact that he doesn't appear to find the tryline to often and his partnership with bell doesn't set the league alight like other centre/winger combo's may

Overall Rating for 2006: 7/10

Michael Robertson: Positives - Good, solid winger is the best way to describe him. Doesn't appear to have many mistakes in his game. Has handled every winger in the comp as far as i'm concerned. I feel very safe when the ball is headed his way. Has a good strong kick return.

Negatives - Not too many negatives, as i said a good solid player. Perhaps the only thing i could pick on is the fact that he doesn't appear to find the tryline to often and his partnership with bell doesn't set the league alight like other centre/winger combo's may

Partnership with Matai ;)

Although for the first two-thirds of the comp Matai hardly passed the ball to him, in the last 8 games or so their combination has really developed as Matai has improved. This is probably reason to keep Matai in the centres- his partnership with Robertson has dramatically improved lately.

I think he was one of the buys of the year for any team. He was safe, reliable and improved as Matai improved (funny that!).

I liked BKs comment about him. It was great being a forward when Robbo at about 80kgs hit the ball up as if he was 120 kg. BK rated his workrate, guts and determination and that is good enough for me.

Yeah he was a solid player, certainly didn't cause too many headaches when the high ball came his way. The question I have about him is that someone is going to have to make way for Lyon next year, and it will have to be either Burns, Matai or Robertson. Burns and Matai are not without their faults, but they are young and on the improve. Is Robertson's best worth more than Burns or Matai's potential?

Actually, Dunley could make way if Lyon were to play 5/8th. Or, Matai could just move to lock and Lyon into the centres. From what i've heard, Robbo may be facing some competition from Meaney in PL.

yep, for the 1st time in ages I've seen a fair amount of PL games this year & I'm not getting sold any dummies about PL players pushing for 1st grade spots. Maybe if someone gets injured, Meaney might grab his chance, but he's not ready to play 24 rounds of 1st grade in 2007. Hell, I hope he proves me wrong and explodes on the scene like Elsegood, but.....

Downie,

Yes Dunley would be out of the 17, but my point was that someone would have to make way from the current backline. That may involve moving to the bench/forwards, or going to PL.

In most instances he keeps the healthy distance from sideline when attacking. Positional play in defence seems to be good. Hasnt been dominated in high ball encounters. Has the speed to do the job.

Needs to be a bit more pro-active in his attack and maybe produce combinations with his centre including taking a pass off his centre and coming back inside on the fly.

All in all, "solid" as described above numerous times is the most approriate description.

I like Robertson, solid, good defender and OK under the high ball. His greatest handicap was playing outside Matai who rarely passed the ball and placed to much pressure on him when his defensive mistakes appeared. Matai into the pack as a second rower, Dunley out along with Roach.

I like Robertson, solid, good defender and OK under the high ball. His greatest handicap was playing outside Matai who rarely passed the ball and placed to much pressure on him when his defensive mistakes appeared.

What he said x 2.

His work on the end of attacking kicks has been pretty good as well. Would like to see him get some more opportunity with the ball, but that may come next year with the arrival of Lyon. Whether he plays 5/8 or centre I'm sure we'll play a bit more of an expansive game which will see Hicks and Robbo get more pill.

Downie,

Yes Dunley would be out of the 17, but my point was that someone would have to make way from the current backline. That may involve moving to the bench/forwards, or going to PL.

Ah, I get ya now. It'll be Burns or Matai in my opinion. I don't think Matai is good enough under the high ball or has the speed for a winger, so Robbo's place is hopefully safe.

Yeah I think you might be right Downie. The more I think about it, the more i think that Lyon should be at 5/8. The more he gets his hands on the ball the more chances he has to cause trouble. Also, he could link up with Bell from 5/8. That would be a devastating combination.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4