Memo: Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I do not like what occurred this year, on the field, between players, between supporters but I'll be buggered if some hack continually uses my Club to score some cheap clicks or comments on the radio.
I know it's a serious topic.....but.......

I know that I'll be buggered before I'll let myself get buggered, .........just to show support of...........ummm.... buggery..!

Roy & HG - 'that's why it's called Club Buggery...' Club Buggery - Wikipedia

As Rex Mossop did say, "I don't think the male genitals or the female genitals should be rammed down people's throats... to use a colloquialism."

I think that Rex, Roy & HG would have approved (for different reasons) on your final sentence, @AndWeDon'tCare

Poorly written article, misdirected criticism - but there is an underlying truth and subtext....

We stood on the precipice of greatness. The eyes of the world were turned our way (and i am afraid to say, that leads to marketing $$$ - which we BADLY need). And in our moment of triumph - we ballsed it up.

We could/should be the 'club of choice' for any supporter or player grappling with their sexuality and looking for a safe space.

instead - we fumbled it, and did more harm than good.

Roll on the PRIDE jersey next year - and this time, stand firm. Let players opt out if they so choose again. Give them 6 months warning..... and then let them explain themselves.

Poorly written article, misdirected criticism - but there is an underlying truth and subtext....

We stood on the precipice of greatness. The eyes of the world were turned our way (and i am afraid to say, that leads to marketing $$$ - which we BADLY need). And in our moment of triumph - we ballsed it up.

We could/should be the 'club of choice' for any supporter or player grappling with their sexuality and looking for a safe space.

Roll on the PRIDE jersey next year - and this time, stand firm. Let players opt out if they so choose again. Give them 6 months warning..... and then let them explain themselves.
The Club? 'Brave'....but also clueless. You're right, @Harmless27 - It was fumbled - and it did do more harm than good.

There are times to take a leadership stance on contentious issues, and there are times not to. And to be smart enough to know the difference. Particularly - to be smart enough to know that the issue at hand was, and still is, contentious.

Contentious? We all have different ideas of what we want our 'ideal' world to look like. These seem to be multiplying on this forum, and I see no need to add to them - at least not today.

Just to clarify: - I'm calling the issue as (a lack of good) communication and (therefore not reaching) consensus - a club governance issue.
Not 'homophobia', 'double-standards', 'intolerance', or even dress-sense. Or 'teamwork', or 'unity'. Some issues are just easier to implement, and I'm suggesting that the club could have been a little more pragmatic, and thought this through without preconceptions.

Perhaps my time in the commercial world has made me a tad cynical; however I'm seeing a mass proliferation of social justice agendas from all kinds of organisations, and it's getting easier to believe that it's being done to try and gain a 'competitive advantage' in some way. Yes - the 'agenda' is not always as altruistic as is being portrayed, IMHO.

Why didn't the NRL 'lead' on this? Any stand of this nature should have come from the head of that organisation, and then ratified by the clubs. Why did one 'brave' (but ultimately naive) club have to do the 'Charge of the Stupid Brigade' on this issue? Why my club?

Probably because the NRL and all the other clubs knew it was a minefield - the aftermath pretty well confirmed it was a minefield.

"We stood on the precipice of greatness."

Oh give me a break, "We stood on the precipice of greatness." Why? How? For daring to put multicoloured hoops on our jersey.?! That no other club was smarter enough to go anywhere near.

I measure the greatness of a football club in how many premierships it wins --- (we are after all at the end of the day merely a FOOTBALL club) --- not on which issues it chooses to virtue signal on.

"We stood on the precipice of greatness."

Oh give me a break, "We stood on the precipice of greatness." Why? How? For daring to put multicoloured hoops on our jersey.?! That no other club was smarter enough to go anywhere near.

I measure the greatness of a football club in how many premierships it wins --- (we are after all at the end of the day merely a FOOTBALL club) --- not on which issues it chooses to virtue signal on.
No worries - we can agree to disagree. I hold my footy club to a higher standard than just winning premierships.... I think Manly means more than winning. Its about how we treat people, how we behave, and how we represent our local community/area. But I have always held this line - this is why I wanted people who I perceived to be a negative representation of the club/area OUT of our club (D Walker is one I was particularly negative towards). But thats ok - we don't 100% agree.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4