Memo: Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Australian Isaac Humphries has become the first active male basketball player currently playing in a top-tier league to come out as gay.

The 24-year-old addressed his Melbourne United team-mates in the locker room in a moving video posted on social media.

ADVERTISEMENT

150 million reasons Manly must phone NBL star Isaac Humphries

In the space of three minutes, Melbourne United basketballer Isaac Humphries showed the world what courage looks like. He also embarrassed Australia’s biggest sporting codes.

by David Riccio

Manly CEO Tony Mestrov should already be on a plane to Melbourne.

If award-winning singer, Tones and I, and Aussie singer and TV personality Dannii Minogue know how to get in touch with NBL club Melbourne United’s front office, so can an NRL boss.

In the space of three minutes last Wednesday, Melbourne United basketballer Isaac Humphries showed the world what courage looks like.

Humphries’ powerful video, where he painfully admits an attempt to take his life because he hated who he was, before declaring the moment that he realised he no longer had to hide he was gay, will reach a global audience of more than 150 million people by tonight.

“The truth is there are so many people in other worlds that are struggling every single day and don’t know how to get up, (and) don’t know how to exist. I know how that feels, and I want to represent those people,‘’ Humphries said.

“That’s my goal behind this: make sure people know you can be whatever you want, no matter who you are or what you do. You can be ‘Big Ice’ and be gay, and you can still be a great basketball player and be gay. You can do whatever you want.‘’

No other individual in Australian sport this year has connected with the rest of the world like Humphries has.

Within the first 24 hours of Humphries’ video, it was viewed more than five million times, with two million views on Twitter, as well as more than three million more views across TikTok and Instagram.

CNN International, with a reach of 40-plus million, splashed their home page with Humphries’ emotional story.

The NBA’s official Twitter posted this to their 40 million followers: “We are proud and grateful to Isaac for sharing his story. We know the real impact his honesty and courage will have on many others. Isaac has our unwavering respect and support.’’

NBA star Pau Gasol attached the video to his more than seven million followers with a post that spoke about his pride in Humphries.

The likes, retweets and shares are still going today.

Spanish football giant FC Barcelona posted its support on its official Twitter of 45 million.

Basketball luminaries Lauren Jackson, Andrew Gaze, Jason Collins, Chris Anstey – they all praised Humphries.

There were few, if any, supportive posts from NRL clubs.

Rugby league and its clubs have some serious growing up to do.

A basketball club with an administration staff list of just 18 and budget far less has embarrassed the country’s biggest codes.

It’s been four months since Manly was gripped by confusion and division over a jersey that has ruined careers.

The Sea Eagles, in the wake of their rainbow jersey fiasco, still don’t know what they plan to do with the jersey next year.

It took United – formerly the Melbourne Tigers – just one week to devise a respectful and polished announcement that has led to a proud 24-year-old Aussie captivating the world.

United staff members sat around a table last week and came together around Humphries.

They finished the meeting to emerge with a culture so determined to support, embrace and aid one of their own, that when other sporting franchises want to start talking up their principles, they should sit back down.

It was United coach Dean Vickerman who first met with Humphries inside his home last week.

Humphries broke the news to his coach before then meeting with United CEO Nick Truelson to explain how he wanted to tell his teammates – and the rest of the world.

David McFarland, who manages Humphries’ off-field interests, was also part of the discussion.

McFarland was also responsible for helping A-League footballer Josh Cavallo become the first openly gay men’s footballer in the world earlier this year.

“It was a huge week to get everything planned,” Truelson said.

“We planned it 24/7 together, but at the same time, we kept it all strict confidentiality.

“The rawness you see in the video of Isaac telling his teammates is very real and it was a huge moment for him.

“It was so exciting for me to see all of his teammates’ reaction of applause and support for him.

“The reaction has obviously been immense. Tones And I rang me straight after the video to tell me she would be at the game (last Thursday night) as a sign of support, Dannii Minogue is also a fan of the club and voiced her support.

“When I originally caught up with Isaac at our offices, I felt proud that Isaac saw us as a club that would be willing to stand alongside him at this moment.

“We love the fact that Isaac wants to be a trailblazer for young boys and girls who are really struggling with their sexuality, to know that you can be a top athlete in men’s sport, especially.

“When you look at men’s sport, not just basketball, but all men’s sport globally, the fact that Isaac is the first openly gay basketballer, shows we’ve got a way to go.

“That’s a really powerful conversation that Isaac wants to have with anyone who has questions.’’

Pick up the phone, Manly.

I'm sorry David, why should Manly pick up the phone or is that quite possibly the laziest end to an article about a brave and brilliant young man and you David, try and score some points by drawing all of what was written before to Manly picking up the phone.

Pathetic, lazy and inflammatory noting a clear point made that "no decision has been made at this point" yet, you decide to be somewhat clever at the end.

Here's a suggestion David, why don't you organise a call with all 17 CEO of the NRL, the NRL executive itself and Isaac Humphries and report what is discussed there AND then have the other 15 NRL CEO provide a public comment on their club's position, noting, only one other club last year, involved in the actual fixture, provided their thoughts via their Coach.

I do not like what occurred this year, on the field, between players, between supporters but I'll be buggered if some hack continually uses my Club to score some cheap clicks or comments on the radio.

I'm sorry David, why should Manly pick up the phone or is that quite possibly the laziest end to an article about a brave and brilliant young man and you David, try and score some points by drawing all of what was written before to Manly picking up the phone.

Pathetic, lazy and inflammatory noting a clear point made that "no decision has been made at this point" yet, you decide to be somewhat clever at the end.

Here's a suggestion David, why don't you organise a call with all 17 CEO of the NRL, the NRL executive itself and Isaac Humphries and report what is discussed there AND then have the other 15 NRL CEO provide a public comment on their club's position, noting, only one other club last year, involved in the actual fixture, provided their thoughts via their Coach.

I do not like what occurred this year, on the field, between players, between supporters but I'll be buggered if some hack continually uses my Club to score some cheap clicks or comments on the radio.
I agree with everything you’ve said,except I’d be very interested to see what would happen if the Roosters were put in that position.Robinson was very vocal commending Manly saying they’d do it,but given they weren’t actually in that position,it’s easy to say that.The Roosters have a few Polynesian players,so I wait to see if he backs up his comments

I agree with everything you’ve said,except I’d be very interested to see what would happen if the Roosters were put in that position.Robinson was very vocal commending Manly saying they’d do it,but given they weren’t actually in that position,it’s easy to say that.The Roosters have a few Polynesian players,so I wait to see if he backs up his comments

Completely agree with your comment about the Roosters, my mention of them was that Trent Robinson made some comments leading up to the game including:

Robinson was asked if his own team would wear a pride jersey, he revealed he had spoken with his own playing group in depth about the matter.

“Definitely … because we need to move forward, that is my personal view,” he said.

“I have talked to my players about it, we have talked about it openly.

“Because we have a job to do, we want to play a Roosters style of footy and dominate tomorrow night, but whether we like it or not we do have sponsors on jerseys, we do have things on jerseys that we represent.

“And you know that is a decision for clubs and the game to make, but my personal opinion I am about equality, and I want people to feel like they are cared for, and loved, and have a place no matter what their sexual preference.”

Woggio’s Woundup.

I was thinking along the same lines.

150 million reasons Manly must phone NBL star Isaac Humphries

In the space of three minutes, Melbourne United basketballer Isaac Humphries showed the world what courage looks like. He also embarrassed Australia’s biggest sporting codes.

by David Riccio

Manly CEO Tony Mestrov should already be on a plane to Melbourne.

If award-winning singer, Tones and I, and Aussie singer and TV personality Dannii Minogue know how to get in touch with NBL club Melbourne United’s front office, so can an NRL boss.

In the space of three minutes last Wednesday, Melbourne United basketballer Isaac Humphries showed the world what courage looks like.

Humphries’ powerful video, where he painfully admits an attempt to take his life because he hated who he was, before declaring the moment that he realised he no longer had to hide he was gay, will reach a global audience of more than 150 million people by tonight.

“The truth is there are so many people in other worlds that are struggling every single day and don’t know how to get up, (and) don’t know how to exist. I know how that feels, and I want to represent those people,‘’ Humphries said.

“That’s my goal behind this: make sure people know you can be whatever you want, no matter who you are or what you do. You can be ‘Big Ice’ and be gay, and you can still be a great basketball player and be gay. You can do whatever you want.‘’

No other individual in Australian sport this year has connected with the rest of the world like Humphries has.

Within the first 24 hours of Humphries’ video, it was viewed more than five million times, with two million views on Twitter, as well as more than three million more views across TikTok and Instagram.

CNN International, with a reach of 40-plus million, splashed their home page with Humphries’ emotional story.

The NBA’s official Twitter posted this to their 40 million followers: “We are proud and grateful to Isaac for sharing his story. We know the real impact his honesty and courage will have on many others. Isaac has our unwavering respect and support.’’

NBA star Pau Gasol attached the video to his more than seven million followers with a post that spoke about his pride in Humphries.

The likes, retweets and shares are still going today.

Spanish football giant FC Barcelona posted its support on its official Twitter of 45 million.

Basketball luminaries Lauren Jackson, Andrew Gaze, Jason Collins, Chris Anstey – they all praised Humphries.

There were few, if any, supportive posts from NRL clubs.

A basketball club with an administration staff list of just 18 and budget far less has embarrassed the country’s biggest codes.

It’s been four months since Manly was gripped by confusion and division over a jersey that has ruined careers.

The Sea Eagles, in the wake of their rainbow jersey fiasco, still don’t know what they plan to do with the jersey next year.

It took United – formerly the Melbourne Tigers – just one week to devise a respectful and polished announcement that has led to a proud 24-year-old Aussie captivating the world.

United staff members sat around a table last week and came together around Humphries.

They finished the meeting to emerge with a culture so determined to support, embrace and aid one of their own, that when other sporting franchises want to start talking up their principles, they should sit back down.

It was United coach Dean Vickerman who first met with Humphries inside his home last week.

Humphries broke the news to his coach before then meeting with United CEO Nick Truelson to explain how he wanted to tell his teammates – and the rest of the world.

David McFarland, who manages Humphries’ off-field interests, was also part of the discussion.

McFarland was also responsible for helping A-League footballer Josh Cavallo become the first openly gay men’s footballer in the world earlier this year.

“It was a huge week to get everything planned,” Truelson said.

“We planned it 24/7 together, but at the same time, we kept it all strict confidentiality.

“The rawness you see in the video of Isaac telling his teammates is very real and it was a huge moment for him.

“It was so exciting for me to see all of his teammates’ reaction of applause and support for him.

“The reaction has obviously been immense. Tones And I rang me straight after the video to tell me she would be at the game (last Thursday night) as a sign of support, Dannii Minogue is also a fan of the club and voiced her support.

“When I originally caught up with Isaac at our offices, I felt proud that Isaac saw us as a club that would be willing to stand alongside him at this moment.

“We love the fact that Isaac wants to be a trailblazer for young boys and girls who are really struggling with their sexuality, to know that you can be a top athlete in men’s sport, especially.

“When you look at men’s sport, not just basketball, but all men’s sport globally, the fact that Isaac is the first openly gay basketballer, shows we’ve got a way to go.

“That’s a really powerful conversation that Isaac wants to have with anyone who has questions.’’

Pick up the phone, Manly.

Let us put things in perspective David Riccio

The Manly Club deserves nothing but praise

The Manly club and its indiscriminative Manly Jersey and the fans accepted the most prominent gay player in Ian Roberts long before you thought of this critical Manly story

Our Manly Legendary indiscriminative Jersey has always respected and accepted all humanity as all lives mater Long before you had the audacity to write this unthoughtful article

Pick up the phone David Riccio and ask Ian Roberts and he will tell you that his best career move was at Manly where he felt Accepted Secure and Happy wearing our Legendary Indiscriminative Manly Jersey that accepts everyone

David Riccio Pick up the phone and ask how would Moslem players , Jewish players , Athiest Players feel if they were made to wear a crucifix jersey to promotive Easter world peace day ?

If you are smart enough David Riccio you would realise that
Sport and Politics dont mix
1668893102452.png

It is a complete non-sequitur for Riccio to instruct manly to call this bloke.

Manly is the only club to do a pride jersey. The others haven’t.

Possibly Riccio could call on the magnicent 7 to call the basketballer, but even that makes little sense.

On another ‘Memo: Manly’ front, I saw what the Canberra Raiders provide in the way of a junior member’s pack last night:
Bucket hat;
Gloves;
Kicking tee;
Bumbag; and
Stickers.

I don’t think I missed anything. And in the adults’ pack, they provide amongst other things, a Raiders’ scarf. Now in Canberra’s winters, scarves make sense.

However it helps to highlight the pathetic, lackadaisical approach towards season members of the Sea Eagles.

Last edited:
Yes yes, well spotted, the key point in this article is that Manly has been referred to unfairly.
But I can't believe the Silvertails intelligentsia haven't picked up on the more glaring aspect. Namely - what a selfish bastard. I'm sure he has made his religious teammates and fans feel quite uncomfortable.
He should have kept this to himself, sexuality and beliefs are no-one's business. It's not as though there's any discrimination against gays these days. Anyway it has nothing to to do with sport, he should have just talked about betting or going out for a night on the booze.

Yes yes, well spotted, the key point in this article is that Manly has been referred to unfairly.
But I can't believe the Silvertails intelligentsia haven't picked up on the more glaring aspect. Namely - what a selfish bastard. I'm sure he has made his religious teammates and fans feel quite uncomfortable.
He should have kept this to himself, sexuality and beliefs are no-one's business. It's not as though there's any discrimination against gays these days. Anyway it has nothing to to do with sport, he should have just talked about betting or going out for a night on the booze.

Again with the fantasy imagining of other people's viewpoints ... and then stating them as "accepted" fact ...

Try just speaking for yourself .. (if your group think cadre allow that sort of independence of thought.)

Why is it you see the need to make a comment that has ZERO to do with the article, you insert your apparent "theories" about Isaac and how he "should have" conducted himself or how his "teammates should feel".

Keep the commentary to the article, why don't you commend the young man for his actions rather than offer up what you replied with

You're better than that SER8.

The genie is out of the bottle, it's inevitable that some sort of representation of LGBTQ people will occur in the NRL, it's just a matter of time.

If that means people offended by other people's sexuality don't participate in those games, so be it.

The antiquated attitudes have to go, they're simply not acceptable & yes, I am intolerant of religious bigotry - sue me.

The genie is out of the bottle, it's inevitable that some sort of representation of LGBTQ people will occur in the NRL, it's just a matter of time.

If that means people offended by other people's sexuality don't participate in those games, so be it.

The antiquated attitudes have to go, they're simply not acceptable & yes, I am intolerant of religious bigotry - sue me.
For your centerlink benefit?

Why is it you see the need to make a comment that has ZERO to do with the article, you insert your apparent "theories" about Isaac and how he "should have" conducted himself or how his "teammates should feel".

Keep the commentary to the article, why don't you commend the young man for his actions rather than offer up what you replied with

You're better than that SER8.
No I’m not better than that, in fact I’m probably worse.

Meanwhile my comment had everything to do with the article - it alluded to the worldwide embarrassment and ineptitude of Manly. You know, how we sent players out to play in an inclusivity jersey without bothering to find out if the club’s own players agreed with it.

Yet now fans are outraged at the unfairness for Manly in having its nose rubbed in its own debacle? Why, because it’s all fixed now? Because they sacked Hasler?

The point – admittedly very crassly put in my post – is to parody the very arguments we’ve seen here on ST in 100s of posts, by those asserting the club should never have used an inclusivity jersey and why they should not do so again. Those arguments deserve every parody they ever get.

The article announces a momentous coming out in a male professional sport, including how this bloke nearly killed himself because he was so conflicted about his sexuality. It highlights all the reasons why rugby league needs to have the conversation about homophobia. Yet I saw not one comment about this, all I see is comments about how unfair it is to refer to Manly’s pride debacle. And a post calling the author Woggio. Maybe someone’s “better than that”.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2