• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You're obviously a glass half empty kind of bloke ;)
Oh and that guy he ran passed that was "gassed" after 60 seconds :)
I wouldn't say I'm a glass half full, I have just seen the 9s lit up by all sorts over the years and very few of them translate that talent to the NRL. Take Bevan French for example. It's a flash in the pan moment and everyone gets on the back of it. The Fox commentators say things like "a superstar is born here at the 9s today" and every blows their loads and it's just ****ing stupid. The whole thing is lame.

Each to their own I guess, it's not hurting anyone but I just chuckle at the short sighted simplicity of some peoples thinking. The whole tournament is a complete joke.

I'm excited by his potential. He's only 20 and has been beset with injuries.
We need some extra speed in our backline. I'm sure he will star in the Workers team.

I wouldn't say I'm a glass half full, I have just seen the 9s lit up by all sorts over the years and very few of them translate that talent to the NRL. Take Bevan French for example. It's a flash in the pan moment and everyone gets on the back of it. The Fox commentators say things like "a superstar is born here at the 9s today" and every blows their loads and it's just ****ing stupid. The whole thing is lame.

Each to their own I guess, it's not hurting anyone but I just chuckle at the short sighted simplicity of some peoples thinking. The whole tournament is a complete joke.

They are essentially playing a different sport.

You’re definitely not a fence sitter, I’ll give you that.:p

@winnyason and @eaglebuzz ....

Boy the good Lord works in mysterious ways .... 2 posts one after the other ... one says Metcalf couldn't organise a root in a .... and the next suggests Metcalf will be our #6 by mid season ....

I am officially confused ....
I think Winnyason must have me blocked for whatever reason (probably Folau), so I will take your word for that. I can't see the post.

Metcalf at 6? Cant see it because he doesn't have the distributing skill and his defence is in need of assistance. You need someone clever, who sets up your backs' attack, not just a flyer. As a replacement half, if you have a clever 5/8, there may be a role for him

Just hope that he can have a better run with injuries , will never be allowed to realize his potential or for higher level footy if his career continues to have him more off the footy paddock then on it . Will or should definitely get a run in Manly 's only trial match and then with Black Town so can be plenty of opportunities for him injury free to further develop his game . Off course showed some great touches but also some obvious short comings at the 9 "s , is in a good space at present with a good and competent coaching regime so that should certainly be in his favour at least .

Very risky to make predictions out of that tip and giggle stuff from the weekend.

But Metcalfe did put his hand up for a possible bench spot to come on as an attacking weapons. I know Des philosophy is generally 3 forwards on the bench and one other hooker cover BUT if Levi can grind out 80 mins why not 3 forwards on the bench and this bloke as an x factor 2nd half sub. I mean quite often our 17th man forward plays bugger all minutes anyway most games. And Metcalfe could cover fullback, Halves and speculatively could play dummy half at a pinch in an emergency ( for a really short stint off bench etc )

Doubt Des would do it, he's generally very methodical and predictable with his selections and who is anyone to argue. But food for thought.

NRL FOX....
The kids are alright! Six young stars who put their names up in lights at the Nines
Luke Metcalf (Sea Eagles)

You’d never have known the 20-year-old was coming off an ACL injury the way he performed for Manly, earning a spot in the team of the tournament.

Metcalf suffered the serious knee injury in Round 2 last year and spent all season on the sidelines waiting for his moment to shine - and didn’t he just.

In Manly’s first pool match against Melbourne, Metcalf showed serious toe for a runaway try before he made it a double when he pounced on his own grubber.

In his side’s second pool game against North Queensland, he again showed incredible pace to kick ahead and regather for a bonus try.

Metcalf is part of the Sea Eagles’ top 30 this season.

Speed.Kills.jpg

Metcalf at 6? Cant see it because he doesn't have the distributing skill and his defence is in need of assistance. You need someone clever, who sets up your backs' attack, not just a flyer. As a replacement half, if you have a clever 5/8, there may be a role for him
You ever heard of a running 5/8? Plenty of clubs have them. I'd argue Walker is one too.

You ever heard of a running 5/8? Plenty of clubs have them. I'd argue Walker is one too.

What you need is either a distributing half or 5/8. DCE is a running half. He passes OK but you need someone to ignite the backline and that isn't happening as well as it could even with Walker. They are solid but a good five eighth sets up the play. If you look at running five eighths, they look good and can be exploding, but they can tend to stifle the backline. Lyons, Lyon, Alan Thompson, Foran, our best five eighths were all good at setting the backline into motion.

As Halves have been playing either side of the ruck for quite some time now , the notion of a half and 6 distributing the ball or setting up a play in conjunction with each other in recent eras has really been long superseded in the general sense . One play that i did like in recent times however was the switch ruck play that D C E and Green used to occasionally work with Tom Turbo , less likely with a D C E and Walker halves combo but Walker at 6 at present has other advantages . Just wonder how Cliffy "s 6 career [ and other previous notable 6 "s ] would have panned out with the split halves playing mode now , would have still impressed no doubt but would have also had less touches

Not all the halves play one side.
And so many different styles can succeed at 5/8. The best players could do all do the various roles but they had different dominant strengths. Fulton was predominantly a running 5/8, so was Kenny, but another immortal Wally was an organising game manager 5/8. As was Thurston.
Cliffy was a master at setting up supports, Lamb was a master at backing up (and dirty hits).
Keary is probably the current best. Wighton and Dylan Walker are both dangerous runners who are still building their kicking & organising ability.
The main constant is that to be successful a team needs one of its very best players in that key position.

Metcalf is an interesting mix, as he offers that explosive speed that can break a game open...but if we don't have to only give glowing reviews on here, there were also some disturbing moments.
The effort not to contest a short bomb that gifted a try and a few hands on ineffective grab tackles and the lack of vision leading to 3+ kicks that were not on or even needed, 1 in particular 5m out on hot attack where running the ball it seemed a formality to score.
The positives add confusion, as this player is a pure attacking weapon with individual brilliance, yet not a guide to control a footy game.
My conclusion is almost hypocritical to the negative factors above, as I feel off the bench at dummy half he could destroy defence with quick darts and off 2nd phase ball, after the sting has gone from the game, which would also limit the early contact that could expose him defensively....will leave it to Des - he usually gets these things right....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4