Melbourne v Warriors 08 is a lesson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Steve Price almost single handedly finished the Scum in 08 when he made a massive protest against Melbourne's wrestling tactics in R26 which the warriors went on to win at Olympic Park.All of a sudden the penalties came aplenty and they lost the first semi against the same opposition and fell in against Brisbane and were finally flogged by the mighty eagles.

In talking to alot of my non manly mates many of them are also sick to death of the demise of the traditional ruck area and forward defence in rugby league led by bellamy and co,particularly the death of the ankle tackle and creative dummy half play.

It will only take a pre finals furor to get some real progress towards dismantling this **** and putting an end to the scum.It only took a couple of months this year for them to outlaw the 3rd man in,side on knee tackle of Manu,Proctor and Co.

This wrestling is killing our game as a spectacle as other teams simply follow the leader with Melbourne and it is simple to get rid of if some fortitude is shown by the NRL.Four or 5 penalties in R26 in 08 and a GF suspension for Smith gave us a respite from it-time to finish it forever.

A couple of ideas

-Ankle tackle gets dominant tackle status
-The 360 degree arm wrap of the player after he is on the ground is an instant penalty.Watching players do this and look at the ref waiting to be told to release ****s me.Make the tackle and get off in one motion.Unless it is part of the tackle it is penalised.
-wrestling tactics are outlawed while the player is both standing up and on the ground after an intial impact period.All the scum have done is transfer the wrestle to a standing player until the 3rd man finishes him off after an eternity.

The game was played for a 100 years without this garbage and you don't need to be a genius to know what is wrong and what is not.

u make some good points. I think des would be studying the warriors closely they have been one team over the last few years who seem to have the scums number.

On the roast yester they were talking about the need to bust through tackles or fall to the ground quickly against the storm.

I think it would only take MAnly, Saints and the tigers to all whinge about it and they'd look at the wrestle. One club alone isnt going to do much

I certainly agree that a 'copybook' low tackle needs to be rewarded by allowing the tackler to get up and to marker before the ball is allowed to be played.

the ankle tackle was granted dominant status at the start of this year

granted maybe but not enforced Dan.I dont know how many times blokes have chased down a break and been penalised for not getting off quick enough.the whole thing is a joke atm.

This thread is spot on. You only need to watch Slater to observe it in reverse. Slater, more than any other player, meets the opposition when returning the ball, and almost always finds a way to take the impact of the tackle and drop quickly to the ground to secure a fast play the ball.

Without a change in how the officials rule on this, the only alternative is best highlighted by how Choc wrestles (as the ball carrier) to poke his torso through the tackle while keeping his position upright or at least on his knees to minimise being wrestled to the ground & on his back.

Susans suggested points one and three make good sense. I would think, however, that the point about 360 arm wrap would become a minefield of ref misenterpretation.

Cheating tactics are endemic in the storm club. They are scum. That is all.

The Storm seem to take the player high (usually two tacklers), wrapping up the ball, with no intent on tackling to the ground, then have a third player tackle the legs together so that he can't struggle forward, then excruciatingly slowly lowering the player horizontally on the ground whilst turtling him.

1. First priority is stopping ball movement, disabling the arms
2. Second priority is positioning the player for a third-man leg tackle
3. Third priority is disabling the legs so the player has no choice about movement or body position
4. Fourth priority is lowering the body to the ground on their back as slowly as the referees will allow (which currently is extremely slowly)
5. Fifth priority is ensuring all three tacklers are placed in the best position for getting up into place before the tackled player has the opportunity to get up and play the ball.

We can complain, or we can copy.

What gets me is that the Storm often have a player who comes in with the ball-runner on the ground and turn him over. This is blatantly illegal and yet they got away with it time and time again.

Refs need to blow the whistle.

What's required is good refereeing. Something that is absent in the NRL. How can you expect sense in the tackle, when forward passes are allowed and there are continual mistakes when awarding or not awarding tries. There are five officials with eyes looking at each match, and there are still blatant mistakes. It's a puzzle to me.

Cambo said:
u make some good points. I think des would be studying the warriors closely they have been one team over the last few years who seem to have the scums number.

On the roast yester they were talking about the need to bust through tackles or fall to the ground quickly against the storm.

I think it would only take MAnly, Saints and the tigers to all whinge about it and they'd look at the wrestle. One club alone isnt going to do much

Exactly Cambo. To beat Melbourne we have to try and stay away from the wrestle. Impact, drop, knees elbows. That's alot easier said then done though when trying to break the line is very tempting. We also need to be spot on at marker and defend the way we have been.

strap knuckle dusters and spikes to the body, that will **** em

To stop the slow wrestle all you would have to do is change the way held is called, for example when a player is gang tackled and immobilised while upright call held straight away and allow him to play the ball standing up, if he is taken to the ground then penalise. Therefore it nullifies the wrestle as the attacking team is gaining no territorial advantage by being held still and eventually twisted to the ground.

The Who said:
I certainly agree that a 'copybook' low tackle needs to be rewarded by allowing the tackler to get up and to marker before the ball is allowed to be played.

Exactly. There is no incentive at the moment to tackle around the legs because under the current system it is not humanly possible to get back to marker before the attacking player bounces up to play the ball. They need to find some way of rewarding the tackler by allowing him to get to marker, maybe leniency in pulling the legs around as the the tackler gets to his feet to prevent the tacklee from getting up first.

Daniel said:
strap knuckle dusters and spikes to the body, that will f**k em

Plus elongated knives on our wingers legs similar to those used on roman chariots. Would be very funny against the bunnies.

In the 08 Grand Final I thought we minimised their gang tackling with offloads before the line plus not running one out and isolated - this makes their tactics less effective if they cant get big numbers in the tackle. Dummy half work becomes very important by not being too predictable and sending up forwards with no back up. Forwards who can offload before the line are gold- Glenn Stewart will be key. Think King can play a big role too.

susan said:
Steve Price almost single handedly finished the Scum in 08 when he made a massive protest against Melbourne's wrestling tactics in R26 which the warriors went on to win at Olympic Park.All of a sudden the penalties came aplenty and they lost the first semi against the same opposition and fell in against Brisbane and were finally flogged by the mighty eagles.

In talking to alot of my non manly mates many of them are also sick to death of the demise of the traditional ruck area and forward defence in rugby league led by bellamy and co,particularly the death of the ankle tackle and creative dummy half play.

It will only take a pre finals furor to get some real progress towards dismantling this s**t and putting an end to the scum.It only took a couple of months this year for them to outlaw the 3rd man in,side on knee tackle of Manu,Proctor and Co.

This wrestling is killing our game as a spectacle as other teams simply follow the leader with Melbourne and it is simple to get rid of if some fortitude is shown by the NRL.Four or 5 penalties in R26 in 08 and a GF suspension for Smith gave us a respite from it-time to finish it forever.

A couple of ideas

-Ankle tackle gets dominant tackle status
-The 360 degree arm wrap of the player after he is on the ground is an instant penalty.Watching players do this and look at the ref waiting to be told to release ****s me.Make the tackle and get off in one motion.Unless it is part of the tackle it is penalised.
-wrestling tactics are outlawed while the player is both standing up and on the ground after an intial impact period.All the scum have done is transfer the wrestle to a standing player until the 3rd man finishes him off after an eternity.

The game was played for a 100 years without this garbage and you don't need to be a genius to know what is wrong and what is not.

I don't mind the wrestle and admire the art form Melbourne and Manly have made of it each out doing the other each year. Its good to see Manly mix it up and also slow the ruck with genuine strong dominant tackles not just overly reliant on the wrestle to slow down the ruck.

I very much doubt Dessie would want the rules to change as we are one of the best at slowing down the ruck.

If we go too far in speeding up the ruck all you get is quick play the balls and constant uncreative dummy half running which i find boring.

I recall hearing Bill Harrigan state that tackles around the legs are given some latitude and a second grab to pull the player down to allow the tackler more chance to get to marker is ok. I have seen it happen a few times where the crowd is booing thinking its an obvious penalty with a deliberate second tug of the legs and play is allowed to continue.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6