Menzies Plans to Go Out on Top

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Menzies Plans to Go Out on Top
Andrew Bryan
NRL

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=50271

Manly great Steve Menzies has revealed the fear that is driving him to succeed in a season in which he could become the most capped first grade player in Rugby League history.

The 34-year-old has established himself among the greats of the game in a decorated career in which he has won a premiership and World Cup, represented NSW and Australia and risen to second place on the all-time list of first grade games played and tries scored.

But after 14 seasons, 325 games and 167 tries, Menzies wants to ensure he departs the game at the right time.

“It’s a tough situation that every player has to go through,” Menzies said of retirement speculation.

“You don’t want to retire early and wish you’d played another year when you’re retired, but you don’t want to play too long.

“I guess that’s my biggest fear, having people look at me and say, ‘He used to be a great player, what is he still doing out there?’

“That’s the main issue that will keep me from playing if I have any doubts.”

The game’s Centenary season will be a special one for Menzies in many ways.

He needs to play another 25 games to break Terry Lamb’s record of 349 first grade games – a mark he is capable of breaking this season should Manly again make the finals.

And while he has indicated he would like to play on in 2009, this year could be the last time NRL fans see Menzies in action.

“I am only a 10 or 20 per cent chance of playing in 2009,” Menzies said.

“I really didn’t want to close the door and say it is was my last year.

“I just want to enjoy football and if the body is feeling good and if mentally I’m feeling good and the club wants to keep me I’ll play again.

“You’re a long time retired so we’ll see how I go.”

After two narrow losses to start the season the Sea Eagles will be desperate to win when they take on the Warriors at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

He is one of the greatest all round playerts to lace on a boot (that I have seen), that is in terms of footballing abilty and off field conduct.  I will shead a tear when he hangs the boots up!!!!!

Someone needs to give Menzies a packet of Kotex U tampons at the next post game function.

Canteen Worker link said:
I will cry buckets when he retires (and the last time I cried years ago!!!) ;)

Bull****, I would say for a man who eats Le Snack's at the footy, crying is a weekly ritual.

That said, Beaver is a Legend it will take a long time for him to seem to old. He still has the magic now!

Flip link said:
Someone needs to give Menzies a packet of Kotex U tampons at the next post game function.

Are those the ones that come in a handy purse sized pack with a picture of two beavers frollicking on the beach with a beach ball and acting funloving & carefree ?

Jatz Crackers link said:
Are those the ones that come in a handy purse sized pack with a picture of two beavers frollicking on the beach with a beach ball and acting funloving & carefree ?

I'm not sure of all the intricate details of the packaging but you sound like your on the mark.

Only give your beaver the best.

I can tell you that when he does go none of us here will feel like we are watching a Manly team for a very long time. Almost the greatest player in two generations. How he missed all the other best player polls is complete BS.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=177180.msg180542#msg180542 date=1206613687]
I will cry buckets when he retires (and the last time I cried years ago!!!) ;)

BullS**t, I would say for a man who eats Le Snack's at the footy, crying is a weekly ritual.
[/quote]And this from a pussy who can't play a game of park soccer without incurring some soft injury!!! :p

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6