Melbourne to host 2009 Origin opener

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Melbourne to host 2009 Origin opener

September 4, 2008 - 9:47PM
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/melbourne-to-host-2009-origin-opener-20080904-49z9.html

The Australian Rugby League has confirmed Melbourne's Telstra Dome will host the opening match of the 2009 State of Origin series on June 3.

ARL chairman Colin Love made the announcement in Melbourne attending a function for Telstra Dome's Rugby League World Cup match between Australia and England on November 2.

The move is part of an ongoing commitment to representative league matches in Melbourne and follows a sell-out Origin crowd of 54,833 for the 2006 decider, won by Queensland.

Another Melbourne crowd over 30,000 watched the league Test between Australia and New Zealand the same year.

"Through representative matches and the Melbourne Storm there is a strong commitment to providing Melbourne audiences with direct access to the best in rugby league," Love said.

"The response from Melbourne fans, from the Victorian government and from the Telstra Dome management has been very encouraging."

Game two of the 2009 Origin series will be played in Sydney, with game three in Brisbane.

© 2008 AAP

How many people who attended those matches actually come from Melbourne? Not many.  It robs real supporters of the game of a chance to go to one of these games.

Thats rubbish CW. I had 2 spare tickets to the last game that was held down here, I put them on Ebay for double their original value and had so many bids it wasnt funny. I would estimate that 90% of people at that game were from Victoria.

Matt and I are already planning in taking the Thursday of work.

Fair enough doug but I know many people who made a few days of it and travelled down. Where do all the League fans come from that turn up from Victoria? Apart from Kiwis and expatriate Northerners, who even knows the game exists.

My native Victorian friends don't even know that there are two codes of Rugby, let alone the difference. Is it any coincidence that Perth was the site for the 3rd Super 14 Rugby team, despite Melbourne being 4 times the size and having a history of supporting any sporting event. (Even a good game of scissors-paper-rock gets a crowd of 200 in Melbourne they tell me!!!)

Of course you would know people that did that. My oldies came down for it. However I am just saying that the vast majority of attendees (maybe not 90%) would have been from Melbourne. Hell the storm get 15k or so to most home games, so you can account for about 1/4 of the crowd just there.

I understand what you are saying about people from NSW missing out however was Homebush even full for last years game?

It sold out very quickly last time and if they are going to get a packed stadium, why not have it in Melbourne.

In relation to not many people knowing about league down here. Mate I play in 6 seperate touch comps down here across 2 seasons and almost all of the players are either ex pat league players from NSW or QLD, or are Kiwis.

Canteen Worker link said:
How many people who attended those matches actually come from Melbourne? Not many.  It robs real supporters of the game of a chance to go to one of these games.

I cant see how sydneysiders can whinge about losing a game when they haven't filled the stadium the last few times. 

YOU'RE A THUG CROCKER!!

(sorry just warming my lungs up in advance of the game)

Won't Crocker be in the UK next year?  Maybe they'll fly him back down for another mega-falcon.

I know my best friend who lives in Melb will go to the game.  She's a Storm fan (at least she doesn't go for AFL) and thanks to me she loves League! 

I'm also 60% done with making my fiance switch from the Dragons to Manly... you should've heard her on Monday night  ;D

I can see this thread got me some more smite points. DSM5 I am coming to get you!!!! :)

Doug, do the Storm really get 15 k, I thought it was more like about 10!!!!  Without News money they would be totally bankrupt.

You make some good points about the fans in Sydney and a full house but I still think that the NRL need to look after their heartland.  It is the price of Origin tickets that is the biggest turn-off. The game is withering on the vine with fewer and fewer juniors playing in many parts of NSW - without the islanders we would be struggling more against the threat of Rugby, AFL and soccer!!

I can see this thread got me some more smite points. DSM5 I am coming to get you!!!! :)

Doug, do the Storm really get 15 k, I thought it was more like about 10!!!!  Without News money they would be totally bankrupt.

You make some good points about the fans in Sydney and a full house but I still think that the NRL need to look after their heartland.  It is the price of Origin tickets that is the biggest turn-off. The game is withering on the vine with fewer and fewer juniors playing in many parts of NSW - without the islanders we would be struggling more against the threat of Rugby, AFL and soccer!!

They run at somewhere around an $8m loss already! bankruptcy should have come and gone years ago

It may be 10, not sure as I have really on been to the Manly games down here which do attract between 15 and 20.

No doubt the prices of tickets are high, but they are the same price in Syd as Melb, so how come the "True Supporters" in NSW wont pay but the Victorians are lining up for them?

Sydney people are crap, don't support anything & deserve to lose events to Melbs & The Vegas where people actually appreciate all that life has to offer.

Manly is in no position to criticise any club about attendances this year either. It's been a weak effort by the supporters .

If Sydney people want anything sporting or cultural in their city they have to start putting in a bit of effort & forking over a bit of cash.

That's my rant. Go NSW !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4