• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
IMO Metcalf is not a reason to fix something that is not broken. Walker looks real good towards the end of last season. I expect injuries will determine who gets a shot and when.
I'm assuming that Metcalf will get to the point where his form is irresistible and forces Walker back the centres, but it might take an injury for him to get his shot.

His defense probably still needs a lot of work, as might his passing. But from what I saw in the 9's his speed and his game sense are massive assets. Once he is ready for FG he will become a mainstay, I think.

Metcalf is an interesting mix, as he offers that explosive speed that can break a game open...but if we don't have to only give glowing reviews on here, there were also some disturbing moments.
The effort not to contest a short bomb that gifted a try and a few hands on ineffective grab tackles and the lack of vision leading to 3+ kicks that were not on or even needed, 1 in particular 5m out on hot attack where running the ball it seemed a formality to score.
The positives add confusion, as this player is a pure attacking weapon with individual brilliance, yet not a guide to control a footy game.
My conclusion is almost hypocritical to the negative factors above, as I feel off the bench at dummy half he could destroy defence with quick darts and off 2nd phase ball, after the sting has gone from the game, which would also limit the early contact that could expose him defensively....will leave it to Des - he usually gets these things right....

Just as it is wise not to get too carried away with positives from a nines game ... it is also wise not to read a whole lot into the negatives ..... for example both Cust and Croker looked like they had never played in the halves in their lives ... the style of the games just don't suit that type of play ...

It takes time to become the well rounded consistent player .... Thurston was flicked even after a year in 1sts and we were all laughing about how hopeless Mitch Moses was in his first year ... the lesson is that it is the ones with not only the natural brilliance ... but also the will and persverence that end up making the grade ....

Does Metcalf have the goods ... I don't know ... but I am certain that any decisions the club makes about him will be made on whether they believe he has the right stuff and not on just whether he can do the occasional wizz-bang ....

Remember he was an u/18 Australian halfback ... so he has runs on the board ...

In summary ... any expectation that any young tyro ... regardless of how naturally talented he is .. is going to have a complete game from stratch is an unreasonable expectation ... what you can hope and expect is that he will continue to improve with experience ...

Last edited:
Metcalf is an interesting mix, as he offers that explosive speed that can break a game open...but if we don't have to only give glowing reviews on here, there were also some disturbing moments.
The effort not to contest a short bomb that gifted a try and a few hands on ineffective grab tackles and the lack of vision leading to 3+ kicks that were not on or even needed, 1 in particular 5m out on hot attack where running the ball it seemed a formality to score.
The positives add confusion, as this player is a pure attacking weapon with individual brilliance, yet not a guide to control a footy game.
My conclusion is almost hypocritical to the negative factors above, as I feel off the bench at dummy half he could destroy defence with quick darts and off 2nd phase ball, after the sting has gone from the game, which would also limit the early contact that could expose him defensively....will leave it to Des - he usually gets these things right....
Yeh that is an interesting scenario , only issue i guess is that for instance Levi might have a spell after 25 - 30 minutes or so in the i st half and there would probably still be some fairly well organized defence to contend with . Plus he [ Metcalfe ] would still be required to put in for the tackling department . 2 nd half might be a different situation however with tiring defences . Probably a bit like Phil Blake coming on as a dummy half in modern times . Very few N R L players would presently match Metcalfe "s all round speed and acceleration and for sure as an sub attacking weapon and support player , could be very useful and damaging .

I guess what I'm hoping for is that Schuster is able to prove himself at the top level. He may not be as fast as someone like Walker or Metcalf, but he is still quite fast and quite evasive as shown by the number of tries he scores by himself, through sheer deception and unexpected short distance speed. He also looks a good defender and being a large frame he looks capable of playing it tough. But its his silking distribution, long vision, and almost Cliffy like unpredictability that makes him look a far better proposition for 5/8 than the rest. Watching his frequent almost Cliffy-Beaver like combination with Ben T. was beauty in motion. I hope they both successfully move to the next level because I think they could be lethal. And note he was declared best player in several divisions as he moved up the junior ranks.

Probably a bit like Phil Blake coming on as a dummy half in modern times . Very few N R L players would presently match Metcalfe "s all round speed and acceleration and for sure as an sub attacking weapon and support player , could be very useful and damaging .
Funny you should mention Phil Blake, Al. Watching the Nines, all I kept thinking was how he would have carved up - a chip and chase try with every touch!

I'll be shocked if Des gives Metcalfe any quality time in 2020. One thing he doesn't tolerate for long are defensive flaws. He dropped Cust last year due to some defensive concerns and from what I have seen, Cust is a much better defender than Metcalfe.

The consensus is and I haven't seem him defend but the consensus is that he struggles in the defensive line so if he does - if - then it wont matter how much attack he can give us off the bench he wont be playing first grade at Manly while Des is here until his defence improves.

I'll be shocked if Des gives Metcalfe any quality time in 2020. One thing he doesn't tolerate for long are defensive flaws. He dropped Cust last year due to some defensive concerns and from what I have seen, Cust is a much better defender than Metcalfe.
Spot on Snake

The consensus is and I haven't seem him defend but the consensus is that he struggles in the defensive line so if he does - if - then it wont matter how much attack he can give us off the bench he wont be playing first grade at Manly while Des is here until his defence improves.
Agree about Des's mindset on defence.
A few times ive played with guys who could not defend and esp read the attack who, in one committed season become an above average defender. It can be done with 1 Attitude 2 coaching and 3 commitment.

Agree about Des's mindset on defence.
A few times ive played with guys who could not defend and esp read the attack who, in one committed season become an above average defender. It can be done with 1 Attitude 2 coaching and 3 commitment.
In the old days we were told attack with the head in defence - the body has to follow then at the last minute tuck the head out of the way and all you have left is shoulders and just drive them in. The skill of driving up and hitting just under the ball or going low is almost a forgotten art. But we used to train and practice over and over again. Some of us wanted to do it - others would shy away. You should be looking and hoping the guy runs at you so you can put him on his bum. I know today is all about grapple and go high but I can tell you - low great tacklers like Folkes, like Gillmeister, like Lance, like Randall, like Fullerton-Smith and now like Trbojevic would still be devastating today - maybe moreso because these unsuspecting "athletes" just never face anyone besides Jake in a year who would cut them in half. Agreed - those guys all had attitude - all wanted to tackle and were taught how to tackle. The junior coaches need to go back and teach kids - go low - cut them in half. they cant run if they are smashed sitting on their arse. While Des can't coach them now to tackle low - he can coach them how to want to defend as a unit where everyone MUST do their job. That is the attitude commitment and coaching.

Ditto.

I also hate when the cover tackles a breakaway player and proceeds to lye all over the player, let him get up and play the ball to the non existant support.

I suspect some of you guys think I'm bagging Parker.

I'm not. He's done a great job out wide. But let me suggest this scenario.

Schuster was playing in the forwards as a junior early on and was seen as outstanding. But notice Manly moved him to 5/8 in the juniors and he starred big time. He wasn't moved there by accident. There was obvious design and the Manly club saw his ability with the ball and obviously saw that as his future position. Now Hasler is not going to waste that sort of talent in the forwards. He's been developed as a 5/8 on purpose and helps explain why Manly didn't chase any other 5/8s in the offseason. I suspect he's ear marked for the position for later in the year and especially for 2021.

That means by years end, Manly will have Suli, Walker, Ben T. Funa and Parker vying for two centre spots. The wings are Garrick and Taufua/Hopoate with Anderson and Miski as outsiders. Don't know about you but to me five into two just doesn't fit. Suli to me is about to explode. He's the player I see resembling Matai the most. Walker is a speedster, best suited to centre. And young Ben T. wont be kept out of the first grade for long. So its not about Parker not doing a great job. Its about who is most likely to get the centre roles by years end and 2021. Its not an emotive issue, its just a logical numbers game. For now Parker is safe. By years end.....?
I think you will find walker will be our long term 5/8 he is an absolute gun and last season whenever he had the ball he troubled the opposition with his speed and skill.. he also has great passing selection and a top running game!
Imho he was better than Dce at the end of the season and in the finals. Suli and parker will be the centers and if burbo is better then parker he will take his spot. No one is safe.. parker is great though he does lack speed.

What you need is either a distributing half or 5/8. DCE is a running half. He passes OK but you need someone to ignite the backline and that isn't happening as well as it could even with Walker. They are solid but a good five eighth sets up the play. If you look at running five eighths, they look good and can be exploding, but they can tend to stifle the backline. Lyons, Lyon, Alan Thompson, Foran, our best five eighths were all good at setting the backline into motion.
Walker does set up the plays.. he killed it there end of season all without turbo dont forget that ;) now he has a full pre season with turbo and snake coaching them. Watch the short side raids we will do this season its gonna be marvelous MARVELOUS

Have to disagree guys. Walker is baby sitting the five eighth role. He's a centre and an outstanding one. He's wasted at 5/8. Without being directly told by someone in the club, Manly were anxious to ensure they held onto two junior players, that being Albert Hopoate and Josh Schuster.

Now they are not going to waste Schubert in the forwards, especially when they have had him playing 5/8 in the past season in the juniors and being their star player in the juniors for the past few seasons. There's no way they will stuff around with this fellow, if he shows he can handle the big boys, hold his own and display the type of play he's been showing consistently in the juniors. To do so would risk another club grabbing him, and there are a lot of feelers for this kid.

Walker is doing a good job, but if Schubert shows he can handle first grade, he's a level above Walker in the type of skill needed at five eighth. By the end of the season we'll know, but I suspect, with Des's special training with this kid, that he will be Manly's five eighth by seasons end

Have to disagree guys. Walker is baby sitting the five eighth role. He's a centre and an outstanding one. He's wasted at 5/8. Without being directly told by someone in the club, Manly were anxious to ensure they held onto two junior players, that being Albert Hopoate and Josh Schuster.

Now they are not going to waste Schubert in the forwards, especially when they have had him playing 5/8 in the past season in the juniors and being their star player in the juniors for the past few seasons. There's no way they will stuff around with this fellow, if he shows he can handle the big boys, hold his own and display the type of play he's been showing consistently in the juniors. To do so would risk another club grabbing him, and there are a lot of feelers for this kid.

Walker is doing a good job, but if Schubert shows he can handle first grade, he's a level above Walker in the type of skill needed at five eighth. By the end of the season we'll know, but I suspect, with Des's special training with this kid, that he will be Manly's five eighth by seasons end
Hmmm interesting very interesting. We shall see my friend we shall see. Exciting times ahead

I guess what I'm hoping for is that Schuster is able to prove himself at the top level. He may not be as fast as someone like Walker or Metcalf, but he is still quite fast and quite evasive as shown by the number of tries he scores by himself, through sheer deception and unexpected short distance speed. He also looks a good defender and being a large frame he looks capable of playing it tough. But its his silking distribution, long vision, and almost Cliffy like unpredictability that makes him look a far better proposition for 5/8 than the rest. Watching his frequent almost Cliffy-Beaver like combination with Ben T. was beauty in motion. I hope they both successfully move to the next level because I think they could be lethal. And note he was declared best player in several divisions as he moved up the junior ranks.
I think Schuster would make a great lock, when he is ready

I think shister
I hope Schuster is ready for first grade as we need depth in the backs and it will be a long season.

Given that schuster is a development player it’s unlikely we will see him in NRL until June. My tip is he will definitely see some 1sts in second half of the year and then be a permanent in 2021. I reckon that hoppa will burn it up at Blacktown and by May replace Jorge and will also be cover for turbo.

SPEED
KILLS !!!

images.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7