Method to madness

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Yeah, I'm flummoxed about Ballin not playing too. I can only assume the following:

1. Hasler may have been asked (or took a punt) on combining Lyon and Orford at 6,7 to trial them as a possible Blues combination. This would have dictated the make-up of 9 and bench.
2. As from next week we will have several games where Origin is going to effect our side. We can't afford to have players without match fitness in the side. Thus it was essential that Matai have a run. He hasn't played in 2 months.
3. Similarly Burns has had a few weeks off. He needed some game time. Burns is also unsigned for next year so we can't annoy him with PL time while we're negotiating a contract.
4. In fairness to Monas, as his name is being spoken about in Origin dispatches, he deserved the opportunity to show his wares extensively ast night.

All this leaves Ballin in no man's land and he paid the price last night. It strikes me that he has a strong constituion and can cope with the dissapointment. There's no doubt he will be back for the Broncos game.

Quite possibly it was also thought a rest would do him good. It is his first year in Firsts and he has had some big games.

I can only assume the reasoning for his ommission has been well-explained. !pray:

Ive been doing the same type of answer searching Mata and covered the points youve made there.

One point remains. Why no Ballin in PL ? I dont belive its an issue of resting him. Groom is only doing hooker as a defensive drill so he could surely for one game he be moved back to 1/2 with Ballin in the 9.

Im still bemused.

If part of the rationale is to give Ballin a rest, then why play him in PL?

And we can't have him injured just before the great SOO player bleed.

Keeping him in ice is not a bad thing.

We missed Ballin last night.. and I dont rate Monaghan at hooker.. he does the job but i think hes a far better player in the halves.

I just hope if Monas or Orford make origin... unlikely but if... Ballin gets recalled and not the fit again Dunley!

If part of the rationale is to give Ballin a rest, then why play him in PL?

And we can't have him injured just before the great SOO player bleed.

Keeping him in ice is not a bad thing.

Ballin playing in PL is him being rested. But I dont believe Ballin being rested was the rationale. I remain bemused.

Yeah, I'm flummoxed about Ballin not playing too. I can only assume the following:

1. Hasler may have been asked (or took a punt) on combining Lyon and Orford at 6,7 to trial them as a possible Blues combination. This would have dictated the make-up of 9 and bench.
2. As from next week we will have several games where Origin is going to effect our side. We can't afford to have players without match fitness in the side. Thus it was essential that Matai have a run. He hasn't played in 2 months.
3. Similarly Burns has had a few weeks off. He needed some game time. Burns is also unsigned for next year so we can't annoy him with PL time while we're negotiating a contract.
4. In fairness to Monas, as his name is being spoken about in Origin dispatches, he deserved the opportunity to show his wares extensively ast night.

All this leaves Ballin in no man's land and he paid the price last night. It strikes me that he has a strong constituion and can cope with the dissapointment. There's no doubt he will be back for the Broncos game.

Quite possibly it was also thought a rest would do him good. It is his first year in Firsts and he has had some big games.

I can only assume the reasoning for his ommission has been well-explained. !pray:

5. Hasler wants Matai in the team at centre.

Interestingly in a pre-match interview in the Presidents Lounge Ballin seemed as confused about why he wasn't playing as the rest of us.

Said he had "a few bumps and bruises" but no real injuries.

Said something about State Of Origin coming up and maybe that's why Des was resting him. Didn't make sense really as players lost won't affect his position.

Also said he was signed until the end of next year.

Gues Des just wanted to play Matai. Not such a good idea in retrospect given now Matai will be suspended just when we need him to replace Lyon.

Because Monas was playing his last game for manly.

Ballin will have to step up for the rest of the year.

At least give him a break before in happens.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4