Men of League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
Men of League now have a northern suburbs group with people such as Noel Kelly, Norm Pounder, Neil Whittaker and Wayne Springall on the committee.

For those that don't know what men of League is about their primary role is to provide assistance to ex players, officials, referees etc who have fallen on hard times.

Their website is http://www.menofleague.com/LocalCommittees/NorthernDistrictsSydney.aspx

For a joining fee of $20 you will receive invites to functions which will be attended by many ex Manly players and officials as well as bi monthly newsletters including articles on where some of the ex players are now.

A worthy cause to support the past players who have given us great enjoyment over the years but are now requiring support because of illness and/or financial reasons.  

I've heard of that before on radio and always thought I would sign up. Now I will renew that goal, upon being reminded of the tremendous Manly stalwart Norm Pounder. Has there ever been a better name for a rugby league front rower?

i hate how it assists referees.. .. men of league should just be ex- players not refs . refs can make their own foundation up  .. aww thats right they know they wont be getting any donations  if there was a ref foundation so they have to tag along with the players foundation, thats the only way they will get any funds.. 

Post  automatically merged: [time]1289361134[/time]

faxed form today ;) onya tooks...

I have been a MOL member for about 3 or 4 years, $20 gets you in and nothing after that....the MOL Brisbane crew do a great job with functions etc around most test matches which include a feed and tickets to the game plus a meet and greet with many retired players. I organised one of these for the MWTS crew who came up for the Bronco's game in 2009 and those who came had a ball.....I would urge every league fan to join as it's a great cause.

jjai link said:
i hate how it assists referees.. .. men of league should just be ex- players not refs . refs can make their own foundation up  .. aww thats right they know they wont be getting any donations

Refs are people too jjai, and shock horror, they are a part of our great game. I don't think it matters who is in trouble, if people are in need we should do what we can to extend a hand of help, the world would be a far better place.

I am far more willing to become a member of this to help someone (yes even a referee *cough* PERSON) in need than i am to become a club member and watch our second row forward smack a sponsor in the face at the annual launch.

Just my opinion.

A lot of the people in trouble now played the game years ago when players were not paid as well as they are now and most had full time jobs as well.

A small price to repay them for the years of enjoyment watching them play.

got me package  on friday.. must say i like the look of the key ring...  ;)  thanks again tooks, been wanting to join that  since i heard about  them..

No worries jjai

The newsletter has some good articles in it as well.  A small cost that provides a lot to some people in need.

tookey link said:
A lot of the people in trouble now played the game years ago when players were not paid as well as they are now and most had full time jobs as well.

A small price to repay them for the years of enjoyment watching them play.

Spot on, I'm a member and happy to support their functions.

It's a really great cause....I work with the Queensland MOL group and have done some travel where they have brought terminally ill retired players into Brisbane to attend things like Test Matches, State of Origin. Last year they brought a guy in his late 30's from Roma, with his wife and kids and made them special guests of the Queensland Origin side. To see the look on the kids faces when they got to meet their idols and be there because of their Dad would bring tears to your eyes. This young man died 6 months after that and wrote me a letter thanking me for organising his trip before he died and said that he hoped his kids would remember the special occasion they spent with their dad all organised by MOL.

Seriously the best $20 you'll spend in your life.

I'm a member.
I sat next to Darrell Williams at an Eagles Angels luncheon at the Leagues club a couple of weeks ago and Darrell is vice-president of the Northern District chapter and we had a chat about the Foundation.
Clearly some very passionate people doing some great work in the league community so well worth supporting their efforts if you can.

2011 commitment for all Manly supporters.

Be a football club member as well as a men of league member.  Two worthy causes.

Plus 1 for that post Tookey

Also, for those that can a Sea Eagles membership (ticketed or out of town) will contribute funds directly to the players and support team.

See here

http://membership.manlyseaeagles.com.au/which-membership-for-me/

I signed up and paid my 20 last night. 20 bucks is very little to contribute to a worthy cause.
Also became a ticketed member in the fulton-menzies for next year for the first time recently, signed up kids too...

good on ya adam  .. now you just need to join the MWRLFC  ..  & thats your triffecta.. ;)

jjai link said:
good on ya adam  .. now you just need to join the MWRLFC  ..  & thats your triffecta.. ;)

Actually forgot to mention I did that too at the time of signing up for season tickets  ;)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2